pixeltracker

things in musicals you like that irk you to no end

things in musicals you like that irk you to no end

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/10/07 at 11:03pm

what are things in muscials you like that still irk you to no end?

For me, I would have to say the Phantom in phantom of the opera. I feel that becaue it has been the same direction ect since it opened in every production worldwide. It feels that the actor does things because he is told to because they are in the script. FOr example when he covers his ears in the repireise of all i ask of you it is as iff he is doing it because he wsa told to od it at that particualr point. I feel that they are starting to phone in thier preformances and i's hardto find any originalaty in that role.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#2re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/10/07 at 11:07pm

Not one musical in particular, but one thing about musicals (typically older ones) that annoys me to high hell is when a choral number starts, the stage is empty, and then 30 chorus members enter the stage to sing.

It's the stupidest thing. "The Wells Fargo Wagon" scene of THE MUSIC MAN comes to mind, though the revival had Gracie Shinn start the song with people filtering on - as opposed to the typical way to do it.

Not a favorite of mine by any means, but it's like in MARY POPPINS (during either "Let's Go Fly a Kite" or "Jolly Holiday" - I can't remember they all just meshed into one mess of a song -) when the entire ensemble just dashes out of no where to begin singing.

AWFUL.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#2re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/10/07 at 11:14pm

I thought you hated PHANTOM anyway, Winston? You didn't even stay for the second act.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/10/07 at 11:19pm

I feel the same way about it, Munk. It particularly bothers me in Jerry Herman musicals--though I think it's done in a different way though it still irks me to no end.
MACK & MABEL is one of my favorite shows but I can't stand it when Herman uses his formulaic 30-people-ensemble numbers like "When Mabel Comes in the Room." Same thing with "Mame," I like the score but hate that one number--and yes, I know it's a classic and whatnot.
This also happens in SHOW BOAT during "Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man of Mine" after Julie does her beautiful rendition and Queenie and Joe do theirs, the whole ensemble starts singing and it just irritates me.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Rentaholic2
#4re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/10/07 at 11:37pm

***Spoiler about Miss Saigon****

It always drove me crazy that, after Kim commits suicide, the lights fade and you can see her get up and walk off stage...and there's no more music. (atleast in the tour I saw) It's so anti-climactic. Wouldn't it be much more appropriate for there to be one last "This Is The Hour" Reprise following her suicide? It would be like if Jean Valjean died and the show just ended without the "Do You Hear the People Sing?" Reprise.

beyondblessed Profile Photo
beyondblessed
#5re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 12:05am

I don't think I've ever seen this on broadway, but ever other amateur theatre production I've seen has some big musical number that ends really big with high energy and then whomever is singing reaches the song's end/climax and falls on the floor from supposed exhaustion. It's so annoying to watch.

Going to a musical late in its run is like going to a prostitute late in her shift.

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#6re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 12:34am

The 'Masculinity' number in "La Cage Aux Folles" has always bugged the hell out of me.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#7re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 12:41am

The critics.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

mattonstage Profile Photo
mattonstage
#8re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 12:45am

Something else that bugs me is whenever anyone sings the word 'you' in a song, must they always point to that person, or the audience if they're alone on stage. Most people get who 'you' is they don't always need the physical reference.

I killed the boss, you don't think they're gonna fire me over a thing like that!!!!

#9re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 12:58am

I only saw the Hal Prince Show Boat in the 90s but I thought the blacks coming in to sing Lovin' Dat Man actually made a lot of dramatic sense. but I (annoyingly) never bought the cast album from that version and can't remember how it worked.

For me on that comes to mind--I honestly really love Miss Saigon. but I *detest* nearly everything about Bui Doi--except it's intention of course

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#10re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 1:06am

D2, Yes it is true that I said I hated Phantom. However, my cousin who is my age (17) is from LA and wanted to see a broadway show. Her parents and my mom thought it would be a good idea for me to go with her because I love theatre. I was nice enough to let her pick out the show that she wanted to see. She picked Phantom. I was nice enough to keep my mouth shut aobut how I feel about the show.

Actually, when I walked out of the theatre after the second time( first full time) I kinda liked it and now do.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

misschung
#11re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 1:29am

Not one musical in particular, but one thing about musicals (typically older ones) that annoys me to high hell is when a choral number starts, the stage is empty, and then 30 chorus members enter the stage to sing.
yes.

I have to think of more, but there's nothing worse than hearing a musical number approaching and getting that "oh no, its another song" feeling. I'm not going to lie, this happened a lot to me during 1776

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#12re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:15am

Bad choreography...more specifically, when choreographers think that choreography means having an entire cast (usually way too big for the show and the stage) doing all the same choreography at all the same time, always facing front and smiling. Its never as impressive as you think it is! Too many high school and community theatre shows (and sadly a few proffesional ones as well) have been ruined by this.

Akiva

gypsiedtokill Profile Photo
gypsiedtokill
#13re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:56am

I don't like the show, but the something that pisses me off to no end is on the Fame on 42nd Street recording during "Hard Work," when, in the middle of a very long dance break, the entire cast yells, "EVERYBODY DANCE!"
That always makes me want to punch something.

I can't talk now. I gotta go get my wallet out of the toaster.

clarkstallings
#14re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:02am

Don't get me started on directors who, rather than hurt a few feelings, decide that every member of the fifty person ensenble, which is already thirty people too large to begin with, must perform in every single musical number.

shesamarshmallow
#15re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 2:27pm

That "Oh What a Night" isn't Tommy DeVito's song, and that "C'mon Marianne" wasn't written by Bob Gaudio. Tricksy!

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

RadiGal2 Profile Photo
RadiGal2
#16re: things in musicals you like that irk you to no end
Posted: 5/11/07 at 3:22pm

I just hate they way they burst into song..it's so unrealistic.

he he
kidding...
but, one of my bigger complaints about movie musicals that lately they seem almost apologetic about being one...just one example that comes to mind was in Chicago during Mama Morten's solo they spent more time in the drab prison wear and the sudden jerking back and forth between the nightclub and prison was off-putting.

"I'm a one-eyed Mormon Democrat from conservative Arizona, and you can't have a higher handicap than that." ~The ever-great and fabulous Morris K. Udall.

Videos