pixeltracker

Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines- Page 2

Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#25re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:03pm

A younger kid went up, who was dressed ridiculously casually, with like jean cut offs and sneakers and a light shirt, and they said something along the lines of this -

"Mr. So-and-so was told by his parents that going to the theatre was a completely casual occasion, and there was no need to get dressed up. At all."

singingshowgirl Profile Photo
singingshowgirl
#26re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 7/31/07 at 8:44pm

yeah, i had a similar thing as the above poster.

"he walked out of the house today in shorts and a t-shirt and said, 'mom, i'm going to a spelling bee, NOT a broadway show.'"

his shirt was white and his shorts were beige. when he came up again, "he can't wait till his favorite styles come out in color."

in the philly tour, they said one of the contestants was eliminated from project runway for wearing that outfit

and that the person wearing a scarf had a lot of hickies haha

walkedthroughmany Profile Photo
walkedthroughmany
#27re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:19pm

Rona: "Olive placed second in her school's Halloween costume contest."
Olive: "I was Hilary Duff's busted hymen."

One Song Glory
#28re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:33pm

When I was a speller, mine were:

"Miss ____ is currently writing an opera in brail."
"Miss ____ favorite TV show is That's SO Raven."

I'm not a gay stereotype. I'm a coincidence.

uhkthxbye2 Profile Photo
uhkthxbye2
#29re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 7/31/07 at 9:50pm

I can't remember exactly, but there was also something about Logainne working as an interpreter (?) for President Sanjaya. She said it with the fiercest glare ...

Gangway, world, get off of my runway.
- Mama Rose, Gypsy

A bird cage I plan to hang,
I'll get to that someday...
A bird cage for a bird who flew away
Around the world.
- Edie, Grey Gardens
Updated On: 7/31/07 at 09:50 PM

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#30re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 7/31/07 at 10:15pm

One time, a guest speller was given the word creapeaud (not sure how to spell it, it's pronounced "crep-OH") and the guest speller misheard it and spelled "craphole". This made the actress playing Piretti actually start laughing on stage, although she tried to conceal it. Eventually, the whole cast was laughing and the audience was roaring.

ByTheSea920 Profile Photo
ByTheSea920
#31re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:44am

At one of the L.A shows, there was a maybe 60-year old man picked as a speller. So when he came up, they said "_________ is a prematurely graying 5th grader."

There was also a little boy, about 9 years old, who was the last audience speller, and they gave him a hard word expecting him to get it wrong. By some miracle he got it right, and half of the people on stage started giggling, because then they had to call the boy up again and give him an impossible word just to get him off. The little boy asked if they could please repeat the word, and I believe it was Piretti who then said "Just be glad you got the last one right, kid. Spell it already."

There's too many great moments in this show!!!

"Don't look now, but that large 4 and a half foot tailess South American rodent swimming next to you might be a capybara."

Also, caterjunes is the coolest word. Ever.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#32re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:49am

Adult show:

"For her birthday, Miss (whatever)'s boyfriend gave her a pearl necklace."

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Actinggbugg474
#33re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:49am

Should I ruin the magic for ByTheSea920?????

ByTheSea920
#34re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:50am

Oooh. What magic?

Actinggbugg474
#35re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:52am

SPOILER! (If this isn't already common knowledge)

Haha ... They do that every show. Someone "miraculously" spells an impossible word correctly and the cast is "surprised" by it and they immediately call them back up to spell something else.

ByTheSea920
#36re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 12:55am

Ha!! That's even funnier, because I talked to the little boy after the show and asked him how on earth he got that word right, and he just told me that he "sounded it out." Ha, what a little liar!

Actinggbugg474
#37re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:01am

Well he didn't know! He (along with everyone else in the audience) thinks that he spelled it correctly. The word was probably "caterjunes" and they accept all kinds of spellings and the cast acts surprised that they got it right. Then they usually pull out xerophthalmiology and of course they miss it.

