pixeltracker

L5Y and Wild Party in Boston- Page 2

L5Y and Wild Party in Boston

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#25re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/6/07 at 1:34pm

it's a shame no one is taking on LaChiusa's. arguably a much better version

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

ashley0139
#26re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/6/07 at 5:43pm

I searched the New Rep site and can't find anything about a benefit night. There are the 35 and under night and Out at New Rep night. Are those what you are talking about?

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

giddyup
#27re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/7/07 at 7:53am

Ashley: I'd call the theatre. I am almost poz that they are doing a benefit night with Lippa.

Lady Godiva: Who is your friend in the show? Maybe he/she knows about the benefit night. I want to say it's May 8, but that would be a Tuesday, and it seems more suited to do that kind of thing on a Friday or Saturday, more people to come.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#28re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/7/07 at 11:56am

I agree, Caroline. But colleges seem to be embracing it. My school (Emerson) did it two years ago (I was the assistant musical director) and Megan Hilty did it the year before that at Carnegie Mellon.

~Steven

ashley0139
#29re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/7/07 at 11:57am

Thanks for the info. I'll continue looking into it.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Flaunt It
#30re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/7/07 at 6:24pm

SpeakEasy Stage did MJL's WILD PARTY years ago!

HeidiPuck Profile Photo
HeidiPuck
#31re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/8/07 at 1:25pm

The Wild Party Gala is on May 8. Tickets for dinner and the gala are $250, Gala only are $125

As for the L5Y, saw it last night and I'm happy to report that the theater was basically full. Previously reported glitches had already been worked out, and it was quite enjoyable. If you have the time to check it out, it's certainly worth it.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#32re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/8/07 at 1:57pm

I'm going to the gala! A family friend is a subscriber to New Rep and is giving me her ticket.

ashley0139
#33re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/8/07 at 7:21pm

So... not so much going to the gala. That is not cool.

Blue Spruce Theatre Profile Photo
Blue Spruce Theatre
#34re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/9/07 at 1:25pm

Hi everyone! Google Alerts notified me about this discussion. Thanks so much to everyone who came to L5Y. We're really excited about this production, and I'm personally looking for feedback from anyone who's interested in divulging. Blue Spruce can only grow with your help.

Best,
Jesse
Updated On: 4/9/07 at 01:25 PM

giddyup
#35re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/11/07 at 2:10pm

Rumor is Julia Murney and Andrew Lippa will be there.

ashley0139
#36re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/11/07 at 2:19pm

I can understand Andrew, but I do wonder how Julia would be there. What with her little show Wicked and all. It would be very cool though.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#37re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/11/07 at 4:02pm

If Julia was there, I would be extremely happy but I highly doubt she will be.

ashley0139
#38re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/13/07 at 11:44pm

Saw the production of L5Y tonight. I have seen this show twice before, productions in Atlanta.

I can say that this is a great first go for this theatre. I was glad to see that the audience completely filled up... I even think they added a couple more chairs. Both actors were very good. I absolutely loved their acting choices. They both got more laughs than I remember previously. For me, Summer in Ohio is always the make or break song. Alyson Van De Giesen really delivered with this song. She played it very well. And all the audition stuff (When You Come Home) was HILARIOUS. Jeffrey Prescott was also very good as Jamie. He got a ton of laughs. They both had their weaknesses, but I was impressed. They used a few more props than I would have liked- I've always thought it should be very simplistic. Overall, a very good production of a difficult show. Heartbreaking and beautiful.

actorguy16
#39re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/16/07 at 4:53pm

Leigh Barrett plays Madeline True in WP. She has a blog on the NewRep website. I have been reading it and it sounds pretty good.

http://bstageatnewrep.blogspot.com/

Blue Spruce Theatre
#40re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/16/07 at 5:08pm

Leigh Barrett is one of the top performers in Boston. If she's in a show, you know it's going to be good. The entire cast of WP is made up of top-notch people. This is going to be a can't miss. Very excited.

giddyup
#41re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/17/07 at 4:01pm

My friend at box office said the phones will not stop ringing for this show.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#42re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/24/07 at 10:19pm

Has anyone seen The Wild Party yet? I'm thinking of going some weekend in May.

Random question, but does the Lippa version have nudity in it like the LaChiusa(sp?) version?

ashley0139
#43re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/24/07 at 11:49pm

I wasn't going to review yet, but since someone asked, I saw the final dress rehearsal of WP tonight. I won't fully review it, because I don't really think that's fair when the production hasn't even opened. I will say, however, that I don't know what they're really going to fix. The production was so so great. Save for a few mic/sound problems which I'm sure will be fixed, the entire production looks amazing. The set is gorgeous and works perfectly and the lighting is amazing. Every actor was very good, as well. Leigh Barrett as Madeline was particularly hilarious. Marla Mindelle as Queenie was wonderful. I admittedly had a very hard time getting Julia out of my head, and Marla's voice is a lot different from hers, but still great. Everyone was really superb. Ok, so that's kind of a review. Oh, and the absolute highlight of the show for me was the choreography. It was brilliant. I was wowed more and more with every number. I have never been so impressed by choreography before. It's almost worth the price of admission just to see them dance their a*ses off.

EDIT for the nudity question: I believe I have heard of some productions having it, but this one does not.

Updated On: 4/24/07 at 11:49 PM

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#44re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/25/07 at 12:26am

I was also at the show tonight and was impressed by what was onstage. I think the first act dragged on for me a little bit, but I liked the second act. The performers are fabulous. Everything-the sets, lights, choreography-worked well together.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

giddyup
#45re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:04am

Thanks for the review. I'm going this weekend. I'm surprised there were so many people there. Were they students? Which school/college? It is so great. Maybe other theatres will start doing these "newer" shows.

Blue Spruce Theatre
#46re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/25/07 at 9:54am

The only other production of Lippa's WP that I saw had no nudity, but it was community theatre. I saw SpeakEasy's production of WP (LaChiusa) and that did have nudity (topless), and I found it rather pointless. Probably should have asked MJ about that at the See What I Wanna See talkback and see if he had a specific reason for putting that in. Ah well, opportunity is not a lengthy visitor. ("I wish!") The nudity in MJ's WP could easily be removed or backlit.

broadwaybaby086
#47re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/25/07 at 10:11am

I recently saw a production of LaChiusa's WP at Columbia Stages and it did contain nudity.

I'm glad you both enjoyed yourselves! I'd love to see/hear Marla Mindelle sing something other than the Pocahontas song.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

giddyup
#48re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/25/07 at 4:59pm

If you go to that site we are not allowed to name and/or do a search engine search of her name, you will get about a million websites in about any language that has many videos of her performing. Probably one of her best is the combo, Man That Got Away/My Man medly that she does with another older woman. It is an incredible arrangement that everyone wants but can't seem to get. There are other things of hers, also, showing her very comedic side, for example, her opening number to her cabaret or even her cabaret promo that is the stuff that makes you p-- yourself. She is something akin to a singing "Debra Messing" or Lucille Ball with a dry wit like Ellen Degeneres.

ashley0139
#49re: L5Y and Wild Party in Boston
Posted: 4/25/07 at 5:10pm

The people in the audience were all ages. Lots of students, lots of adults as well. Though the four "older" people sitting next to me did not return for the second act.

Blue Spruce- I was at the MJL talkback as well. That would have been interesting to hear about.

I would looove to see a production of MJL's version as well.