pixeltracker

Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?

Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?

Yankeefan007
#1Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 12:53am

Riedel's got a good one, today.

Debra Messing, Patrick Wilson, Anne Hathaway, and John C. Reilly for Guys and Dolls...at least, that what the producers want. Great casting.

Plus, more about Duncan Shiek and Stephen Sater's Nero and, of course, more Young Frankenstein updates.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08172007/entertainment/theater/giving_nero_a_new_forum_theater_michael_riedel.htm?page=1

goofy108 Profile Photo
goofy108
#2re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 1:24am

i would see that cast.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 1:26am

Debra Messing? I don't see that...

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#3re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 1:29am

That would be a great cast for Guys and Dolls. Messing would be perfect.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Kringas
#4re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 1:33am

"How do you like THAT 'misanthropic panache,' Mr. Goldstone?" - PalJoey
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 01:33 AM

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#5re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 1:43am

wow. that's really REALLY good casting!

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#6re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 2:14am

That's pretty perfect casting.

It'll be interesting to see if the producers are able to nail down names of that magnitude.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 8/17/07 at 02:14 AM

Roninjoey Profile Photo
Roninjoey
#7re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 2:23am

I would totally see that.

Top sources say the staging of Putting on the Ritz is her best ever? What about the ton of people who have already seen the show? :P

yr ronin,
joey

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#8re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 2:54am

I'm surprised they're not getting Jane Krakowski to reprise her Olivier-winning turn as Miss Adelaide. By the time the show begins she should be almost done with 30 ROCK. Though I guess she has no desire to do 8 shows a week and film 30 ROCK in the mornings.
Debra Messing is an excellent replacement for Krakowski. I'd love to see her sing "Adelaide's Lament."
Anne Hathaway would make a great Sarah Brown but isn't she a bit too young to be with the rest of the cast? I guess it'll work well for Sarah Brown though.
Patrick Wilson is an inspired choice for Sky as well as John C. Reilly as Nathan though I find him more appropriate for Nicely-Nicely Johnson (in a movie or something).
I'm glad the producers are trying to get stars who are actually right for each role.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#9re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 7:50am

I didn't know that Anne Hathaway could sing.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#10re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 7:51am

I didn't know Debra Messing or John C. Reilly could sing. Heck, I didn't know Debra Messing could act.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#11re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 8:05am

Wow ! If that would go thru... We gonna have the (female) cast of "Will & Grace" on Broadway, huh ? this season .... re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?

Actually I am excited to see the "Young Frankenstein " after I saw the preview YouTube yesterday ... I hope I get my tickets soon ....bec. I still have not received it re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway? I ordered mine last month( July) -- during AMEX pre-sale

J*

Updated On: 8/17/07 at 08:05 AM

ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 8:11am

I didn't know Debra Messing or John C. Reilly could sing.
You clearly didn't see CHICAGO or the last Academy Awards Ceremony where Reilly happened to be one of the high points of a rather dull night in his song & dance number.
The second part of your comment was negligible. Messing is a fine comedienne and Miss Adelaide is right up her alley, her singing voice is perfect for the role (she loved making fun of her singing in WILL & GRACE but she sings much better than her character Grace did), she's extremely sexy--which is a must for the role in this particular revival (though she doesn't have the innate sexual persona of Jane Krakowski, one of the many reasons I'm sad she isn't transferring with the production), and the kind of comedy the role requires comes natural to Messing (from NED & STACEY to WILL & GRACE to THE WEDDING DATE you can see how she's an inspired choice to play Miss Adelaide).
Hathaway's singing voice is perfect for Sarah Brown and perhaps casting someone much younger than the rest of the cast (if the cast does end up being the Hathaway, Wilson, Messing, Reilly foursome) will add an interest subtext to the piece. It'll definitely explain Brown's naivette and further explosive behavior once the Havana scene happens, it'll create an interesting sexual dynamic between the older Sky (Wilson), and it'll definitely make Adelaide's plight all the more painful since she's so much older than young Sarah Brown. Let's just say it's gonna be a riot seeing Hathaway and Messing singing "Marry the Man Today."
God, I can't wait for this revival!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

uhkthxbye2 Profile Photo
uhkthxbye2
#13re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 8:12am

Next project: finding roles for Sean Hayes and Eric McCormack. :)

Gangway, world, get off of my runway.
- Mama Rose, Gypsy

A bird cage I plan to hang,
I'll get to that someday...
A bird cage for a bird who flew away
Around the world.
- Edie, Grey Gardens

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#14re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 8:15am

I think Sean Hayes and Eric McCormack already did their broadway bows on Seussical and Music Man (respectively) , if I am not mistaken?

J*

ray-andallthatjazz86
#15re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 8:22am

Sean Hayes has never been on Broadway. He was in the CAT IN THE HAT MOVIE, not SEUSSICAL, hehe.
Speaking of WILL & GRACE cast, I wonder if the fact that her friend Megan Mullally will be living in New York and playing Broadway will help convince Debra Messing to sing up to play Miss Adelaide. Let's hope so.

Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 8:40am

You're right. I didn't see CHICAGO or Reilly's performance at last year's Oscars.

As for Messing, I've only seen her on WILL & GRACE, and in my opinion, out of the foursome, her comedy appeared to come the least naturally and I always felt that she was pushing harder than the others in order to keep up with their flawless performances.

I can understand why she would be an obvious choice for Miss Adelaide, based on her performance in WILL & GRACE, but I'm really not very enthused by type-casting. That's what I liked about Krakowski's casting (I never saw her performance in London though). Krakowski was outside-the-box casting. It left me curious as to what she could do to make fresh this character that everyone thinks they are so familiar with. With Messing, it's more obvious what to expect. An overblown sitcom sketch with singing. Who knows, she may surprise.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#17re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 9:22am

Although older than the 20-something Anne Hathaway, Patrick Wilson is a mere 34. Not exactly a geezer yet.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Jon
#18re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 9:47am

How can you claim to be interested in ,musical theatre and NOT have seen "Chicago" - the only movie musical to win "Best Picture int he past 38 years?

Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:30am

I'm into musical THEATRE. That's your answer.

-Kad

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#20re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 10:58am

I'd see this. Messing is perfect for the role. Foster, you might not find her line delivery on Will and Grace funny, but that's because her style is physical comedy. She is very much willing to make a fool of herself for a laugh. I think she would rock as Adelaide.

EDIT: "We gonna have the (female) cast of "Will & Grace" on Broadway."
No, we won't have Shelley Morrison. Poor Rosario, everyone forgets about her. Now someone should get her to do a show. Updated On: 8/17/07 at 10:58 AM

VoiceAnth22
#21re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 11:01am

Great, Great Casting - they could easily charge $400 for an orcehstra seat - and get it!

Dollypop
#22re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 11:16am

Patrick Wilson back on Broadway???? Hallelujah!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#23re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 11:19am

So who's playing Harry the Horse?

Geez, Riedel, get with it!

munkustrap926 Profile Photo
munkustrap926
#24re: Riedel: Messing, Hathaway for Guys and Dolls, Nero on Broadway?
Posted: 8/17/07 at 11:25am

I'd totally see this cast.

Videos