pixeltracker

Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING- Page 2

Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING

xoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
#25re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 7:31am

Some of them need to work on their accents, but I think that will come with time.

re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING Oh, the accent.

Overall, I throughly enjoy the play. There were definitely times where I would be surprised and confused. The "eh?" moments, if you so please -- but I think those add to the dysfunction of the family. As someone...wise once said (paraphrase) "You can intellectually analyze this play until you turn purple." (Or something like that, hehe)

Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.

johnsolt
#26re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 7:34am

How many people showed up? If tickets were still available at 7:30, did they have a full house? How big was the line? Finally, I can't tell whether this was a full-on rehearsal or a staged reading. There were entrances/exits, costume changes?

xoxRogue Profile Photo
xoxRogue
#27re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 7:37am

I'm not sure if there were a few empty seats or not, but it look as if it was almost full.

It was a full-on rehearsal. There were entrances/exits, but no costume changes (unless you consider coats and hats costumes).

Shari Lewis: Did you ever wish upon a star? Lamb Chop: I once asked Mr. Rogers for his autograph.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#28re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:31am

johnsolt, to give some slight perspective, I got there just before five and got ticket number 126 and the line remaining behind me was nowhere near as large as the line that was in front of me. I can't imagine that they gave out more than 200 tickets with that initial group at 6.

Yankeefan007
#29re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:11am

There were nowhere near 300 people on line, but the theater was entirely full, save 2 rows which were roped off. Two gentlemen who couldn't find seats together just ripped down the rope after the ushers yelled at them - but nobody ever came for those 2 rows.

It was a rehearsal. Off-book, with no costumes or sets, just a few props and chairs.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#30re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:30am

That house seats 360 in total, and they were admitting the first 300 people to show up.

Now that I'm reading these posts, I wish I stayed there to watch the reading!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

misschung
#31re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:31am

It's going to be incredible with the costumes and makeup and their own set. This really could be a phenomenal play.

I don't think Raul's behavior was attributed to nerves, per say, but I think he just gets so enthusiastic and excited about being in front of an audience. I've seen him do that on stage before - where he's just like, itching to perform.

It must have been really great for them all to finally be on stage in front of a captive audience. With this material, I can't imagine how hard it is to critique one's performance and gauge what works and what doesn't without an audience.

ETA: From the NY1 website:

The group Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS held a fundraiser last night with a reading of "The Homecoming." The show doesn't open until December 13th, but the producers are already trying to make up for a gap in donations.

"If there wasn't a strike for example, the actors, nightly, at the Court Theatre, where ‘The Homecoming’ will be playing would be taking buckets out at the end of the show and asking patrons if they've enjoyed the performance to contribute to this very worthy organization,” said Jeffrey Richards, producer, “The Homecoming.”

"With the shows down for two weeks, we haven't been able to make those appeals, and that's a loss of hundreds of thousands of dollars for us that the cast of ‘The Homecoming’ is helping us to make up,” said Tom Viola of Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

link

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?
Updated On: 11/26/07 at 09:31 AM

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#32re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:42am

Frogs fan, thank you for remembering the line! It was driving me nuts that I couldn't figure out what it was.

Lenny's laugh was certainly more like a fit of the giggles re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#33re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 9:52am

The tickets I was given at 7:30 were 284 and 285.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Yankeefan007
#34re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:01am

misschung, I must agree with you. To do this kind of show, a dark, sexual comedy, you need an audience ASAP. It's almost the same as doing a broad farce like Lettice and Loveage or Noises Off. The actors benefit from having a way to gauge how their performances went over.

I actually can't wait to see it again (after walking into the theater and telling my friend "well, I guess after this I won't need to go back,") just to see how the performances have changed with the theater.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#35re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:10am

My biggest concern for this show is the Cort. I wish there was a way they could just not sell seats in that balcony unless every seat in the Orchestra and Mezzanine has sold for the performance at hand.

Not to mention that location. They better have some serious TKTS marketing folks out there for every single performance encouraging people to get into the "Plays Only" line, buy tickets, and then map them out to the Cort.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Fantabulous428 Profile Photo
Fantabulous428
#36re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:13am

Well, I have to say, their marketing plan so far has been quite impressive. Their website alone is one of the strongest I've seen (for a play) in a while.

