pixeltracker

Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread

Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread

robstyle001
#1Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/19/07 at 8:52pm

Hey guys im seeing Les Miz tomorrow and wanna get the soundtrack off iTunes, what is the best one? help?

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#2re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/19/07 at 8:58pm

Well I find the French Paris Recording the most satisfying... but if you're looking for an english recording I'd go with the 10th anniversary recording or the Complete Symphonic Recording.

Have fun at Les Mis.
Updated On: 6/19/07 at 08:58 PM

robstyle001
#2re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/19/07 at 8:59pm

thankyou thankyou thankyou...

are they not doing a revival recording...?

what one is complete and most like the revival?

Raviolisun Profile Photo
Raviolisun
#3re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/19/07 at 9:01pm

1. It's a cast recording, not a soundtrack.

2. London. The Fantine (what was her name again? re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread ) will rock your life.

One time, Patti LuPone punched me in the face...

It was awesome.
- theaterkid1015

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#4re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/19/07 at 9:07pm

Yes but apart from Ms. LuPone the London Cast recording isn't as exciting as the other recordings, its kind of slow... but Ms. LuPone as Fantine is a treasure!

NO they're not recording the revival.
and none of them are "most like the revival" since the revival lacks a lot of the original qualities of the show.

The Complete Symphonic Recording is the most complete, however it lacks Colm Wilkinson, although it does have Anthony Warlow as Enjorlas, who is undoubtedly the best in the role! Updated On: 6/19/07 at 09:07 PM

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#5re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/19/07 at 9:30pm

off topic-
do a guy a favor:
I own The complete symphpmic recording, and my 2nd disc (out of three) was broken. could anyone please send me the 2nd disc of the CSR as mp3 files? I want to holler: "at last! my CSR is complete again!".

PM me.

thanks. :)

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#6re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/20/07 at 5:07am

Definitely has to be the CSR or the 10th Anniversary Concert. Both have Philip Quast as Javert, so both do it for me. ^_^ (Both have Michael Ball as Marius so that's fine too.) From there, you have to decide if you want an amazing Valjean (TAC) or an adequate one (CSR), an amazing Enjolras (CSR) or a decent one (TAC), an Eponine with powerful enunciation and a strong voice (TAC) or a soft and heartbreaking one with a Japanese accent (CSR), a shrill Cosette (CSR) or a bearable one (TAC), and uh... well, deciding between Fantines is really a matter of personal taste. Oh, and if hearing applause is going to upset you, avoid the TAC. But if you would totally be sold by a bevy of Valjeans singing 'Do You Hear The People Sing?' in a variety of languages, then you shouldn't choose anything else.

When I add it all together, I prefer the CSR. Many people prefer the TAC. Personal taste, I'm afraid. The CSR is a little more complete, but the TAC has enough that you don't notice it's lacking in a few places.

Mattbrain
#7re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/20/07 at 7:18am

I have the London recording, the CSR, and the TAC. For an awesome cast, I would go with the TAC. For a complete recording, I would go with the CSR.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#8re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/20/07 at 11:14am

The only reason I would recommend the CSR is because of its completeness. I feel the cast has very little chemistry (except for the Eponine and the Marius) and some of the larger ensemble numbers are just plain awful (they used past Valjeans and Javerts for the student chorus, I think). And for me both Fantine and Cosette are horrible.

I do think that the TAC is the best all around cast that is on an English recording. The only reason I would recommend a different album is if you wanted the best Eponine (Original Broadway Cast recording).

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#9re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/20/07 at 11:58am

CSR. The orchestra and chorus are mushy and poorly recorded on the TAC.

Shawk Profile Photo
Shawk
#10re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/20/07 at 12:03pm

Yes, but the CSR has the lame LA students, who seem (inexplicably) uninspired by Anthony Warlow's Enjolras. re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread

I think it really depends. If you want completeness (at least, complete as the show was then), the CSR may be for you, although the tempos are a bit weird as different singers were recorded in different countries. I prefer the TAC as far as many of the performers, and it has tempos that don't confuse me.

'"Contrairiwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."' ~Lewis Carroll

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#11re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/20/07 at 12:08pm

CSR is great except for the shrieky, bleating Cosette. SHE has the kind of voice that turns people off cast recordings forever... (I've said this in another post-- even tolerant friends will request that my CD be changed when she starts singing)

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#12re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread
Posted: 6/21/07 at 6:36pm

If you want Frances Ruffelle's Eponine, get the London recording. It's pretty horrible in places, but she herself is much better on the London recording than the Broadway one. You also get a pretty nifty Fantine. Patti something? Lu-whatnow? She's all right, I s'pose. re: Best Les Mis Recording- Lost thread

Updated On: 6/21/07 at 06:36 PM

Videos