News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?

Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?

Yankeefan007
#1Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 9:00am

"According to a source, three record companies including Sony have bid to record the cast recording for the hit Broadway spoof Xanadu, but the best offers are contingent on current male lead Cheyenne Jackson being part of the project. Alas, since Jackson came into the show in a rush when James Carpinello injured himself, his contract didn't include cast album stipulations. Now they're trying to sway him into the recording studio on his skates or maybe lose the deal. Publicists for the show didn't respond to a request for comment."

http://www.villagevoice.com/nyclife/0729,musto,77235,15.html
Updated On: 7/18/07 at 09:00 AM

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#2Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 9:02am

Wow.

That's fantastic for Cheyenne.
But terrible for James.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 7/18/07 at 09:02 AM

Craig Profile Photo
Craig
#2Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 9:08am

The recording isn't contingent on Jackson. The best offers are contingent on him. That doesn't mean there won't be a cast recording if this couldn't be worked out with Cheyenne....

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" - Willy Wonka

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#3Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 9:24am

Cheyenne is too nice a guy
and has dealt with this whole situation with his consideration for James.
As much as I'd love for the recording to feature Cheyenne, I think they'll pass on these offers and record with James.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#4Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 12:38pm

That would be a mistake. If the highest and best offer conditions Cheyenne Jackson recording the show, then the producers should have Jackson record it. He's the one who opened the show and got great reviews. Who knows when James Carpinello will return? The producers have to strike while the buzz on the show is hot and the current cast should record the album for prompt release. Jackson may be nice, but the economics dictate that the producers recoup as much as possible, which includes receiving proceeds from the sale of the cast album. Should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Julian2
#5Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 1:21pm

James can sing without using his legs.

Unless you know something I don't.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#6Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 1:40pm

i agree. i think most people harping that Cheyenne needs to be the one recording it only SAW Cheyenne perform it. i love me some Cheyenne and his voice is gorgeous but i think it needs to be the person who will be in the show for the long haul who records the album.

WOSQ
#7Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 2:25pm

Who is Tony-eligible?

That is the voice that would need to be on the recording when it is sent to votors reminding them how much they enjoyed the show.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#8Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 2:37pm

Cheyenne is the one with Tony eligibility right now. The producers would have to petition to get Carpinello considered. I honestly think they would push for that, but it does depend on how long he's out, I guess.

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#9Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 2:41pm

Is there precedent for this other than the original production of COMPANY, which immediately comes to my mind? If I remember correctly, Larry Kert was nominated for the Tony, but he wasn't in the cast recording (though he did do a bonus track or two -- I think Being Alive was one of them) even though he opened the show.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#10Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 2:43pm

Dean Jones opened the show and did the recording but left really early in the run. He wasn't having a happy time, so all the related parties (Jones included) decided to petition for Larry Kert to have eligibility instead.

And when you look back and see he didn't win, it kinda strikes you as a bit of a moot point. Anyway... ^_^

But yeah, as far as I'm aware, the original 'Company' is THE precedent for this kind of affair.

Updated On: 7/18/07 at 02:43 PM

Curtains07 Profile Photo
Curtains07
#11Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 2:45pm

more money = cast recording with Jackson = THE OFFER THEY MUST TAKE

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#12Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 2:49pm

I suspect they would have to go for a Jackson offer. One would only hope that they'd include Carpinello bonus tracks if they went this route. They've been ever so kind about the whole thing, I'm sure they'd push for it.

Either that, or they're horrible and heinous and have somehow tricked us into thinking they care about James... XD

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#13Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 2:56pm

I'm sure the producers' intentions are all well and good, but this is the business of show and the bottom line is what counts most when you get down to it. I hope they find a creative solution that will make everyone happy.

jeffrey1dog Profile Photo
jeffrey1dog
#14Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 3:29pm

If Cheyenne Jackson opened the show, is still in the show, and plans to stay till James Carpinello's return (which may not be until October) it would only make sense to have Cheyenne do the soundtrack.
Who knows if the show will even make it until then (I'm just saying - not hoping) and by that time they could have sold a million copies during the current height of popularity then why wait? And yes - A bonus track by Carpinello would be nice (just like Larry Kert on the "Company" CD)

< Patty Duke (the original Neely O'Hara) & me (March 8, 2010)

Julian2
#15Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 3:39pm

A) Cast Recording.

B) Wasn't the "Bonus Track" added to the remaster and from the OLC?

I hope James records. And I also hope that, chances slim or great of a nom, they petition for him.

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#16Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 4:06pm

Yes, Larry Kert didn't just recorded "Being Alive" so they could add it to the Original Broadway Cast recording, this track was added as a bonus track from the Original London Cast Recording.
And it wasn't a moot point that they petitioned him to be considered for the Tonys because that was his only nomination.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Jake2
#17Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 5:19pm

If the offers are going to be higher with Jackson doing the recording, then I'd be really surprised if it doesn't happen this way. Getting the CD out as fast as possible is the best possible promotion for this show to keep selling tickets. It would be great to hear James' take on a couple of songs. The show is kind of short... right?, so i'm sure they could fit the bonus tracks on one disc. (Personally, I wouldn't mind hearing Marty Thomas take a stab at some of the songs with that voice of his, but that's another story entirely...)

MarkK Profile Photo
MarkK
#18Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 7/18/07 at 6:11pm

I have to say I agree with Curtains07 and Jake2. In the end it's a business, and I think they would be foolish not to record with Jackson.

lois128 Profile Photo
lois128
#19Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:32am

I think if they choose James they would have to wait until he comes back to the show, right? It would be weird to have Cheyenne in the show for god knows how long and have James in the cast recording...

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." Sherie Rene Scott

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#20Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:38am

"I think if they choose James they would have to wait until he comes back to the show, right? It would be weird to have Cheyenne in the show for god knows how long and have James in the cast recording..."

Yeah, I agree. Also, what if there's a slim chance that James ultimately decides not to come back to the show after recording it? Not saying this WILL happen, because I know he is very enthusiastic about returning to the show.

I think they should take Cheyenne's name off the understudy board and just list him as the lead for the time being. Just my opinion.

Since we can't seem to decide between Cheyenne and James, why not have Curtis do the recording? Hehe...Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#21Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:43am

James can still sing if his leg is broken. They wouldn't have to wait.

And I really think Carpinello should record the show, and Cheyenne could do a bonus track. It seems unfair that James shouldn't be able to record the show (which he was cast to be in the OBC) just because his foot broke.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#22Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:46am

Unfair, yes...but it would probably make the most sense at this point since fans are eager for a cast recording, and they should make one with the current Sonny.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#23Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:49am

Well, if they were to make a cast recording with James, it would probably be out around October when he gets back, I would think.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

lois128 Profile Photo
lois128
#24Musto: Xanadu Recording with Jackson?
Posted: 8/2/07 at 9:51am

"Well, if they were to make a cast recording with James, it would probably be out around October when he gets back, I would think."

That's what I was talking about...

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." Sherie Rene Scott

Videos