New Gypsy Recording?

Salad_Fingers85 Profile Photo
Salad_Fingers85
#1New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:17pm

Although there are a lot of Gypsy recordings out there what are the chances this one will be recorded? Considering Patti Lupone's performance is basically the second coming, and Laura Benati's is called career defining I would hope they would record this.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:19pm

I wish
I wish
I wish

this would happen.

Fenchurch
#2re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:27pm

God I hope not.
The show was terrible. I love benanti, but Lupone was UNLISTENABLE and UNWATCHABLE.

It was a travesty

"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." -Keen on Kean
"Fenchurch is correct, as usual." - muscle23ftl

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#3re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:29pm

Please, please?

You can never have too many recordings or GYPSY!

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Yankeefan007
#4re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:32pm

CoughYouTubeCough. Granted, it's Ravinia, but Rose's Turn is Rose's Turn.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#5re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:33pm

God, I hope so...If it transfers to London or even Broadway, I don't know why the wouldn't record it.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#6re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:34pm

Patti's ROSE'S TURN now is a lot different from Ravinia. Way more intense. And much less pitchy.

stella985 Profile Photo
stella985
#7re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:35pm

I asked someone at City Center and they said no, but the person I talked to was in the development office so I'm not sure how much they'd really know about it. I'm holding out hope.

#8re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:35pm

this *HAS* to happen!!!!

glancingforward
#9re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:36pm

i agree..frankly the whole thing was painful

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#10re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:39pm

I just don't get why if you don't like LuPone. Why see this?

I'm finding most of the people bashing it are people who have always had something against LuPone as a performer.

Yankeefan007
#11re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:44pm

Hey, even I'll say Patti was damn good (and I don't particularly like her).
Updated On: 7/15/07 at 04:44 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#12re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:46pm

^ Yep. And that's why I'm not on your back like the others in your thread.

There are people going into the show wanting to hate Patti's performance. And they will hate it.

Yankeefan007
#13re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:48pm

Then why would they see the show?

It's like going to The Simpsons Movie if you hate The Simpsons.

I just want to know why Patti's last "FOR ME" was so bizarre sounding.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#14re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:49pm

I really liked her last FOR ME. She's really angered and emotional at that point.. and it workeed.

Kringas
#15re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:50pm

Just remember that a YouTube clip wasn't the same as seeing it live. She may well be turning in an even better performance at City Center, but I really hope history doesn't start getting rewritten just because New York is finally getting what we got to experience last summer. Her performance at Ravinia was extraordinary.

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey

Yankeefan007
#16re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:50pm

At risk of having my head bitten off, I like the one on the YT clip better.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#17re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:54pm

Are you going to see at City Center, Kringas?

Kringas
#18re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:56pm

I wasn't planning on it, but I've been reconsidering as of late. So, honestly, I don't know. I'd say most likely not, but it wouldn't be completely out of the realm of possibility.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#19re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 4:59pm

You really should. Maybe tomorrow's reviews will entice you. Granted they're good.

C is for Company
#20re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:02pm

I don't like LuPone much either as some of you probably already know. But I can't say enough how much more nuanced and un-typical-LuPone this one really was. I went in hoping I wouldn't have to cover my ears and eyes, but was left so thoroughly satisfied at how it all played out. Must see performance of the year thus far and I hope it gets recorded.

Kringas
#21re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:09pm

Even without the reviews, it's tempting. I wasn't too keen on Benanti, but several people whose opinions I trust have said good things about her, so I'm always willing to admit I was wrong.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#22re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/15/07 at 5:09pm

I don't care much for LuPone myself either but this sounds like the kind of event you just need to go see as a fan of musical theater fan. I will definitely make the trip to London to see the show when it transfers but I thoroughly regret not having the money right now to see Boyd Gaines and Benanti. I really doubt the City Center cast will get recorded but I certainly hope it does just to hear those three great performances.
Oh and I hate all of you who have gotten to see it :-p

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

hauntedcoffeepot
#23re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/16/07 at 8:59am

I saw the show last friday, it was wonderful. I hope it comes out on cd. If it doesn't, I pray someone hooks me up with their recording of show.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#24re: New Gypsy Recording?
Posted: 7/16/07 at 9:09am

This production reinstated my enjoyment of Patti. After getting tired of her speed talking etc, GYPSY was a wonderful treat.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Videos