pixeltracker

Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?- Page 3

Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#50Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 5:42pm

Ah, Popular, you are right. I stand corrected. Though I still believe that it works. But that's just IMHO.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#51Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 5:47pm

MLE - yeah it worked for me too. Which is not to say that they can't fine tune it to work better... I mean really, even if it's darn near perfect isn't there ALWAYS someone saying it can be THAT much more if this or if that?

Anyway, I was too busy watching Steph belt her face off to critique the lyrics.

bwayguy22089
#52Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:00pm

Personally, I hope it does well. I think at first it will start off slow, especially in previews. However, hopefully word of mouth gets out. I think it will attract a certain kind of audience. I'm sure all these changes they are making are for the best. I wish it well, and I know I'm going to see it.

PS- Stars have to be born somewhere. Although there are no BIG names, hopefully this show will help some of the names in the future :)

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#53Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:06pm

I guess that's where it becomes better to not be emotionally attatched to the performers as people, which then hinders your ability to objectively judge the material...

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#54Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:11pm

Y'know, I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional clunky lyric. Sure, if the whole show is made up of stinkers, then you've got problems. But if a performer is giving their all and drawing you into their world, the exact wording of a few phrases isn't going to be what stays with you. Lord knows I often enough come out with stupid phrases at times, but because people listen to what I'm trying to say and how I'm saying it rather than choosing to focus on my precise phrasing, I get away with it. And I don't even have to fit a certain length phrase or aim for a rhyme or anything when I'm talking so I deserve even less leniency than someone singing a song that has a two-line clunker.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#55Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:17pm

But if a performer is giving their all and drawing you into their world, the exact wording of a few phrases isn't going to be what stays with you.

EXACTLY. If a performer conveys what is MEANT by the words, the actual words don't necessarily matter. Unless of course you are purposely using incongruent wording to say something about who the character is. All I meant, B3TA07, is that I was drawn in like Weez explained... not that I was attached and hindered to make an objective opinion.

Updated On: 2/15/07 at 06:17 PM

WellIfYouInsist
#56Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:27pm

A trip to the PQ boards suggest otherwise.

LittleFish8386 Profile Photo
LittleFish8386
#57Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 6:33pm

Well, Wicked is chock FULL of clunky lyrics, and that show kicks box office ass. I think that show is EXTREMELY trite and boring at times, but the people love it...so, I guess it is hard to saw whether or not PQ is going to sail or sink.

commasplice
#58Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:42pm

I thought it was boring when I saw it in Chicago. I love many of the peformers in the show (seeing Jeff McCarthy in a show? Made me so happy, except for the part where he's not in the second act), and while their performances were great, I thought the show as a whole was not very good (actually, I went back and read some of the initial comments I wrote for myself after the show, and I was surprised at how much I hated it). I wanted to like it, I wanted to care about the characters and not just the actors playing them, but it just didn't happen, and none of the stuff on the couple castcoms I've watched or the Broadway.com video (except the new dancing in the opening number) has particularly enthused me.

That isn't to say that I want the show to fail. I hope that they're able to fix its problems and that the show does well.

Also, I think I'm the only person here who dislikes the song "She, Who Has All." Some pretty music, but "All that I've lived/only now do I see/that a woman in love/it is she who has all"? You're kidding, right?

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#59Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:47pm

I'm not crazy about that line/theme either.

WellIfYouInsist
#60Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:52pm

The line would make much more sense and hold all the importance they want it to hold if they actually took the time to have some info about Elizabeth's romantic life. She never married and was considered the Virgin Queen, for one.

www.elizabethi.org

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#61Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:56pm

Hope not

The composer is not exactly a critic favorite & it is a big musical with a troubled tryout period. Perfect fodder for critics to pounce

This may have to do it on word of mouth & Les Miz fans

Poster Emeritus

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#62Ouch!
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:58pm

That doesn't mean she still didn't have "romance".
So, I don't see how that line really make a whole lot of sense.
Updated On: 2/15/07 at 08:58 PM

WalkOn
#63re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 8:59pm

Strictly from a statistical perspective, don't most show fail financially?

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart; and you'll never walk alone.

ElphieDefiesGravity Profile Photo
ElphieDefiesGravity
#64re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:19pm

Popular, are you sure it's "Am I forbidden a life"? I'm almost positive I heard "Do I abandon her, am I *permitting* a lie?".

"Blow out the candles, Robert, and make a wish. Want something. Want something."

Wishes come true, not free.
Updated On: 2/15/07 at 09:19 PM

WellIfYouInsist
#65re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:27pm

MLE, your reply didn't make much sense either, so it is deemed null and void. Thank you for playing please come again.

WayWicked
#66re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:35pm

I have no desire to catch this show and I love their music!

Happy Happy Joy Joy

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#67re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:35pm

Nice, keep that attitude up. It will get you everywhere on BWW.

But, since you don't seem to be too skilled on picking up on subtleties, I'll just hit you over the head with it.
Elizabeth I had plenty of lovers, she was in no way deprived of male companionship or "romance" as I alluded to earlier.

Clear enough, or should I start to work on a PowerPoint for you?

Oh, and just incase you were wondering, that first part was sarcasm.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#68re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:48pm

elphiedefiesgravity - I'm pretty sure. I remember there was a question about it before and apparantly someone involved with the show confirmed those lyrics. Of course they may have changed since but those were them at one point.

WellIfYouInsist
#69re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 9:57pm

MLE - do you read? I never said she didn't have lovers. I actually implied the opposite, but I guess you couldn't pick up on my subtleties just as aptly as I neglected yours...

Powerpoints are never bad things! Do it! Go, go, go, Grania! Go, go, go, Grania!

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#70re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:08pm

I grow tired of these little snippy games. Just watch your back. I am completely sincere in that and it has nothing to do with me. If use that attitude with everyone who doesn't get what you mean in a post, you're going to run into problems.

Back to the topic on hand.
How would the line make sense like you said, if Elizabeth's romantic history were covered in the show?

WellIfYouInsist
#71re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:26pm

Will you be my bff?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#72re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:27pm

Well, if the show itself isn't boring, then this thread certainly has reached that point.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WellIfYouInsist
#73re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:31pm

WannaBe, you are just that.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#74re: Is the Pirate Queen going to bomb?
Posted: 2/15/07 at 10:34pm

*blush*

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)