pixeltracker

Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical- Page 4

Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical

jg4892
#75re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:55am

Your argument about teens not caring about stuff they already know makes no sense. so, since they already know about sex, they'd much rather see Barbie fairytopia because they aren't familiar with fairies? Oh, by the way, your screen name and a look at your favorite shows is a pretty good indication of your disney obsession.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#76re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:55am

Hey, I'm a teen who watches the Tonys, and I'm not gay.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

jg4892
#77re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 12:56am

Wonderfulwizard, I'm saying the tonys will propel it, not necessarily that teens will watch it. But it will make the show more well known, to parents who may want to bring their teenage children.

wonderfulwizard11
#78re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 1:00am

Do you think parents will want to bring their teens to show about sex. Hell, I wouldn't want my parents taking me to SA.

And besides, the show won't get that much advertsing from the Tonys anyway. Not many people watch the Tonys. It will get some, especially if it wins Best Musical (which I doubt, but whatever) but that isn't going to get teens flocking too it.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#79re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 1:00am

Agreed wonderfulwizard! and jg4892, it makes no sense to YOU because you are only trying to defend your own opinion and not hearing out others...And Barbie is for little kids, it has nothing to do with teens nor do teens watch it so now you are making false statements...And notice how many other shows are on my favorites like 40 so 5 out of 40..yup that's a HUGE obsession..and my screen name does not mean I am obessed, it means I would like to play the part..Wonderfulwizards username doesn't make him obsessed with Wicked
Updated On: 4/1/07 at 01:00 AM

wonderfulwizard11
#80re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 1:05am

Well, I used to be obsessed. My current obsession is Grey Gardens, which I haven't seen ( hopefully in July) but I just got the CD today and I've played it three times so far. I wish it would win Best Musical, but it sadly won't. Boo.

Rentaholic2
#81re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 2:04am

I'm confused about Mary Poppins...I thought it got pretty good reviews and was considered one of Disney's better efforts...was this just the London production? And do people not think Ashley Brown is even going to get a nomination??

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#82re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 2:05am

At first I thought Mary Poppins was getting nominated for Best Musical and everything, but after a while I'm starting to doubt it...As much as I would love to see Mary Poppins and Ashley Brown getting a nom., the competition is crazy and the chances are slim..possible, but slim!

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#82re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 2:06am

What the hell? Who thinks SA has a teenybopper fan base? Spring Awakening is not something you learn about in health class. Aladdin, I doubt you even know what the show is fully about. I've seen PLENTY of people who aren't theater fans go and see this show loved it. Aladdin, you are making preconceived notions about the show and some of its fans.

"Teens who DON'T LOVE theatre are NOT going to be attracted to a show like Spring Awakening"

I've seen PLENTY of people who aren't theater fans go and see this show loved it. You do not know squat about this show's fans.

wonderfulwizard11
#84re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 2:06am

Mary Poopins got mixed-to-negative reviews. it really has not chance at a nom. unless Lovemusik and Legally Blonde both suck.

Ahsley Brown has a snowball's chance in hell. Against Ebersole, McDonald, Chenoweth, Murphy, and Monk? Please.

FutureAladdinOnB'Way
#85re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 2:18am

Forget what I had typed right here, it was just going to turn into an argument and I'm done arguing..If I argue back then more SA fans are going to flip out so I'm not even going to try..

Updated On: 4/1/07 at 02:18 AM

Yankeefan007
#86re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 8:02am

"Non-loving musical teens don't give a care about a show that covers what they already know and frankly, don't always care to hear about it either..."

I know PLENTY of people (teens/adults) who've never seen a show and were enchanted by Spring Awakening.

For future reference, Aladdin, instead of encompassing ALL people in what you write, say something like "the majority of teens...." or "many teens...." Generally saying "non-musical theater loving teens...." is too easy to dispute and that, very obviously, shows. Updated On: 4/1/07 at 08:02 AM

broadwayjim42
#87re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 9:02am

Jeez, I didn't I'd cause this much of a stink.

