Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW

Nashvillian
#1Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:23am

Bernadette Peters was scheduled to sing with the Nashville Chamber Orchestra tonight, Valentine's Day. As many of us didn't find out until we arrived at the theatre...she canceled the concert. Apparently it was canceled on Monday. According to the NCO: “The concert is being rescheduled due to a work-related project that Ms. Peters is working on.”

So...what's she working on that she couldn't know until two days before the concert that she couldn't make it? Sounds fishy...I'd wager money she won't appear in June when the concert is being rescheduled either.

This certainly wrecked our Valentine's Day plans.

husk_charmer
#2re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:25am

Is this the first or second V-Day since her husband's death? It is recent enough that the fact she thought about a concert on v-day is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer
Updated On: 2/15/07 at 02:25 AM

IAMmyownMUSICAL Profile Photo
IAMmyownMUSICAL
#2re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:25am

thats a stinker.

Let's hope she's in good health though, and that its not what caused her cancellation

Now all I see are cute boys with short haircuts in a maze of their own...

DG
#3re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:31am

I wouldn't jump to ANY conclusions! This woman is nothing if not a consumate professional - and the concept of her manipulating engagements simply for personal reasons is frankly inconceivable. I'm very sorry the plans got nullified - that really is frustrating and annoying - but I can't help but think that there's a justifiable explanation.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:34am

did it actually say The concert is being rescheduled due to a work-related project that Ms. Peters is working on?

How reduntant.

Nashvillian
#5re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:31am

Yes, that was the eloquent explanation provided in the city paper.

Sure, the first thing we thought of was her husband...this is the second Valentine's Day since his death. Full sympathies are extended to her for that tragedy...but well, if that WAS indeed the reason, and not the work-related work that she had to work on, then don't book the gig in the first place!

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#6re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:34am

It's not Peters' fault that the venue didn't make announcements when they knew on Monday.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

Nashvillian
#7re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:46am

Well, I'd assume she has control over her own website...where she might have posted a "sorry, Nashville" message...or where EITHER the canceled concert or "rescheduled" one might be listed on her Calendar page...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#8re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:48am

Fair enough. However, she does not have a history of missing shows or cancelling last minute, so let's not jump to negative conclusions.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

husk_charmer
#9re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:07am

And, a lot of times these are booked way in advance, and something really personal has happened and she just could not do it, and a work-related reason is better press than a personal reason.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Nashvillian
#10re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:13pm

I can't help but feel -- and admittedly, it's no more than a "feeling" -- that the event wasn't selling well (it wasn't advertised very well) and so she backed out. And if there isn't better response to the rescheduled appearance, that won't happen either.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#11re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:54pm

Bernadette is a professional and kept engagements that were booked very shortly after her husband's death. It is the venue's fault for not contacting ticketholders and broadcasting the cancellation. Any speculation and gossip about Peter's absence is wasted time and breath. Just be happy she rescheduled and put your positive thoughts her way.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

bially082 Profile Photo
bially082
#12re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 2:59pm

I doubt it has anything to do with her husband. I think she'd be more profeesional and positive than to cancel a show on V-day because of him. It may have been sales, it could also be that somebody paid her more to do something else on short notice....

You are young, life has been kind to you. You will learn.

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#13re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 3:03pm

Having seen Bernadette's show several times I can tell you that she has never acted anything but professional. The show was announced with very little notice and probably without enough time for enough ticket sales.

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#14re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 3:10pm

According to the NCO: “The concert is being rescheduled due to a work-related project that Ms. Peters is working on.”

Without knowing the facts, it's hard but not impossible to call this one...

I can't imagine a professional Broadway performer of her caliber not working without a professional, all inclusive contract. That being said, I can't imagine a credible program director not having a "60 day opt out clause" for career inhancing opportunities. (performer agrees to give no less than 60 days notice to cancel, etc)

That being said, if Ms. Peters had such an opportunity in the wings, regardless if she disclosed this and the venue failed to commit her properly, she was completely within her rights to reschedule and the venue failed by leaving out a very important clause and also leaving their patrons dissappointed. No soup for you, chamber people!

Sadly, it happens all too frequently...thus the reason for the very necessary multi page contracts we dread so much.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

Nashvillian
#15re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 3:25pm

Right, I don't think it had anything to do with her husband. But this is an unprofessional situation, AT LEAST on NCO's part. There were SOME efforts made to inform about the cancellation, but we heard nothing. And how much can you spread the word in only two days?

Who ends up hurt here is Bernadette's fans, who were very excited to see her. And hopefully that is important to her. It would be nice to at least have some sign of that, plus a legitimate, coherent explanation.