I'm pretty sure caterjunes is just a made up word for the show ... so any spelling could technically be correct. Updated On: 8/1/07 at 01:01 AM

ByTheSea920
#38re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:03am

Oooh, I thought of a REAL spontaneous line, now that the magic has been spoiled for me by actingbug! Ha, I feel kind of idiotic for being tricked by a 9 year old.....
Okay, so there was a very elderly lady as one of the spellers, and when she came up, Piretti said "Ms.________ won her elementary school's 'If you squint your eyes and stare for a long time, i start to look like Helen Mirren' contest!"

LizzieCurry
#39re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:04am

They use caterjunes more often than not (and you're right, it's not a real word), but there are few other fake ones out there. They don't do the whole "difficult word omg" stunt if they're running long, though. The speller just gets dinged out.

Actinggbugg474
#40re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:06am

Haha that's funny.

And the little kid did not trick you! He really believed he spelled it right. It's not like he was in on it or anything.

"Ms. _____ argued with her mom for hours this morning exclaming "Mom, it's just a spelling bee .. I don't need to wear a bra!"

*Edit* - Lizzie, that's what I thought .. although the show wouldn't be nearly as much fun if they didn't do the whole fake-out thing. People eat it up ... they gave the guest speller a standing ovation when she got dinged on xeroph... When I saw the show Sat. they judges acted like she got Xeroph.. correct and they asked her to spell it again, then they dinged her out .. the audience loved it. Updated On: 8/1/07 at 01:06 AM

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#41re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:11am

When I saw it 8/9/06:

"An amateur fisherman, Miss Carol often uses her favorite lures as earrings"

"A child prodicy, Ms. Aaron is writing an opera in brail"

"Mr. Williams likes to intimidate the other spellers by disquising himself as their guidance counselor."

(Mr Kemmy wears a white t-shirt and pale khaki shorts_
"Leaving the house this morning, Mr. Kemmy shouted 'Mom, I'm wearing a t-shirt and sneakers, its a Spelling Bee, not a Broadway show."

"Ms. Aaron wanted to join the debate team, but they talked her out of it."

"Mr. Kemmy looks forward to the day when his favorite styles come out in color"

"Mr. Williams likes to roll up his sleeves because he thinks it makes him look tough."

favorites*

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 8/1/07 at 01:11 AM

ByTheSea920
#42re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:13am

Haha! Okay, my self-esteem is okay now that I know the 9 year old didn't outwit me!

Yeah, caterjunes is made up. I just looked it up on Wikipedia!

And haha to the bra story!

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#43re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:17am

The first time I saw the show they used caterjunes but the person got it wrong and was dinged.

The second the girl got it right, the actors were surprised and had her come back up to spell again.

They don't accept all spellings of it.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

LizzieCurry
#44re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:23am

One speller was a very well-dressed man in his 50s:

"So confident he'll win today, Mr. (name) already spent his winnings at the Nordstrom's men's department."

Actinggbugg474
#45re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:25am

Yeah .. like Lizzie said .. I think they change it up depending on if the show is running long. They accept most spellings if they have time to do the "fake out."

uhkthxbye2 Profile Photo
uhkthxbye2
#46re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 1:29am

Aww, the magic is spoiled. When I saw it, the last speller was a little kid too, and I thought his spelling of caterjunes was legit.

And I kind of thought caterjunes was a real word ... and I went to the actual National Spelling Bee in 8th grade. ::hides in shame::

Gangway, world, get off of my runway.
- Mama Rose, Gypsy

A bird cage I plan to hang,
I'll get to that someday...
A bird cage for a bird who flew away
Around the world.
- Edie, Grey Gardens

gymdudeva
#47re: Your favourite Spelling Bee Lines
Posted: 8/1/07 at 10:10am

When I was a guest speller, these were may lines [I'm a big muscle guy, with a very short buzz cut][I may be paraphrasing a tad]:

"Mr. ____ is 10 years old. He's a *little* big for his age. After school, he works as a bouncer."
"Mr. ___ has a bad case of head lice."

After my first word, the next character got a hard word and said, "Hey, that's no fair, the bouncer got 'Mexicans'!"

When I missed my second word ("cenacle"), the counselor gave me a juice box and a hug like usual ... then another hug....then a third....heheheh.