pixeltracker

Legally Blonde Questions - Easter

Legally Blonde Questions - Easter

CirqueDuFreak2
#1Legally Blonde Questions - Easter
Posted: 4/8/07 at 10:47pm

New poster here. I have been watching for years, but felt like I should post after seeing 'Legally Blonde' tonight at the Palace Theatre. Laura Bell came out in the Bunny Costume at the end for Easter, hysterical.

Okay, first of all. I liked the show. I like the show A LOT. I cheered, laughed, sang along and all that schlock that a young showqueen does (not as much as Troop Beverly Hills behind me, screaming anytime one of the boys did ANYTHING) BUT - I have a few questions, and since I havent been following previews or OTT, maybe you guys can help ( I know the show is changing, but we just talking here)

1) Why did it feel like the show became more about the rest of the cast, more especially Emmett, and less about Elle? I felt like her plot was sort of the catalyst to tell the stories of a bunch of cutely written B-Plots. Where was the touching scenes where the pretenses are dropped and we get to breathe in who these people are and how they change her and she changes them. It seemed to be brushed over with hooplah and production numbers(or directed poorly.) Especially missed the scene with Vivian when she tells her that she respects her (in the movie it takes place in her bedroom.)I just felt like Elle wasnt the main character.

2) On that note. Why is Laura Bell's dialogue not AS GOOD as it could be? If anybody saw her in 'Hairspray' you know she is a genius at One-Liners, where were they in this show? Did they just not fit? Because I sure was hoping for some, but it seemed they would just give them to the Greek Chorus. (Although Laura Bell find room for some cute bits with Serious and The Bend and Snap Bit)Its appropriate for everyone else to mug but NOT her? Please... it's Laura Bell, give her a mug and she'll go to town and totally get the audience on her side.

2a)The Greek Chorus - I LOVED THEM (Especially Annaleigh and Dequina) but why did it seem they do more then Elle does with explaining the plot, who Elle was, and what everyone else should do. Isnt it a play about ONE girl who goes and changes a bunch of close minded people, all while figuring out how special she is? I wish Elle was the only one from Malibu in the Bend and Snap number, come to think of it, I wish she was the only girl from Malibu after she arrives in Boston. Although they are funny, they just distract.

3) I hope I say this right. I see that they are trying to make it a two part love story with Emmett, but... why is he ALWAYS the one who inspires the change in her? Why does it never come from within? Or from a strong female like the teacher in the movie - it challenges her to become a stronger woman and find things out for herself. This is the perenniel (sp?) Girl Power story, and I felt like he was the one pulling all the strings. Why is he the one tutoring her? Shouldnt she be figuring it out by herself or with the girls? Why is he with her and Paulette during the dog scene? That seems like it has the making of tons of humorous and inspriring material.I get that he needs a beginning and an end... but, is him being on stage 90 percent of the time the answer?

4)The Cast - Loved it. Except Kate Shindle. Yes she sings her face off, yes she is hot... but where was the cold, proper, New England Ice Princess? She seemed more like Lois Lane in Superman. My own stupid show - go'r opinion, but I would have loved to have seen more development with an actress playing this role, and more of a journey... I think Jenna Leigh Green would have been REALLY good, we could have gotten the COMPLETE opposite OF Elle.

5) I LOVED Ireland (I know what people have been saying, but it was a cute character number), but uh... where was the end of the song? She just kind of ran off on a bad one liner... the audience seemed very confused. BTW - I LOVED the Irish Dance part, but it did seem to stop the show cold for a conclusion to a plot line that we may have forgotten, and by the time we do remember, we've forgotten that Elle is going back to court and that's what we are supposed to be focused on.

6)Nikki Snelson - rock. it. out.

7)I loved the dogs. Nuff said.

All in all. I loved the show, will buy the OCR and listen to it forever, loved the cast, costumes, music, orchestra (go Sampliner), lights, but did not like the Direction. Thats it. Thats what I didnt like. I feel it was a big ball of energy, with no road to follow. So I say, cut Emmett out of half the scenes and numbers he just hangs out in, same with the greek chorus, and give Laura Bell more to do. But I liked the show a whole heck of a lot.

Updated On: 4/9/07 at 10:47 PM

CirqueDuFreak2
#2re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/8/07 at 10:53pm

PS - I wish that they kept Elle's inspiring speech from the end of the movie at graduation. I would have liked that a whole lot better then hearing that Enid studies political law and Warner got a modeling career... what did Elle learn?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#2re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/8/07 at 10:53pm

I agree about Elle's part being underwritten. The book to the show is its weakest aspect. Nice review/comments though...I agree with most of them.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/8/07 at 10:59pm

the book is pretty weak which is so sad considering that the film provided such a perfect road map. I don't know why they chose to stray so far from it, but it wasn't the best idea. some of Elle and Paulette's best and funniest lines from the movie are missing. I wonder if it was a "rights" thing, but I don't understand how it could have been...

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#4re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:00pm

Welcome to the Boards! Thanks for your thoughts. I will see the show in about two weeks and until then I can't comment on your questions except to say thank you for your thoughtful review of the show. Sounds like the show is a lot of fun, but could use some tweaking to make it a truly great show. Unfortunately I doubt much will be changed. If the audience is cheering, they may not feel the need to improve it. Even if it needs it.

Updated On: 4/8/07 at 11:00 PM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#5re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:05pm

I saw the show tonight too. So the bunny costume at the end was for Easter? Ha! I love that. I didn't know if that was how she always came out.

Oh and did you see Neil Simon in the audience tonight? That was cool.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show! I wasn't expecting to like it but I had heard plenty of good word about it and decided to rush this morning. I really had a great time! It was just such upbeat good fun!

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

CirqueDuFreak2
#6re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:36pm

No I didnt see Neil Simon! LOL. But It was a great crowd, and I agree, If the audience keeps going the way it's going, they probably won't change. Which would be a shame to see a good piece settle for being good when it could be great. Too common these days to put in the work, just cuz people know they will make their money back (I don't know if that's true with that show, but it would be a shame if they did)

where's my shoe?
#7re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/8/07 at 11:54pm

I was at the show tonight too. I love the movie, and I found it really distracting that they changed the plot so much, because a lot of it seemed to be only for the sake of making it different. I adore Christian Borle, so I was grateful his part was a little bigger than the movie, but it didn't really make sense. I think the show makes Elle seem really dumb. In the movie, her motivation to change and succeed comes from within, and the show takes a lot of that away. There were some very clever moments, and the cast was amazingly talented, but I was disappointed overall. I must say though, "Ireland" was made very amusing by the fact that the couple next to me was Irish, and were giggling at everything.

"I am concocting a seduction. I do not require a patissiere."-Boston Marriage

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#8re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:29am

i enjoyed the plot was changed. it made it seem better and it was not like they just put the replica of the movie up. i personally love how LBB is not Reese. She won me over. I need to write a review at some point.

was the bunny outfirt the one she wears in act 1?

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#9re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/9/07 at 12:51am

was the bunny outfirt the one she wears in act 1?

Yup.
And I thought "Ireland" was hilarious cause I had recently seen The Pirate Queen. Who would have thought there'd be 2 current shows that mention Irish step dancing! re: Easter at Blonde

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

CirqueDuFreak2
#10re: Easter at Blonde
Posted: 4/9/07 at 8:09am

Not saying I didnt enjoy the plot changes, I'm glad they expanded from the movie, but I don't think the plot should stray from who the main character is, just to give production number time to eveyone else. But I did miss a lot of the funny one liners by Paulette and Elle, that sucked they wernt in it. And I still think that Bend and Snap should be Elle with the Bostonians and Paulette.

Videos