Jazzysuite82
#16re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 3:25pm

It really isn't Peter's fault. The venue should have called and sent emails. She gave them 48 hours?! That's plenty of time. Concerts sometimes get canceled. It sucks, I know, but it's happened. It's happened to me several times but I always get notified. As for the reason why, all that is supplied is the press release. Why is it that you automatically jump to the negative conclusion (especially since she has a good track record)? Have you ever considered that maybe she IS working on a project that she needs to keep quiet. Who knows what it is. A pilot, Bounce, a new show. It could be a lot. I would be pointing fingers at the venue.

moljul Profile Photo
moljul
#17re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 3:29pm

I believe the concert was just announced a few weeks ago (probably less than 60 days) so I would believe the scenario of not having enough time to sell enough tickets is more believable. The organization probably thought they could advertise it properly in the short amount of time but I bet she had a clause that if they weren't able to sell a certain percentage of the seats that she could pull out. The work related excuse was probably to save face for everyone.

I agree that her professionalism ia above reproach. She gave a concert 10 days after her husband's death as well as several others in the following weeks. She wouldn't do anything within her control that would be unprofessional or disappoint her fans.

Or yes, she may have had a legitimate work related reason that she just couldn't help.
Updated On: 2/15/07 at 03:29 PM

PB ENT. Profile Photo
PB ENT.
#18re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 4:15pm

I believe the concert was just announced a few weeks ago (probably less than 60 days) so I would believe the scenario of not having enough time to sell enough tickets is more believable

That seems odd to me,too. You book Bernadette Peters and don't announce until a few weeks prior?..knowing you'll need to market this heavy to cover the fee. Usually bigger stars don't take a part of the house because the fee is usually a higher end, flat fee and tickets are higher to cover costs.

Also, most stars of this caliber require a deposit with the contract. If this were a case of too little too late, I sure hope she took the money and ran.

Sorry... I guess the truth is out there, but only TPTB will know. Too bad, though.

www.pbentertainmentinc.com BWW regional writer "Philadelphia/South Jersey"

rosekwbp Profile Photo
rosekwbp
#19re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 4:30pm

It was the theatre's responsiblity to inform the public and had nothing to do with Bernadette if they did not do so in time. And she does care about her fans. She almost always comes to the stage door and coud not be nicer no matter how many people are there.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#20re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 5:18pm

Not to mention, didn't she open GYPSY when she was fighting a cold or flu and was hopped up on medication when the critics were going to be reviewing her. That is dedication.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

flamingo
#21re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 5:33pm

"...was hopped up on medication..."--yeah, those antibiotics really give you a buzz!

But, to get back on topic, for the facts: the first time Ticketmaster started selling tickets was around Jan 21, 2007. Ticketmaster announced, on its web site, that the concert was postponed on Feb. 10.

I do not know what advertising was done to promote this concert. I do not know what her contract says, although what PB Ent wrote really makes a lot of sense to me.

I believe that it is--or should be--the Orchestra's responsiblity to notify the ticket-holders of a cancellation.

The OriginalPoster seems to want something personal from Bernadette-that just seems misplaced to me. Also, denigrating the very professional and caring Ms. Peters and ascribing some sort of deep and dark ulterior motivation also seems misplaced.

Updated On: 2/15/07 at 05:33 PM

Nashvillian
#22re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:45pm

I don't care how truly "personal" it is...but she has a website, she should use it to communicate with her fans in Nashville about this unfortunate occurrence and explain truthfully what happened. At least, issue a press release. This would demonstrate the "caring" of which you speak. We were given a ridiculous-sounding explanation from the NCO, and that's it. No argument it was their responsibility to notify ticketholders; I was not expecting a personal phone call from Ms. Peters.

If you want your accusations of me "denigrating" Ms. Peters and "ascribing some sort of deep and dark ulterior motivation" to stand, you'll need to justify them a little better using the words I've written thus far in this thread.

flamingo
#23re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:56pm

Denigrate="To attack the character or reputation of; speak ill of; defame."

"Sounds fishy...I'd wager money she won't appear in June when the concert is being rescheduled either." "...and so she backed out."
==========
"...ascribing some sort of deep and dark ulterior motivation..."

"...plus a legitimate, coherent explanation. "
=============
Bernadette owes us nothing. We owe her the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you for the opportunity to elaborate.

Updated On: 2/15/07 at 06:56 PM

kjklo
#24re: Bernadette Peters: NO SHOW
Posted: 2/15/07 at 7:06pm

I don't think the NCO's explanation was ridiculous-sounding. It may have been awkwardly worded, but it seemed fairly straightforward and not at all improbable. I think demanding that Peters "explain truthfully what happened" implies that there's some deception involved, which I'm sure there was not.

Videos