Hairspray on Oprah...

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#75re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:10pm

1stly Elijah said "cement" not "semen" about what they put in his hair!!

I kinda have to agree with muscle on a few things. Oprah could have gone to see the Broadway show and caught the original movie. But how many times have we seen her at a Broadway opening? Not many. Unless it has been a black oriented show or one of her Hollywood friends is in the show. Yes, she does good things for a lot of people. And who knows, she may contribute in some way to theatre arts that we don't know about. But her focus is on Hollywood when it comes to entertainment. I actually shouted at my TV when she proclaimed that Queen Latifah was the only person who could have played the part. Yeah, I thought she was right for it, but how would Oprah know? She wasn't familiar with the show or original movie. (I have seen both)

And stressing that the girl playing Tracie worked in an Ice Cream shop was a tad bit much. She was 17 at the time! I worked in a supermarket when I was 17-18. That's what a lot of kids do! It did come across as a bit demeaning.

I have seen Michelle P. interviewed before, and she has been just as quiet as she was today.

As far as the clips we saw, I will see the movie. Not crazy about the version of "You Can't Stop the Beat" that we heard. For me, it lacks the punch of the stage version. Not too crazy with what I saw of Travolta, but want to see the entire movie. Especially for Michelle P.

Just my opinions!

Just give the world Love.

jimnysf
#76re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:15pm

I kinda have to agree with muscle on a few things. Oprah could have gone to see the Broadway show and caught the original movie. But how many times have we seen her at a Broadway opening? Not many. Unless it has been a black oriented show or one of her Hollywood friends is in the show. Yes, she does good things for a lot of people. And who knows, she may contribute in some way to theatre arts that we don't know about. But her focus is on Hollywood when it comes to entertainment. I actually shouted at my TV when she proclaimed that Queen Latifah was the only person who could have played the part. Yeah, I thought she was right for it, but how would Oprah know? She wasn't familiar with the show or original movie. (I have seen both)

I agree with you. She is an authority on nothing but millions who don't want to think for themselves, eat up every word she utters(Dr. Phil, too).

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#77re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:16pm

All the music was temp score - so I wouldn't judge too much on the 'punch' not being there.

It is pretty astounding to go from Coldstones to having your picture all over magazines and billboards in less than a year.
- Oprah just has an oddish way of putting things.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#78re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:18pm

cant wait for your review mateo!

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#79re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:25pm

The music in the film seemed over produced in the clips they showed. And the energy level of the vocals didn't seem to match with the energy level of the performance that was being given.

But I know I can't judge from the few clips I saw. I'm very excited for this film and hope that it is a SMASH hit!

That was just the impression I got from watching those clips.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#80re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:25pm

I don't think it is so much odd. She sometimes says things that that that make it seem so foreign to her. Like she couldn't fathom working in an Ice cream Shop. That's what bugs me. And then when it is convenient, she talks about how poor she was and the things she didn't have as a kid and the things she had to do to survive.

Just give the world Love.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#81re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:26pm

The music and mixing have not been finalized.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#82re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:27pm

gotcha!

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

SweetQintheLights
#83re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 7:46pm

Pfeiffer didn't seem bored to me, she seemed quite nervous.

"How bout a little black dress?"~hannahshule "I have a penis, not a vagina." ~munkustrap178

#84re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 8:09pm

Good promotion for the movie--I have a few non musical fans who knew nothing about it who have MSNed me since the show was on saying they want to see it.

Still I agree it was a mess--couldn't Latfiah at least have sung Stop the Beat?? And as fun as the choreography looks I hate to say I've seen that original number--the Jerry Mitchell choreography--so much that anything less seems wrong--it's iconic! That arm role, etc. Still I got over it with Chicago so I guess I can here

Greekmusicalfan Profile Photo
Greekmusicalfan
#85re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 9:20pm

mateo, you know that WE ARE DYING FOR YOUR REVIEW !!!!!!!! Have mercy on us !

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#86re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 9:21pm

Uncageg, that was the one thing that kind of jumped out at me on the show, also--when O. went on and on about how only Queen Latifah (whom I love, don't get me wrong) could have played the part, and how the director/producers must not even have considered anyone else, etc. Even if it's all true and they didn't even consider any of the fine actresses who have played the part on Broadway, it seemed like kind of a slap in the face to them.
Otherwise, I enjoyed the show, and I think the movie will be fun, although I'm also still reserving judgement on Travolta. I am worried, after all of Oprah's gushing about how "sweet" his Edna was, that she is TOO sweet. I did not think of Edna as "sweet" when I saw Harvey play the part!
Karen

Maggie-the-schnoodle

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#87re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 9:21pm

I just love John Travolta's 'press' wig. Looks quite natural.

