pixeltracker

Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony? YES, BEBE!!!- Page 3

Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony? YES, BEBE!!!

MargoChanning
#50Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:09pm

No. Why would it? It's the same play, same director, same designers, and some of the same cast. For all intents and purposes it's exactly the same production. You get one shot and White has had hers. It would be ridiculous to put the same actress up for the same performance two years in a row (what if the show moved a couple of times? Would you have them nominate her every time she does the same performance in a different theater?).

There might be an argument if they separated the categories into Best Broadway Actress and Best Off-Broadway Actress (and Best Broadway Play and Best Off-Broadway Play), but they don't. There's one Best Play Category (that includes everything regardless of venue) and one Best Actress category. And again she had her shot and she lost. That's it.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

nomdeplume
#51Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:16pm

I can understand for awards purposes that it may not be considered a new production, however, in other regards when a show changes venue I believe it is considered a new and separate production.

Think of it, all new contracts have to be signed. The venue contract changes, the actor contracts as well.

Updated On: 4/10/07 at 06:16 PM

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#52Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:20pm

Sorry about the stupid question...I forgot it was a transfer. :O)

nomdeplume
#53Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:23pm

Brought up a good issue, though, about what constitutes a "new" production and for what purposes, "awards" as opposed to "legal" or technical determination.
Updated On: 4/10/07 at 06:23 PM

MargoChanning
#54Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:29pm

But it's the same performance and none of the awards allow someone who's already been nominated for a given role to be nominated again for that same performance. Look at the Tonys -- Carol Channing came back to Broadway several times over the years in DOLLY, as did Yul Brynner in revivals KING & I, Richard Kiley in MAN OF LA MANCHA and Hal Holbrook in MARK TWAIN TONIGHT!. Even though, each subsequent production (in most cases) had a different producer, different backstage and on stage personnel, different design elements, and for all intents and purposes was a different production, the Tonys ruled those performers (as brilliant and iconic as they were) to be ineligible for consideration for the Lead Actor/Actress Tony. Once you've been eligible for that role once (whether or not you actually won or even were nominated), that's it forever. You have ONE shot. If nothing else, it would be unfair to new performers in new roles to have to compete against people who have been doing the same role for decades, not to mention it would be ridiculous to give one actor 3 or 4 chances to win a Tony for playing the same role.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 4/10/07 at 06:29 PM

nomdeplume
#55Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:37pm

Yes, from that point of view, Margo it is sensible regarding awards, and thanks for your input.

It could be like an endlessly re-elected President.

I know when published books of plays come out, each is listed as a separate production.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#56Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 6:41pm

Do you think Angela Lansbury might win purely because everyone is so excited to see her back on Broadway? I've never seen her perform live, so this question is not based on anything. There just seems to be a lot of hype already. (I do have the DVD of Sweeney with her, and her performance in that is very good, I'd say)

nomdeplume
#57Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/10/07 at 11:01pm

I think that while people may go to see Angela Lansbury due to her longstanding acting career and reputation, she will still have to deliver the goods to be considered.

I doubt she'll get a free pass just because of who she is, but I think to quote Enobarbus' line in reference to Cleopatra:

"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stale
Her infinite variety..."

Antony and Cleopatra

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#58Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 12:15am

I have boycotted all the Utopia plays as I am not keen on Stoppard. He bores me. Plus the stuff I've seen of his has been materialist in nature and void of spirituality.

And Little Dog Laughed is totally unmaterialistic and full of spirituality? Please.

I think Little Dog is a terrible play and would be disappointed if it gets a nomination. I think White is s.o.l. this year.

PEACE.

being.jeremiah
#59Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 12:16am

Bottom line: I'd really be happy for Julie is she snags the Tony.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#60Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 12:30am

I know when published books of plays come out, each is listed as a separate production.

You ARE drunk. I knew it.

PEACE.

nomdeplume
#61Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 12:34am

Yeah, The Little Dog Laughed clearly incorporates some Buddhist thought, and even, oddly, a karmic balance at the end, so yes, it has some spirituality.

I thought Isherwood raised valuable questions about the play's use of language toward gay men in his article, which made the play also have some issues along those lines worthy of evaluation. Updated On: 4/11/07 at 12:34 AM

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#62Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 12:43am

Well if you were spiritually fulfilled by LDL good for you. I thought it was as thin as a crepe and as tired as the old grey mare.

PEACE.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#63Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 8:56am

Are we discussing the play or Julie White's Tony chances?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

nomdeplume
#64Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 10:30am

We've gone into both (I like the play so much I can't help it), but by all means back to Julie White.

She was so on top of the role. I especially liked the scene at the end where she confronts the call boy about the check, because the role is complex there and you can't see her as a villain when she tells him they are soft and he's had it harder than any of them. And then, as she is about to drop THE WORD OF WISDOM, goes all distracted with the cell phone going off.

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#65Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 11:15am

Deep.

PEACE.

LuPonatic Profile Photo
LuPonatic
#66Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 4/11/07 at 1:33pm

I'm sorry SueleenGay, it's hard to take you seriously with that avatar of yours! :O)

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#67Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 5/11/07 at 1:17am

Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?

Look at Gorgeous Julie White at Opening Night of 110 IN THE SHADE!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Wanna Be A Foster
#68Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 5/11/07 at 1:18am

Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#69Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 5/11/07 at 1:20am

I predict Julie will take it.

Wanna Be A Foster
#70Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 5/11/07 at 1:22am

I pray that Julie will take it!

-Kad

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#71Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:43am

Finally got around to seeing MOON, and Eve Best is damn f*cking brilliant.

Though I think Angela Lansbury will win. It's, in all liklihood, her last stab at a Tony. I imagine that, as a voter, it would be difficult to turn her down.

I think Julie White should win, but a win by Eve Best would still thrill me.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

TommyTunesSon
#72Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:56am

All I know is I would cast my vote for Julie White for the tony, yet I certainly also loved Eve Best's performance and I always love Angela Lansbury, period. And I placed the play in 3rd place (Coram Boy is my pick for best play) - so I hope Julie White wins, but this year's races are more suspenseful than usual.

nomdeplume
#73Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 1:57pm

Congratulations, Julie, on your Tony nomination!

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#74Will Julie White Whiffle Away With the Tony?
Posted: 5/15/07 at 3:09pm

"Finally got around to seeing MOON, and Eve Best is damn f*cking brilliant. "

Have to agree with that statement. Its going to be a really tight race this year between Best, Lansbury and White in my opinion. I've only seen White and Best and would still have a hard time deciding between the two. They each gave very different but equally brillant performances.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson