pixeltracker

What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??- Page 2

What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#25re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 5:07pm

I was just contemplating this when I was writing my blog entry on Carly Jibson. There are all these talented folk who don't fit into the traditional image for roles, so what do they do? How many Kims from MISS SAIGON, for example, were insanely talented and have been able to sustain a career?
Broadway Blog: 50 Amazing Broadway Performers in 50 Weekdays

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#26re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 5:10pm

Flaunt It, all I'm saying is is that it is less than likely that it would be a phenomenon like W&G that took on a life of its own. That is all. There is nothing 100% about what I am saying, but I do feel that yes, if she were to go that route more than likely Blonksy would hit a dead end.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

Flaunt It
#27re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 5:13pm

I think a heavy girl has for more opportunities to work in TV and film than on stage. No matter how much producers claim to believe in non-traditional casting, you will never see a big fat Belle.

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#28re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 5:17pm

Well whatever she does all I hope is that she is not typecast or not allowed to really shine; she has too much potential for that.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#29re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 5:22pm

I'm sorry but Marissa Jarret Winoker and Ricki Lake don't exactly have the greatest careers, Flaunt It.

Flaunt it, how many movies do you know of with a heavy set star?

Flaunt It
#30re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 5:29pm

I made no claims that Marissa has any sort of career other than appearing on red carpets these days. Ricki Lake however has had a fairly steady career since Hairspray.

I did not say Nikki would star in anything... on Broadway once you have been Tracy in Hairspray and Jan in Grease.. your options are over. However, she can certainly make a great career as a second bananna in films and TV. The same lesson Nathan Lane had to learn.
Updated On: 7/22/07 at 05:29 PM

jimnysf
#31re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 5:40pm

I still think she'd be great in the stage show. They should put her in that and while they are at it, they can add the wonderful song, "Come So Far" to the show!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

#32re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 6:18pm

I am interested to see what opportunities come for her next. I think I agree with several other people that have stated she wasn't really the main focus of the movie for me. I personally think that James Marsden and Elijah Kelley did the best jobs in the movie. They were really the scene stealers for me. And even though I am not a really big fan of Edna Turnblad's role, I think John Travolta did a good job and also took attention away from Nikki. Not because he was a big star, but because this movie seemed just as focused on developing Edna's characters as it was Tracy's.

And I know no one can disagree about stereotypes in the entertainment business. Its just sometimes certain types of people cannot be cast for a part. You will never see an Asian Mary Poppins or a brown-haired Elle Woods. It just doesn't make sense. It's a cruel world, but it is true. I don't exactly expect Nikki to be popping up everywhere now she has been in the Hairspray movie.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#33re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 7:03pm

Nikki told Yahoo in an interview "I've been reading scripts and been to several auditions but i haven't decided on anything yet."

Thesbijean
#34re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 8:19pm

I think the Teen Comedy Film route is where she should head, playing the daughter of the famous A-Lister in whatever film it may be.

Hank
#35re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 8:26pm

Nikki should first off lose some weight. Being plus sized is one thing but she is morbidly obese, and at this rate she'll have difficulty walking, let alone dancing, by the time she's 30. Heart trouble is another possibility. Remember Divine?
Ricki Lake trimmed down and has had a fine career. I wish Nikki the same.

Yankeefan007
#36re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 8:27pm

Directly answering the question:

College.

jimnysf
#37re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 9:00pm

Hank, you missed the whole point of the story of "Hairspray"!

"I've lost everything! Luis, Marty, my baby with Chris, Chris himself, James. All I ever wanted was love." --Sheridan Crane "Passions" ------- "Housework is like bad sex. Every time I do it, I swear I'll never do it again til the next time company comes."--"Lulu" from "Can't Stop The Music" ----- "When the right doors didn't open for him, he went through the wrong ones" - "Sweet Bird of Youth" ------------ --------- "Passions" is uncancelled! See NBC.com for more info.

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#38re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 9:32pm

Thanks for proving my point Flaunt It by correcting my spelling of Ricki's first name. If she actually had an entertainment career presence, I'd know how to spell it. I certainly never forget how to spell Barbra's name, first or last.

She may have kept her toe in the business for 15 years, I'll grant you that, but she gets more press for her weight gains and losses than for her performances.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

ElFantasma14 Profile Photo
ElFantasma14
#39re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 9:35pm

And I don't think Nikki qualifies as "morbidly obese." Overweight, yes, but when I think of morbidly obese, I think of the people in beds who can't even move because they're so heavy. Anyways, I read an article that reported that Nikki actually had to eat more while on set to maintain her "Tracy" weight, as all the dancing was causing her to lose weight. It's from the Boston Globe, I'll try to find it.