How do we know it's a wig? First when he arrived to begin filming HAIRSPRAY in Toronto, the famous photo of him (you all know which one) stepping off his plane, he has a buzzed head. About a month into filming, Entertainment Tonight profiles/interviews him 'on location', and he's sporting this 'press' wig. IMPOSSIBLE for buzzed hair to grow THAT long in a month.

This past weekend he was at the Grand Opening of The Cove on Paradise Island in the Bahamas and he was seen sporting his buzzed head. Today's Oprah was broadcast 'live' (so it's from today: Wednesday 5/16/07) and he's sporting that 'press' wig. Again...IMPOSSIBLE for him to grow his hair this long in 4 days.

Love it, though -- I ain't hating. re: Hairspray on Oprah...

From earlier today (Wednesday 5/16/07): John sporting his 'press' wig alongside Michelle Pfeiffer:
re: Hairspray on Oprah...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Here's an interesting bit of John regarding this past weekend and his being seen publicly without his 'press' wig (he arrived sporting his buzzed head instead):

Sounds like John Travolta may have needed more than just a spritz of hairspray this weekend when he hit the opening of the Cove Atlantis resort in the Bahamas.

I hear that Travolta, who dons drag for his starring role as Edna Turnblad in the new movie musical Hairspray, was none too pleased when he showed up for the resort's '70s-themed party on Saturday night.

Someone apparently forgot to tell Travolta and his wife, Kelly Preston, that there would be a red carpet for the shindig, according to a source. "They were the very first to arrive," an eyewitness tells me. "All of a sudden there was a huddle" between the Travolta camp and Cove staffers.

"I didn't know there was going to be a red carpet," Travolta said, according to my eyewitness. "I can't do interviews. My hair isn't right."

Travolta and Preston skipped the red carpet altogether.

A rep for the Cove confirms Travolta's media blackout, saying, "He was fine. He had a great time. He just didn't do interviews."

Travolta's rep also insists "he had a spectacular time."

"Of course we knew there would be media there, and we also knew that it was optional," the rep added. "It had nothing to do with keeping camera ready."

Updated On: 5/17/07 at 09:21 PM

antonijan Profile Photo
antonijan
#88re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 9:55pm

Zac Efron is mucho delicioso!!!

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#89re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:07pm

broadway enthusiast asked, so I tried:

Big Blonde and Beautiful (reprise)

Velma: Those lips, those eyes

Edna: That food! But there ain't nothin' like a spread to get ya in the mood.

Velma: Wilbur, can't you feel the burnin' flavor____ ? You're gonna need more than ______!

Edna: Well then look out Ol' Baltimore.

Velma: I'm sellin' something you can purchase in a 10 cent store.

Edna: Oh Wilbur, I feel like a princess, come on and take me to the ball!

Velma: I bet your tired of heavy lifting, get your hands on somethin' small.

Edna: Because, I'm BIG

Velma: Blonde

Both: and Beautiful! It's time to face the fact, its irrefutable.

Velma: Why waste one more minute.

Edna: Now I'm feelin' brand spankin' new!

Both: Hey Wilbur take a look it's all for

Velma: You.

Edna: You!?

Only those two Velma lines I couldn't get.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 5/16/07 at 10:07 PM

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#90re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:14pm

thanks so much! i love those lyrics! haha. does it take place like right before YCSTB? or perhaps timeless to me?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#91re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 10:16pm

before timeless- there are great scenes in between them though.

like really great.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

BroadwayEnthusiast2
#92re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:04pm

yay! ok now stop! lol. i dont need or want to know anymore. : )

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#93re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:06pm

good! :)

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#95re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:19pm

Who cares!? The guy wants hair.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#96re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/16/07 at 11:51pm

i think it would be fun to shave my head and wear various wigs everyday! wee!

Your fupa is showing.

#97re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 12:10am

Zach is adorable but wow when they cut to him in the audience he looked like he was made of plastic...

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#98re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 1:25am

I know - he looked like a Ken doll, er, Link doll.

-Adam Shankman.

-E!'s "The Soup"

Chardonnay
#99re: Hairspray on Oprah...
Posted: 5/17/07 at 1:47am

Ya Michelle came off a little bitchy, but I thought it went very well! I missed the performances at the beginning... YOUTUBE!!! Queen was right... Nicole is so lovely and poised. I couldn't be happier for her! SO PSYCHED TO SEE IT!!!