2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS- Page 5

2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#100re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:39pm

I second kelly2.

larry64
#101SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:40pm

The Winner of the Most Distracting Lighting of the Year goes to:

SPRING AWAKENING!

I can't ever remember a show being spoiled by the lighting design, until Spring Awakening. It seems as if someone went to the "useless" lighting store and bought the place out. I was sitting in the first row of the mezzanine and there were lights and fixtures (neon, glowing sun thingy, hanging bulbs) everywhere you looked and constantly pulling focus.

I love listening to the show's recording, but the physical production here is way over the top. Everything is trying to be so cool and hip that it makes the story secondary. Don't get me wrong, I love great production value and cutting edge tricks when integrated to enhance the story, performances, and characters, but this seemed indulgent.

With all the "hit you over the head" technical wizardry in Spring Awakening I kept forgetting what century the story was in!

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#102SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 5:43pm

Well Larry, the show bounces back and forth between the 1800s and the present. The neon lighting is used to represent modern times.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Lizzya9
#103SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:03pm

wow, the actress in a musical category is packed with superstars. They all deserve to win, but I really am gunning for either Ashley Brown or Laura Bell. Cheno is awesome, too. Are these aired on TV?

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#104SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:09pm

I think only in NY.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

One Song Glory
#105SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:11pm

I didn't find the lighting in Spring Awakening distracting at all, Larry. It was probably my favorite technical aspect of the show.

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.
Updated On: 5/1/07 at 07:11 PM

larry64
#106SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:12pm

Exactly my point!

Neon lighting to represent modern times.......that's ingenious!

What'll they think of next??!!??

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#107SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:15pm

I liked Fame Becomes Me, but the lyrics felt like name dropping the whole time. I think I'm the only one that actually enjoyed Curtains' score. I'd much rather see Kander and Ebb win for music and lyrics at the Drama Desks than the fellows who wrote Spring Awakening, which I thought was banal. Now, the Tonys are another story...(Korie and Frankel anyone?)
Updated On: 4/26/07 at 07:15 PM

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#108SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:19pm

I would love SA to win Best Music. While I don't like most of the lyrics, Sheik's music is gorgeous. And if the rest of Fame Becomes Me is anything like "Stop the Show", then it should win Best Lyrics.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#109SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:21pm

Really surprised that Company didn't get a nomination for its beautiful lighting and sets, which I think were in perfect harmony with the conceit of the production as a whole.

Can't believe that the boring dreck that was Some Men was nominated at all.

My Strongest Suit Profile Photo
My Strongest Suit
#110SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:23pm

i'm surprised that aaron lazar got nominated but alex gemignan(sp?) did not. i thought he did an amazing job as valjean. i really think he deserves the nomination.

LET OTHERS RISE TO TAKE OUR PLACE UNTIL THE EARTH IS FREE!

Wanna Be A Foster
#111re: 2007 DRAMA DESK NOMINATIONS
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:23pm

Lizzya9, have you seen Laura Bell Bundy's performance in LEGALLY BLONDE, and did you see Kristin Chenoweth's performance in THE APPLE TREE? And have you seen any of the other nominees in the category?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
Updated On: 4/26/07 at 07:23 PM

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#112SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:24pm

Spring Awakening should get Best Music. I'm not the biggest fan of Sater's lyrics though.

wonderfulwizard11
#113SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:25pm

I'd be shocked if Chenoweth, Bundy, or Brown won. My money's on Audra, who is apparently fantastic. (And no, I have not seen any of the nominated performances, this is just going on buzz.)

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#114SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:28pm

Let me put it this way Audra's name alone says it all.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#115SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:29pm

Oh, there is no doubt in my mind Audra will win. She is in another league from the other nominees.

Wanna Be A Foster
#116SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:33pm

The Drama Desks love Murphy as well. They gave her the award for WONDERFUL TOWN in the midst of all of her absenses. But I'd say it's Audra's with a possible upset by Murphy.

-Kad

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#117SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 7:47pm

I think Murphy should win. I haven't seen Audra yet, so that opinion may change.

VIETgrlTerifa
#118SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 8:06pm

I'd say that Audra is the favorite with Chenoweth in second. I don't think they'd want to give it to Murphy this time.

"I've got to get me out of here This place is full of dirty old men And the navigators and their mappy maps And moldy heads and pissing on sugar cubes While you stare at your books."

neddyfrank2
#119SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 8:13pm

I have a weird feeling that they might give it to Chenoweth because she is host. I doubt they will though.

Edit: Interesting how the two people from Les Miz that were nominated just left. Updated On: 4/26/07 at 08:13 PM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#120SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/26/07 at 9:47pm

I hope not. She honestly wasn't that impressive. She's no Barbara Harris and that's juding only from the album.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#121SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/28/07 at 12:32am

neddyfrank, what do you mean about the two nominees leaving?

But I'm gonna go ahead and agree that I am ALL about Aaron's nomination. I didn't think Norm Lewis was bad though, I loved him. Did not like Alexander though. At all.
But it IS strange that Les Mis was nominated for best revival and A Chorus Line was not.

I hope Audra will win. She's brilliant, but I feel like everyone wants to give THE Kristin Chenoweth a Leading Actress award, not just a nomination.

And something tells me Spring Awakening will win Best Musical. It's a hunch.

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

wonderfulwizard11
#122SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/28/07 at 12:35am

Anna- Neddy means that Norm and Aaron, who both recently left the show were nominated.

AnnaK<3LMIP Profile Photo
AnnaK<3LMIP
#123SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/28/07 at 12:39am

I understand that, I'm not being defensive, it's just that someone said that today at my show when we were talking about it all, and I'm just wondering what everyone means by interesting. SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!

I mean, Denzel Washington? Gun to my head..of course.

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#124SPRING AWAKENING winner worst lighting!
Posted: 4/28/07 at 12:48am

I think Audra is a beautiful vocalist and filled with emotional passion. But when she isn't singing...decent acting.
Kristin sings and acts circles round Audra this season.
I bet Kristin will take the DD.

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

Videos