The first people I told about the show afterwards were people who DON'T like musical theatre because I thought the score and staging might actually appeal to them. I do get Aladdin's point somewhat, though--it may not play well in the hinterlands, but in the right markets over time I think it will do fine. I think Aladdin's referring to people like my co-workers, who return my jabbering on about Broadway with blank stares cause they just don't care.:)

buddharich
#88re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 10:04am

All I know is that I loved loved loved Spring Awakening. Certainly, if it were to win the tony as best musical, that would be a hook (regardless of whether they have seen the awards show) for a large city tour. The real issue with teenagers going or not to ANY musicals is $$$.

As good as Grey Gardens is, unless the tour includes Christine Ebersole, I don't see it as being a big hit on tour, but who knows for sure?

And I have to plug my favorite performance from musicals this year: Jonathon B. Wright of Spring Awakening! I think I'm in love...

buddharich
#89re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 10:04am

All I know is that I loved loved loved Spring Awakening. Certainly, if it were to win the tony as best musical, that would be a hook (regardless of whether they have seen the awards show) for a large city tour. The real issue with teenagers going or not to ANY musicals is $$$.

As good as Grey Gardens is, unless the tour includes Christine Ebersole, I don't see it as being a big hit on tour, but who knows for sure?

And I have to plug my favorite performance from musicals this year: Jonathon B. Wright of Spring Awakening! I think I'm in love...

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#90re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 10:10am

Also, the musical that wins may not even be the one with the best chances on tour. Look at the 2004 Tony Awards. Everyone thought it was going to go to Wicked because of its touring prospects, but it ended up going to Avenue Q. Avenue Q is just coming on tour now, after 3 years. While the majority of the time the Tony voters tend to choose shows with the best touring prospects, it is not always that way.

Also Aladdin, I have a bunch of friends at school who hate musical theatre with a passion and love rap/rock/indie etc., and they adore Spring Awakening.

Elphie4ever Profile Photo
Elphie4ever
#91re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 10:37am

So I am a teen (17) who loves Broadway shows and listening to showtunes more than modern music. Sorry but I am joining the bandwagon where I rather listen to real music rather than crap
So anyways I love Disney but their stories aren't completely new and orginal. They are based on a movie that would hyped other people to watch the broadway production. Ehh, I am more of a big fan of ORGINAL musicals like Spring Awakening.(i think I am one of the only teens my age that heard of that musical in my school) Besides Ashley Brown scares me with all the make up she puts on for Mary Poppins.

Lizzya9
#92re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/1/07 at 4:15pm

becoz please shut up. i'm not trying to get attention or "thread jack", as you call it. I was kindly posting something that bothered me, and the other kind posters informed me that it's just the way people talk. thank you to those of you. becoz, you have to move on with your life.

Stop The Clock2 Profile Photo
Stop The Clock2
#93re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:28pm

I'm in love with both shows, but if I had to choose one, I'd say Curtains. I do hope MP gets a nom.

Updated On: 4/4/07 at 08:28 PM

wonderfulwizard11
#94re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:32pm

Spring Awakening is no more original than Disney shows. The Disney shows are based off movies, SA is based off a play.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#95re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:34pm

Pretty much everything this season with the exception of Curtains was based off of something.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#96re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/4/07 at 8:35pm

And GREY GARDENS is based on a documentary. CURTAINS, at least, is an original musical.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#97re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/4/07 at 9:57pm

And how many documentaries have we seen made into moving, successful musicals, I would like to know? (I mean, it's just such an unoriginal idea! Not that the play-within-a-play thing hasn't been done since day one or anything!)
----------------------------------------------------------------
"What is it about me that people think I'm from New York? I know it's because I talk really fast and have been known to break into showtunes without provocation."-Christine Ebersole ("Live at the Cinegrill")

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.
Updated On: 4/4/07 at 09:57 PM

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#98re: Mary Poppins or Curtains For Best Musical
Posted: 4/4/07 at 10:09pm

Sweetie, calm down. All that I said was that of all the musicals in contention for Best Musical, CURTAINS is the only one that isn't using a film, a book, a play, a documentary or historical figures as its source material. I said nothing about the quality of any individual show. We all know you're a GG fan, and I'm genuinely glad you love the show so much.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)