pixeltracker

Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall

Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall

dfwtheatreguy Profile Photo
dfwtheatreguy
#1Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/22/07 at 6:24pm

I just got my copy of this CD from their OCt 21, 2006 show at Town Hall - wow! wow! wow!

Something magical and great happens when these two ladies get onstage together and sing. It is such a good CD, great song choice, great audience banter.

Love it!

Who loves Em & Als as much as I do? No one, that's who!

Get these two back on stage together in something, please!!!!!

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

dfwtheatreguy
#2re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/22/07 at 6:26pm

PS - check out Emily's version of Ursula's "Poor Unfortunate Souls" from Little Mermaid - how they could cast Sheri Rene Scott (who is great in her own right) over Emily is mind-boggling.

"The theatre is so endlessly fascinating because it's so accidental. It's so much like life." - Arthur Miller

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#2re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/22/07 at 7:54pm

Emily turned them down. that's why they didn't choose her

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#3re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/22/07 at 11:11pm

Emily's Sleepy Man on the Raw CD is amazing!

LoringsGuy
#4re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:09am

I've been meaning to pick up this CD---thanks for the reminder! re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall

Emily turned down Little Mermaid? I heard she really wanted the role for a long time...in fact, someone on this board commented that the only reason she did "On The Record" was to get in good with Disney so they'd offer Ursula to her. Hmm...I wonder what happened there?

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

bk
#5re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/23/07 at 12:08pm

On The Record was not a happy experience for anyone, from what I understand.

LoringsGuy
#6re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/23/07 at 12:46pm

bk, please elaborate, I'd love to know more!

I got free tickets to On The Record while it was touring, and found it to be quite enjoyable for what it was. I completely understand, though, how it could be unfulfilling as a performer. Skinner had already been replaced by Kaitlin Hopkins by the time I saw it.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#7re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/23/07 at 12:54pm

My understanding is that Emily wanted Ursula, but she and Disney had a falling out over On The Record...she was unhappy, they were unhappy.

I got unconfirmed info that Emily will be doing Witches of Eastwick in DC, and they wanted Alice, but she wasnt interested...her focus is still on Ripley, her band.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

mentaltenant Profile Photo
mentaltenant
#8re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/23/07 at 8:30pm

Alice's "You Have to Be There" still gives me chills.

that album is flawless.

Yankeefan007
#9re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/24/07 at 9:56am

The On The Record story, as I understand it, came down to Emily Skinner's ego and her unwillingness to be upstaged by a newcomer.

Skinner was the "star casting" of On The Record and wanted to be treated that way. However, she slowly started to see that more applause was garnered nightly by her young fellow-lead, a 20-something right out of college named Ashley Brown.

That got her pissed.

Kaitlin Hopkins joined the cast when Skinner left, did the album, and, by the end, the show faded into obscurity like so many other "pre-Broadway tours" that get terrible reviews. Updated On: 2/24/07 at 09:56 AM

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#10re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/24/07 at 11:13am

Love love love this cd, though Skinner makes it clear early on that she's the star (she even has one more number than Ripley). They're both in great voice, but Skinner does tend to ham it up a tad too much for my tastes. Still, her "Sleepy Man" is simply stunning. Best I've heard.

And I don't think Ms. Skinner turned down Little Mermaid. My understanding is she's on Disney's "blacklist" after Record.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#11re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/24/07 at 11:29am

I bought a ticket to see "On the Record" simply to see Emily, but it was right before it was announced Kaitlin Hopkins would take over. The show was horrid (though I must say, I enjoy the recording)- Emily deserved better.

In any case, I was at the Town Hall concert and also have the CD. You Have to Be There remains my favorite song but all of Emily's numbers were spot on- including the unreal edition of Sleepy Man and Poor Unfortunate Souls (love Sherie Renee Scott- but don't think her rendition will come that close, though I obviously have not heard it yet).

Looking forward to seeing Witches of Eastwick- and hope the rumors are true. I have had tickets for a while because I have never been disappointed by a show at Signature.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

dfwtheatreguy
#12re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/24/07 at 1:20pm

Ok, I know this has probably been discussed on this board - but these two ladies should definitely work together again on stage.

I know Alice is LA and Emily is in NY, but if the right show came along they would be magic again.

"Witches of Eastwick" with these two (Alice as Alex, Emily as Suki?) would be great - but Alice isn't interested, right?

In a few years from now they should team up for "Follies" (Alice as Phyllis, Emily as Sally - and maybe Jeff McCarthy as Ben, Hugh Panaro as Buddy????)

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#13re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/24/07 at 2:24pm

Although I am sure Emily has burned any bridges with Disney, why would they let her sing something from The Little Mermaid at not only a concert, but a concert that is being recorded? Or does Disney have no control over who sings their material? Can anyone sing it as long as they get paid?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just have no idea how these things work.
Updated On: 2/24/07 at 02:24 PM

bk
#14re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/24/07 at 4:59pm

As long as the song has been recorded before, yes, anyone can sing it anywhere, anytime they like - if it's being recorded, as long as the mechanical license is filed for there's nothing anyone can do about it, not that I think they would.

bway123
#15re: Emily & Alice - Raw at Town Hall
Posted: 2/25/07 at 6:07pm

I had the privelage to see these 2 fine actors in Side Show when I lived in NY. Some of the best talent around and together they are like a train. Can't be stopped

Videos