pixeltracker

HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON

HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON

Theatrical Landladies Profile Photo
Theatrical Landladies
#1HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 6:24am

Just saw the first preview of HAIRSPRAY with Michael Ball as EDNA and much to my amazement it was a STUNNING performance and a fantastic evening. The show received a standing ovation at the end which for London is VERY unusual.

The production is almost identical to NY however there is no runway and the stage is much smaller so it does look a bit tight. MB also gets to do the John Travolta riff at the end of Welcome to the 60's ("Your mamma's hip, your mamma's in etc.). He also does a few big belts when given the opportunity eg. Big Doll's House. He is really brilliant and definitely channels Harvey in a few scenes.

Weakest link is Mel Smith as WILBUR but otherwise a stunning cast!

If in LONDON then go see!

"Your eyes..... they shine like the pants on my blue serge suit"

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#2re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 11:42am

Wilbr is just a thankless role.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#2re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 11:44am

I disagree. I think it's a great role. If played right, "Timeless" is an absolute hilarious showstopper.

shesamarshmallow
#3re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 11:55am

It's not a great role, but the right actor can do a lot with it.

broadwayunderstudies.com - most underrated performers on broadway

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#4re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:01pm

Yeah, I guess that's right... like Dick Latessa.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#5re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:11pm

The riff at the end of '60's was being done WAY before John Travolta was ever thought of for the film.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:21pm

Um, no it hasn't. I believe the film-version is the first time we heard that. He's talking about Edna's riff not The Dyamites' 3-part riff.

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#7re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:25pm

I believe Marc called that Edna-riff, a cadenza.

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"

TheatreDiva90016
#8re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:35pm

"He's talking about Edna's riff not The Dyamites' 3-part riff."

So was I. John Pinette started with "Your Momma, your Momma, your momma" and it progressed from there.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#9re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:36pm

Sounds like it is a really good producion. Can't wait to see pictures. Hopefully they will have a press real of some footage.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

mateo Profile Photo
mateo
#10re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:46pm

Diva- I believe it was written for the movie.

Your Mamma's hip
Hip
Your Mamma's in
In Mamma
Your Mamma's looking at herself and wondering where you been
Where you been?
Your Mamma's lit
Lit
She's all aglow
Go Mamma
Your Mamma once was holding back
But Mamma's gotta let go, go, go

"Zac is sweet as can be. He's very much just a sweet kid from California who happens to have a face that looks like it was drawn by Michelangelo, (if Michelangelo did anime)."
-Adam Shankman.

"I haven't left this building since Windows 3.1!"

"Celebrating a birthday this week: Rene Descartes is 412! Do you know who he is? Then why are you watching this show? You could probably get into college and even get one of those job things. As for the rest of us; Amanda Bynes is 22! Yay!"
-E!'s "The Soup"
Updated On: 10/13/07 at 12:46 PM

TheatreDiva90016
#11re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 12:48pm

Yes, THAT riff was written for the film, but it started out with J.P saying "Your Momma, Your Momma, Your Momma"

It just progressed.

Theatrical Landladies
#12re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 2:20pm

While I believe Mel Smith wasn't great YOUR TIMELESS TO ME was brilliant and looked like they had been performing it for months with a really comfortable, easy and spontaneous style. A new "ad lib" (new to me) is used following Wilbur's SHABBAT SHALOM line... Edna says " I didn't know you were Jewish" which leads to a double entendre and then a physical moment when they get close "Oh now I can tell....!". It worked well and was very funny. The song stopped the show!

A great evening.

jo
#13re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/13/07 at 8:07pm

Hey, maybe BILLY ELLIOT now has competition re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON

...And if they could add a tube stop close to the Shaftesbury re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON

Thanks for sharing your impressions!

#14re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/14/07 at 10:40am

I can hardly wait to see this myself, in a few days time re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Updated On: 10/14/07 at 10:40 AM

Clara's Pony Profile Photo
Clara's Pony
#15re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/14/07 at 5:12pm

About the riffs in Welcome to the 60's... Michael also does the yadaba yadaba yoo-hoo that Travolta sort of throws away in the movie. The yoo-hoo! is belted out in typical Ball fashion & just sounds amazing. Essentially, Marc's reworking of Edna has really paid off. Obviously there's the riffs, but things like key signatures have also been dramatically altered - Edna's reentry in Welcome to the 60's is a LOT higher in pitch than on Broadway. Timeless to Me is in the same key (I think), only Wilbur & Edna are at the same pitch, not an octave apart (again, I'd have to check that - am going again next week so I'll listen out). Leanne Jones is everything you could hope for in a Tracy, really excellent. Kudos to her in her first professional role - she's clearly just going to get better and better. It seems (both here, on the West End board & on other sites) that people don't seem too impressed by Mel Smith and Ben Ellis. I did get the feeling that Smith was coasting in the first act. Saying that, Timeless to Me brought the house down, and I don't think Michael managed that single-handedly. While it's his big chance to shine (and he really does), it takes two to tango. To those who didn't think much of Ben Ellis, I say go on youtube and listen to some of his Joseph performances. When he sang anything above a tenor D the pitch tended to be a bit suspect. That little problem has now disappeared. He pulled off It Takes Two extremely well IMHO. And his facial expressions (especially in I Can Hear the Bells) were priceless. The accent needs a bit of work, but I'm sure it'll improve with time. Personally I didn't think much of Tracie Bennett - I know that the Velma is supposed to be a caricature but I did find her a little OTT. Elinor Collett & Adrian Hansel were superb. And as for the Dynamites... really brilliant singing, certainly better than on Broadway.

PS theaterdude87: at the open dress last Wednesday there was a camera crew in the stalls recording footage of the show. Once it's been edited it'll be on the website, hopefully soon x

Why, hello Margaret! Yes darling, half past five. Well, everyone, simply le tout Park Avenue and la creme de Hyannis! Well, the press table's going to be awfully crowded... but if you don't mind sharing a folding chair with Harper's Bazaar... Sing? Me? Heavens no, it's Edie's day, not mine... Although people can be so insistent, and I hate to disappoint. Twist my arm, blackmail me, threaten my very life, and who knows? You might get a verse of something...

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#16re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/14/07 at 6:32pm

For the people who have seen Hairspray in London, I'm curious if they're going with all the costume designs from when Hairspray first opened on Broadway (numerous changes for Velma, Amber, etc.) or the modified format (fewer costume changes).

Thanks.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Theatrical Landladies
#17re: HAIRSPRAY FIRST PREVIEW IN LONDON
Posted: 10/16/07 at 5:51pm

Velma had only 2 costumes as far as I can remember. I liked Tracie Bennett for what it is worth!