Stepping Out

Gothampc
#1Stepping Out
Posted: 6/26/07 at 1:43pm

I always thought this movie would make a great Broadway musical. Yet when it was on Broadway (as a play) it didn't last very long. What went wrong?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Updated On: 6/26/07 at 01:43 PM

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/26/07 at 1:56pm

I agree 100%

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Wicked63
#2re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/26/07 at 3:13pm

It was turned into a musical in London in 1998. It ran at The Albery which is now The Coward for not very long. It was basicaly the play restaged with a few musical numbers. It was by no means as succsessful as the original play in London which had two runs. The movie with Liza Minelli wasnt too popular. Did it not last on Broadway?

#3re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/26/07 at 4:40pm

I love this film. I wish they would upgrade it to DVD. It took me years to get hold of a copy of the soundtrack, German eBAY of all places.

Minnelli is on fire in the solo dance break to Stepping Out (Liza's Dance)...

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#4re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/26/07 at 4:57pm

the score of "stepping out" the musical is quite nice actually.

it has songs that sound straight out of "a chorus line", as well as some rather nice sondheimian songs. overall, a cute catchy funny score.

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

#5re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/26/07 at 5:01pm

"the score of "stepping out" the musical is quite nice actually."

Was this commercially available?

musicalkid Profile Photo
musicalkid
#6re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/28/07 at 9:10pm

It is. I bought it from first-night-records. but it seems it's no longer listed on their website. shame.

Bring Disney's "Der Glockner Von Notre Dame" To Broadway!
http://musicalkid.multiply.com/

BigFatBlonde Profile Photo
BigFatBlonde
#7re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/28/07 at 9:15pm

Didn't Kander and Ebb write the title song for the movie?

What great ones do the less will prattle of

Wicked63
#8re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:10am

Yes they did! Isnt it strange that movie isnt on DVD. There are stores in the Uk where the CD of the London musical is available still for around $12

robUK Profile Photo
robUK
#9re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:11am

it had a great run in West End re: Stepping Out)

Wicked63
#10re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:17am

The original play at The Duke Of Yorks did around 2 or 3 years yes but not the musical. The musical lasted only months at the Albery. The play actauly had 2 good runs because it returned to The Strand

Wicked63
#11re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/29/07 at 4:26am

Stepping Out -the play opened at the Duke Of Yorks Oct 1984 and ran until July 1987. It returned to the West End at the end of its nation tour to The Novello theatre July 1990 until October 1990.
Stepping Out -the musical opened at the Albery 28th Oct 1997 and closed Febuary 28th 1998.
Both productions used the wonderfully funny piss take of the original 42nd Street poster.

tinkerbell30
#12re: Stepping Out
Posted: 6/30/07 at 6:03pm

To all those who may live in the area and even those who do not. The Derby Playhouse in England will be producing the Stepping Out Musical this October. They have a website about thier theater. I was there recently to see the Sondheim show Merrily We Roll Along and it was wonderful. It is a great theater located in the Eagle Center that does wonderful productions and everyone who has not been that gets the chance should go. They are doing Moon Landing first then Stepping Out followed by Treasure Island all a must see starting in September.

LoringsGuy
#13re: Stepping Out
Posted: 7/1/07 at 12:16am

Stepping Out is a guilty pleasure of mine (why isn't it on DVD???). I love Jane Krakowski, but has anyone else noticed how shockingly thin she looked in the movie?

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

Paulyd Profile Photo
Paulyd
#14re: Stepping Out
Posted: 7/1/07 at 8:13am

I was wondering why this hasnt been on DVD either. The film itself isnt a classic, but i'd buy it just for Julie Walters alone.

Released by Paramount pictures and directed by Lewis Gilbert, his last film for that studio 'Shirley Valentine' took years to come out on DVD, and when we finally got it all he got has a full screen version which was probably just the VHS master converted.

Not too sure what the hold up is, maybe an issue with the music rights?

Videos