pixeltracker

Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?- Page 3

Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?

RentBoy86
#50re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:39pm

Well, I think it's a little early to start going at each other's throats. Right now PQ is doing good business. I'm not sure how they're "hovering" above break even. How much does the show cost to run? It has great touring potential too. I've never seen the show, I'm just going off what I know. And I don't see YF lasting in the Hilton without it's original leads. And ya never know, it may get horrible reviews, and be a piece of sh*t and not win any Tonys.

husk_charmer
#51re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:45pm

Yankee-
lol, "amazing cancer girl" definitely made me chortle.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

commasplice
#52re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:51pm

"That is complete bullsh*t. People didn't see the show because they wanted to see "the amazing cancer girl." "

And didn't the producers say that the show's closure had to do with cast member absences?

Yankeefan007
#53re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:57pm

Just to clarify, for ANYONE wondering, I meant that remark in a completely sarcastic way.

Maria Friedman was one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure of talking to.

RentBoy86
#54re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/18/07 at 10:57pm

I think WiW would have done MUCH better had it opened in like November. I don't know why, but the show just strikes me as a "winter" type show. it's this big lavish goth musical. It might have done better, or better with an out-of-town tryout.

TechEverlasting Profile Photo
TechEverlasting
#55re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 8:25am

Gosh darn it, no matter how hard you try you just can't keep a secret in this crazy town! You subtly sneak Susan Strohman in to check out a theater during a fight call, and whaddaya know, somehow this leaks out.

Obviously Riedel's column is being used as a negotiating tactic here, either Brooks trying to let the St. James know that they aren't the only game in town, or Live Nation trying to pressure PQ's producers, or a little bit of both. It just wouldn't have been that difficult to arrange a tour of the Hilton theater when the PQ cast wasn't hanging out there.

Where does Riedel get his information? Most of the time he gets it from people who will benefit somehow from having it in print.

"I have got to have some professional music!" - Big Edie

danhattan
#56re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 9:20am

I totally agree with you, Tech. I really think Brooks' people leaked this information to pressure the St. James into a deal. I don't think it's quite fair to bash The Pirate Queen in the process but it seems to be everyone's favorite pass time. Just look at the past few posters...Tech's avatar is making fun of the show and Yankeefan's signature is one of TPQ's worst review qoutes. (No disrespect intended) People are getting so much pleasure out of bashing this show. I just don't get it. I love the show and always will. I just hope the cast isn't second guessing themselves. To me they deserve much better than how the Post, Critics, and these message boards have treated them.

P.S. Getting a tour during show business hours is BEYOND tacky! The Hilton should be embarrassed as should the Producers of Young Frankenstein. Seems like it was planned to have the cast see them though. It could have been arranged for a dark day or morning/afternoon.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#57re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 9:30am

I just don't get it. I love the show and always will. I just hope the cast isn't second guessing themselves.

They're still getting their paychecks, right?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

TechEverlasting
#58re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 10:20am

Just to clarify Danhattan, my avatar is making fun of PQ's graphics and slogans more than the show itself. Their current slogan isn't bad, but they had one in Chicago that was just hilariously awful, something along the lines of:

"When she fought for her country she became a hero.
When she fought for love she became a woman."

How could you expect me to not make fun of something like that? You might as well try to make the sun stop shining, or Riedel stop printing nasty items in his column.

Updated On: 4/19/07 at 10:20 AM

Yankeefan007
#59re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 10:23am

It's no doubt that the story was leaked by Brooks' camp.

It's well known that he and his team are good "friends" with Riedel. I direct you to Tom Meehan's columns whenever Riedel's on vacation.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#60re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:14am

"Brooks also likes money. And since the Hilton is the largest theater on Broadway - it seats 1,800 - "Young Frankenstein" could, if it's a sellout, rake in $1.5 million a week, to become one of the highest-grossing shows on Broadway."

I thought that the Gershwin was the biggest house. I googled the theatres and it shows that the Hilton holds 1,821 and the Gershwin holds 1933. Is that incorrect?

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 4/19/07 at 11:14 AM

RentBoy86
#61re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:16am

I just really don't see YF selling out the Hilton unless it's got some spectacular set that's full of spectacle.

kec Profile Photo
kec
#62re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:17am

"I think WiW would have done MUCH better had it opened in like November. I don't know why, but the show just strikes me as a "winter" type show."

RentBoy, WiW DID open in November. Are you referring instead to PQ?

With regards to WiW, while absences due to illness sure as heck didn't help the show, I believe the fact that it got almost NO publicity played a major role in its demise.

RentBoy86
#63re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:19am

I don't know Kec haha. I think I was just thinking it opened in Febuary for some reason. Thanks though.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#64re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:20am

Not to mention that the show was rehashed Webber trash at its worst.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#65re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:30am

Exactly.

THE WOMAN IN WHITE could have opened in February, April, November, June, or 25 years ago. It STILL would have sucked.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

RentBoy86
#66re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:33am

Yeah, but I think it's the same story as PQ. It's a new show by an established team, yet, somehow, it just isn't like what they use to write. I think the problem with these "brit" spectacle shows is they rely way too much on the actual spectacle.

danhattan
#67re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 11:59am

Tech- Yes, I remember seeing that slogan on a street sign in Chicago. Pretty cringe worthy. I'm so glad they got rid of that! And you know I love your Dairy Queen qoute, as I've mentioned before. :)

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#68re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 1:04pm

If this really happened, there's bad manners involved one way or another. If the company was rehearsing on stage, nobody had any business breezing into the auditorium. I'd like to think Stro did not know the PQ cast would be there.

I agree with Tech- this article sounds like a bargaining chip to get a better deal at St James.

I'm hoping YF is a big hit- and funnier than 'The Producers'.

MadelineKahnFan Profile Photo
MadelineKahnFan
#69re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 2:10pm

I think Young Frankenstein will open at the St. James Theater after all. I saw its star the great Madeline Kahn there in On The Twentieth Century. Broadway has never been the same since she died. Only Cyndi Lauper comes a close second to her.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#70re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/19/07 at 2:24pm

I agree with Tech as well about him writing that as part of a bargaining ploy. Totally fabricated!

I can just picture him lurking on these boards and smirking over the fact that we're all discussing his article. Pathetic.

bardolator
#71re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 11:02am

You're right: the Hilton is the second biggest house on Broadway. WICKED is currently running in the largest.

TechEverlasting
#72re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 11:10am

The Hilton is the biggest available house though. I don't think there's any chance of Wicked closing in time for YF to take the Gershwin, even if Brooks puts it off for 10 years.

Lady Italy Profile Photo
Lady Italy
#73re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 12:50pm

This is all a big fabricated story. Spoke with someone in the cast; Producers and Hilton's General Manager assured all this did hot happen.

SorryGrateful
#74re: Young Frankenstein to take the Hilton?
Posted: 4/20/07 at 3:43pm

I'm amazed that The Pirate Queen is still open frankly. But I also have no desire to see Young Frankenstein either. I suppose I don't really care who takes what theatre.

Oh, apathy.

You promised me poems. ~Tricky