pixeltracker

GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008

GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008

being.jeremiah
#1GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 12:58pm

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/111901.html

"The first Broadway revival of Stephen Schwartz's Godspell is scheduled to arrive at a Shubert theatre to-be-announced in summer 2008.

Daniel Goldstein will direct the production with choreography by Christopher Gattelli. Casting will be announced at a later date.

The upcoming production, produced by Adam Epstein, will reunite the creative team of the 2006 production of Godspell at New Jersey's Paper Mill Playhouse, which was helmed by Goldstein: scenic designer David Korins, costume designer Miranda Hoffman, lighting designer Ben Stanton and sound designer Randy Hanson." Updated On: 10/15/07 at 12:58 PM

LadyRosecoe
#2re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 12:58pm

Just saw this. Yuck!

Parks
#2re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 12:59pm

Oh yay!! I was so excited--I just announced this to my entire video technology class!

...and nobody cared.

"If it walks like a Parks, if it wobbles like a Parks, then it's definitely fat and nobody loves it." --MA

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#3re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:15pm

so excited. love godspell.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#4re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:17pm

Can Michael Arden please be Jesus.

sit&dither Profile Photo
sit&dither
#5re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:18pm

I see the ads now: "From the composer of WICKED"

folkyboy Profile Photo
folkyboy
#6re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:18pm

maybe now Shoshana can actually be on Broadway again

Jon
#7re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:25pm

Godspell is an intimate show that doesn't belong in a big Broadway house.

Lauren_T
#8re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:29pm

I hope they make the cast up of all unknowns! NEW TALENT TO BROADWAY!

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#9re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:30pm

What house is it going to take? Aside from the Helen Hayes, I can only think of Circle in the Square... I thought that was taken. Hmm.

As far it coming to Broadway again, I haven't seen the show before, and I'm not all that big on Schwartz. There's only ONE Stephen in THIS fella's 'World of Musical Theatre' -- So, I guess I'll give it a shot somewhere down the road -- If this one even MAKES it. We'll see. Heehee!

#10re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:34pm

Who knows what might be available next summer. I think it's a good idea- the Wicked Kids will run to see it, it's great for church groups, schools. If everyone who ever worked on a production of it goes to see it, it'll run for years.

Now, let's get the Pippin revival going.

RyToast1
#11re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:36pm

I agree with you about the Pippin revival. That seems more important than Godspell, but I do love Godspell!

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#12re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:39pm

WHY? We don't need a new production of Godspell. If there is a Schwartz piece that deserves reviving it's Pippin.

Misha77
#13re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:40pm

I am so BEYOND excited for this.
I just did the show over the Summer and enjoyed it immensely. I can't wait to see the cast list!

tkts
#14re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:43pm

Why would anyone want to revive this piece of crap? Leave it to the high schools where it belongs.

Cake or death?

DG
#15re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:44pm

I agree about PIPPIN - and THAT'S what Michael Arden should be doing.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#16re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:50pm

BARF! Isn't Jesus represented enough on Broadway (and on this board)?

LadyRosecoe
#17re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 1:55pm

Definitely bring in Pippin over this! Maybe this will wind up like Treasure Island.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#18re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 2:10pm

What the hell?! Where did this come from?!

Seriously, though, I'm excited. I grew up on the original Off-Off-Broadway recording with the guy you could hear in every single track even when he was in a group. The guy who sang "All Good Gifts".

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#19re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 2:21pm

I am one happy camper! The article mentioned a Shubert house, maybe the Belasco? Great atmosphere for that show!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#20re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 2:25pm

Why - with so many shows that need a revival - do they keep reviving the same shows over and over again?

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#21re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 2:26pm

would love shoshana to be in this. i mean she sings the crap out of "Bless The Lord."

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#22re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 2:26pm

Oh Jesus.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#23re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 2:27pm

Would LOVE to see Pippin as well.

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#24re: GODSPELL returns to Broadway, summer 2008
Posted: 10/15/07 at 2:28pm

I'm a huge fan of this show, but I'm a fan of the original production. I'm not much for radical rethinkings of a show that was beautiful in its simplicity the first time around. The set was nothing more than a chain link fence and a couple of saw horses. The talent of the cast was enough to keep the audience focused.
If it takes a Shubert house, i'm hoping for the Booth or the Music Box.
I'm excited, but very worried at the same time. I have this post-Wicked image of Jesus being hurled up to the rafters on a cherry-picker during his second "Oh God, I'm dyiiinnnnnggggg!"

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"