pixeltracker

Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening

Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#1Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 6:40am

Why was this done? Does anyone know why? I think that's really sad.

Facebook...ME !!!

TapTapTapioca
#2re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 6:47am

I don't know, it is really odd/rare that a musical does that.

I shave me Xanadu every morning!

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#2re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 7:02am

Maybe they weren't very good.

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

Unmasked05 Profile Photo
Unmasked05
#3re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 7:20am

If that was the case then why would they hold the cast together that long and then say the day before opening night "Hey, we're replacing you guys." If you ask me they made that show what it was.

Facebook...ME !!!

dramarama2 Profile Photo
dramarama2
#4re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 7:33am

No idea then...

A little known fact is that in the original screenplay, Pan's Labyrinth was Pan's FLAByrinth. Hmmmmmmm...glad they changed it.

Stupifer
#5re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 8:04am

This could be the worst show I've ever seen - should have kept the cast and fired the writer, composer, producer and director. A complete waste of time.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#6re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:33am

It's certainly unusual. I mean, I've heard of people being replaced during rehearsals, out-of-town and previews, but never of an entire cast let go just prior to opening.

Elphie3 Profile Photo
Elphie3
#7re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:50am

I pray it wasn't a publicity stunt

Madame Morrible: "So you take the chicken, now it must be a white chicken. The corpse can be any color. And that is the spell for lost luggage!" - The Yellow Brick Road Not Taken

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#8re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:54am

The ENTIRE cast was wrong . . . ? I'm not buying that. I say publicity stunt. Unless the director was doin' something when he/she/it cast them.
Broadway Blog: 50 Amazing Broadway Performers in 50 Weekdays

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#9re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 11:57am

You're right on the nose, Elphie3. This was planned from Day One. Two casts were hired. One would play out the first three weeks of previews, then the second cast would come in to finish out previews and open the show.

I met two of the (first) cast members at the stage door of 110 IN THE SHADE, and they were telling Steve Kazee to come see them soon because they were only in it for the first few weeks after which a second cast came in.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
camp_actor
#11re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 12:15pm

Probably a publicity stunt of some kind.

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#12re: Idol: The Musical Replaces Entire Cast Prior to Opening
Posted: 8/4/07 at 2:12pm

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that this had been planned form the get go.

From what ive heard the cast that started the show wasnt a professional cast (the actors themselves weren't professionals) and that a professional cast was coming in to do the actual run of the show.