Flaunt It
#40re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 9:46pm

I am glad you remember Babs name... she's kept her nose in the business for years.. but man I can't think of the last thing she has done that has made a blip in the press beyond touring singing the same **** she has sung for years.. but just getting worse and worse at it.

kate2
#41re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 9:58pm

I could definitely see Nikki doing comedies. Actually, she could probably do anything... hopefully we see a lot more of her now that Hairspray has opened.

withoutlovewithoutU Profile Photo
withoutlovewithoutU
#42re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 10:08pm

This role in this movie is a much bigger jumping off point then the same role in the 1988 movie or the show, so Nikki has a better chance then any previous Tracy.
And I agree that some of you guys seriously missed the whole point of the story in Hairspray, and I find that quite depressing.

"If we don't live happily ever after at least we survive until the end of the week!" -Kermit the frog "I need the money... it costs a lot to look this cheap!" -Dolly P. "Oh please, Over at 'Gypsy' Patti LuPone hasn't even alienated her first daughter yet!" Mary Testa in "Xanadu" "...Like a drunk Chita Rivera!" Robin de Jesus in "In the Heights"

"B*tch, I don't know your life." -Xanadu After that if he still doesn't understand why you were uncomfortable and are now infuriated, kick him again but this time with Jazz Hands!!! -KillerTofu

Virgo
#43re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 11:12pm

"Nikki is adorable, charismatic but doesn't have the powerful screen presence that Jennifer Hudson is blessed with. Jennifer dominates photos, TV appearances and on the big screen."

Could it be that she's normally 5-6 inches taller and 20-30 pounds heavier then people she's being photographed next to?

Apples and Oranges really. Jennifer is huge in size compared to Nikki who is only 4'10 how would this little cutie dominate any photo? That's what I love about Nikki, she doesn't have that big diva attitude, she's just a lovely young girl and I hope she makes tons of movies. I see her being more successful then jennifer in movies because quite frankly, people like folks who are not all about me me me. Folks really were tired of Jennifer by the time dreamgirls ended so Nikki should be happy that people are seeing her much differently. Better to be under the radar then over exposed.

LouieLovesTheater Profile Photo
LouieLovesTheater
#44re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/22/07 at 11:59pm

Guess what? Maybe Ricki's life is about more than being a TV/Film star. She has seemed perfectly content to go the mom route for a while and is not back in the spotlight promoting a film she worked on to get made. Maybe family is more important to these people and they would rather do it quietly than live their life on the front page of a rag mag.

Good lord people...get a life!

friedrichVT
#45re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 12:23am

Whatever it is she should strike while the iron is hot. As wonderful as the movie is ,it is summer fluff. She probably won't be remembered in a year. She's adorable, great voice and presence. She should do Hairspray on Broadway before it closes. Since Ugly Betty hit the scene, "quirky heroines" are very much en vogue. Maybe something could be developed for her in the same vain. But it better happen fast...

buffyactsing Profile Photo
buffyactsing
#46re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 12:35am

Eh she's probably on the cusp of being morbidly obese, but under. It starts at lot lower Bmi than most people think it does. At 4'10 according to a chart I read (http://www.laparoscopy.com/pleatman/am-i-morbidly-obese.htm) she "should" weigh 81 - 99 lbs.

Not that any of this is really our business anyway.

"This ocean runs more dark and deep than you may think you know...I'll be the fear of the fire at sea." -Marie Christine

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#47re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:15am

She is going to have a great future on Broadway, and in her playbill bio she will proudly state that she was tracy in the Hairspray movie.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999
Updated On: 7/23/07 at 02:15 AM

Flaunt It
#48re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 7:57am

If you are fat does that lessen your talent, if you are thin does that make you MORE talented? I mean look at Barbara Cook, is she just a fattie who does concerts and sings standards? And if you are thin does that make you better? Look at Linda Eder and Josh Grobin.. great voice on a CD but dull as dirt on stage and reduced to crooning (mostly on key live) for bored housewives and loyal gays. Maybe Nikki can get a bitch attitude like Patty Lupone and people would worship her every move though, by baddadnpa's definition, her career is 'DOA' since she has done nothing sice Evita.. some touring work, a feww stage shows that closed within a season, more press for being fired and a bitch than her craft, a couple of seconds of a family drama on TV and showing her boobs in Summer of Sam is hardly a career. Flashing your ASSets can get you far.. just look at Patrick Wilson who is clawing his way off the Hollywood E list.

So we never know what the future holds for Nikki.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#49re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:21am

...and it's Patti LuPone -- NOT Patty Lupone.

The bitch has been around for decades -- have the courtesy of spelling her name right. re: What Should Be Next for Nikki Blonsky??