pixeltracker

Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?- Page 6

Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#125re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 6:57pm

After watching Logan0215's link, I totally think Cyndi has it in her to replace Christine. Even if they have to lower some of the songs for her, she'd be amazing as Little Edie.

Miss.Vanessi
#126re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:05pm

OK, is she really going on vacation in July or not? I know there was a press release about her doing the Rosie cruise, but that's long since disappeared, and she's never been listed on the rfamily website. Confusing, confounding, but I may be going to NYC in July, so I guess I'll see whoever comes out on stage, haha.
As for a replacement, I can't think of any at the moment that haven't been suggested. My unnecessary two cents on the matter of Patti LuPone, though, is a big old NO. The beauty of having someone like Christine in the role is that you're seeing someone who is willing to transform herself into Little Edie. With Patti, you'd be seeing too much actress and not enough Edie.

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#127re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:06pm

Patti is just not a character actress. That's why it wont work. Christine is BRILLIANT at character acting.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#128re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:10pm

fflagg-
Does Catherine O'Hara have the vocal chops of Ms. Ebersole? She sang well in A Mighty Wind and Guffman, but I don't know if she has that sort of range. I think the role for Ms. O'Hara is Sally in Follies.

burntplains Profile Photo
burntplains
#129re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:12pm

I agree after seeing logans link of Cyndi!

Miss.Vanessi
#130re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:16pm

Exactly, ljay!

It's like writing "Norma Shearer for the win!" in a Joan Crawford biography.

Clara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
#131re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:18pm

Logan, you deserve a medal - I think you just found Christine's replacement. Am imagining Cyndi's Revolutionary Costume now...

Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...
Updated On: 6/23/07 at 11:18 PM

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#132re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/23/07 at 11:29pm

I think this would be great for Marin Mazzie as well, belleof14thstreet.

Just gonna throw it out there, but didn't Ms. Streisand her self show interest in this project? I seem to remember some talks about her recording "Another Winter in a Summer Town" and some other songs from the show.

If she were to pick any show to return to Broadway with, it would probably be this one. Granted, she's a lot older now and I know that she bears no physical resemblance at all to either of the Beales, but if they wanted to pull in a star to keep the show going, she might not be a bad choice.

Granted, they would save money already because Ms. Streisand has made it rather clear that she will never do 8-show a week again...

And, with that rambling, I think it's clear I need sleep.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#133re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/24/07 at 5:18pm

Ok, Streisand or Liza or somebody NEEDS to record Another Winter in a Summer Town. It NEEDS to become a pop hit. It's such a brilliant song.

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#134re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/24/07 at 5:23pm

When I first opened this thread I thought that picture was Patti LuPone in her Norma drag.

re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?

Just throwin' that out there.

Not that I think she should play Edie (even though I'd love that.)

Vicky Clark is my favourite that's been thrown out on this thread.

ETA: Cohenour would kick major ass as well.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley
Updated On: 6/24/07 at 05:23 PM

chris d
#135re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/24/07 at 5:23pm

has anyone mentioned Glenn Close?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#136re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/24/07 at 5:30pm

Glenn Close has a VERY limited singing range.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#137re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/24/07 at 5:38pm

Cyndi would be wonderful but I was hoping The PaperMill Playhouse would do it right and at least try and get her for "Little Shop". It's only a month and local.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#138re: Who Do YOU Want to Replace Ebersole?
Posted: 6/24/07 at 6:51pm

Glenn Close would be wrong for the role (as most of the people mentioned on this thread are) and she is doing a TV show now, plus she would never replace anyone on Broadway.
Marin Mazzie is too young, she will make a great Big Edie/Little Edie in a few years from now. I'm sure she'll indeed tackle the role somewhere (LA? San Francisco? Kennedy Center?) and I'll be there to see her master it.
Rumor is Victoria Clark is being pursued for the FOLLIES transfer as is Donna Murphy, Faith Prince is tied up with A CATERED AFFAIR. Patti LuPone--as Ljay very well explained--is SO wrong for the part she would be more appropriate as Gould than in Ebersole's role.
Cyndi Lauper would probably be great, not sure if she would do it though. Not sure who else would be both right for the role AND available to do it.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"