pixeltracker

MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?- Page 2

MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#25re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 12:06pm

Unless I'm wrong, I don't recall the word "vaudeville" being mentioned in the script ONCE.

Ummm...did the cast of THREEPENNY OPERA come center stage and scream: "JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW. THIS IS BRECHTIAN THEATRE"?

No.

Because some people don't have to be told.

They just know.

Then I guess from here on in I should think of myself as the clueless wonder!

RockabyeHamlet
#26re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 12:36pm

"Ummm...did the cast of THREEPENNY OPERA come center stage and scream: "JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW. THIS IS BRECHTIAN THEATRE"?"

- That actually would have been really funny.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#27re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 1:34pm

Ben Brantley's New York Times review was mixed to positive, with much praise to Capethia Jenkins, Mr. Short himself, and a little shout-out to Mary Birdson.

However, no mention of Brooks Ashmankas, the only Tony nominee.

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#28re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 1:51pm

Did it recoup or not? That is the question.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#29re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 6:45pm

I doubt it recouped but I also think it was never intended to have a very long run

Poster Emeritus

pc1145N2 Profile Photo
pc1145N2
#30re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 9:23pm

I saw this show during it's pre-Broadway run in Chicago. ALL the cast members are wildly talented (shout out for Capathia) but the show just didn't work for me. In all my years of show going, it's the only one I was dangerously close to leaving at intermission. Thank goodness, I didn't leave or I would have missed Capathia's showstopper.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#31re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 9:32pm

I was very disappointed with Big Black Woman - it was quite tame compared to what it should have been. Capathia has way more in her than that. If you want a show-stopping song, give her a damn show-stopping song - don't make it a show-stopper simply by baiting the audience.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#32re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 9:43pm

ive only heard the first song on the cd-and i LOVED that song. very catchy.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#33re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 10:12pm

Saw the show mid-run. Didn't get to see Nicole Parker (love her on the cast album, though) but I did get to see her replacement (Nicole left the show in December than came back when it closed), forgot her name, but she did a flawless imitation of Sarah Jessica Parker and Renee Zellwegger. mary Birdsong was wonderful, too-uncanny Judy Garland.

I enjoyed the show. It was fun. It was overall generally funny with some hysterical moments, and Martin Short has enough energy to perk up Ben Stein. Capathia Jenkins, was...alright. I didn't know what she was capable of until I saw her perform "My Handyman Ain't Handy No More" from Stairway to Paradise. If she had performed "Stop the Show" with THAT much energy and attitude than the entire theatre would've been standing on their chairs while applauding her. But it was a fun evening.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#34re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/1/07 at 11:25pm

Saw the show and completely loved it.
ESPECIALLY the Wicked parody.

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#35re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/2/07 at 12:27am

what parodies of shows were involved?

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#36re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/2/07 at 12:28am

I hated the show as well. When I saw it half the audience left at intermission.

jaded
#37re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/2/07 at 12:38am

it would have ran longer (until the TONYS) had marc shaiman not decided he wanted to leave. marty was willing to keep it open the five months until tony time, but without marc shaiman that was a no go. seth rudetsky's name was thrown around to replace him but ultimately the decision was made to close.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#38re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?
Posted: 6/2/07 at 1:27am

I caught FAME BECOMES ME on August 29th (and yes) I absolutely adored the show. HUGE fan of Marty's work - Loved the score catchy, with oh-so-clever lyrics, solid banter throughout, and the opportunity to see Marc Shaiman up there was a treat in itself. The ensemble was fantastic, as well. Have the album - LOVE IT! "All I Ask" is hilarious "Glass is Half Full" is actually kinda touching. End of thoughts. re: MARTIN SHORT: FAME BECOMES ME - was it a hit or flop?