I recognize the addiction to being alive.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#37re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:13am

IF things get back on track this week, I've got a ticket for Thursday. I definitely plan to go later in the run after the kinks and stuff have been worked out.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

misschung
#38re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:19am

Me too, jordan.

I agree with you, fantab. Last night was an absolutely brilliant idea in and of itself. I think it definitely got people interested who might not have been before. I hope the show does well.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#39re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:28am

I think there was definitely a lot of interest drummed up. People were passing by on the street and asking what the line was for. If nothing else, the fact that a line curving around a building built up in the cold for a show should have drawn interest. And the Splash tours came by a couple of times too.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#40re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 10:40am

Yankee -- I think going over the top like that was a character choice, no doubt. But all of the joking around was definitely a cover for his nerves, and so he ended up a little bit like a loose cannon. And he was obviously thrilled to have people there the bounce things off of. So it wasn't the characterization that was out-of-synch. I like the childishness. And yes, you can't take your eyes off of him -- which is what drew me to his work in the first place. Last night, I just felt like... even though it's an absurdist play, everybody else was a lot more subtle and restrained than Raúl was, so he stuck way out. The way he was while he was standing over Eve Best as she was laying on the floor with Gareth Saxe -- that's what I want to see more of mixed in. And like I said, I don't dislike the choices; I just think he needs to lose that "look at me, I'm an actor, woohoo!!" sensibility because when he does that, it's too much performing at not enough acting. Which he will. He will get it.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 11/26/07 at 10:40 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#41re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:35am

It was a very surreal experience being there to see Eve Best but in the midst of Raul groupies. LOL. I still had fun though.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

luvtheEmcee
#42re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:36am

Oh, nevermind, I misread.

I'd honestly be surprised if the majority of that turnout was there to see Raúl. He certainly had a fan presence there, but he's not the main draw this time. I mean -- hello, Ian McShane? Harold Pinter?

I dunno, maybe I just hate the term "groupie." re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING

Updated On: 11/26/07 at 11:36 AM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#43re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 11:53am

The people around me in line anyway were all BIG TIME Raul fans ~ or seemed to be. I guess it was the curse of getting there early. LOL. It wasn't bad...I didn't mean that. I just got some weird looks when the woman in front of me looked at me after he'd walked by to go into the theatre and said "Don't you just love him?" I stammered and said "Actually I'm here because of Eve." She was like "Oh..." :) I don't dislike him, but he was not my reason for wanting to see the play. I'm more neutral on him than anything.

And I didn't mean groupies in a bad way. It's not ALWAYS a negative connotation. As long as spinach is not involved, you're fine. :)

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!
Updated On: 11/26/07 at 11:53 AM

luvtheEmcee
#44re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:03pm

Hah. That is actually kind of funny. re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING There were about thirty people or so already on line when I got there.

What did you think of his performance? I'm curious to hear the opinion of a neutral party. re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING I feel like I'm almost too critical, you know?

Updated On: 11/26/07 at 12:03 PM

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#45re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:43pm

I was like 4th in line. LOL.

I did think it was a little over the top... But I couldn't tell if it was in front of the audience for the first time with the work jitters or a conscious choice. I did think it possibly made some of the performances seem "dull" by comparison...but it may just be a case of everyone getting used to their characters and making them all work together. Like when I read the play, I did see Ruth as very reserved and sort of above the situation... And there is the indication from Teddy (whether it's true or not) that she's not well...so perhaps there is medication involved in Eve's mind when playing her. I don't know for sure.

That's why I really want to see it later in its run so that I can get a "real" picture of it when it's locked and settled. I think it'll be fantastic if they can all make their performances really gel together...which may involve compromise on all parts. We'll just have to see.

Overall, I did like it a lot more than I'd expected to just reading the play. I think as much as it's one that needs to get in front of an audience for the actors to really get it, I think it's one that needs to be seen to be "gotten" so to speak.

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

luvtheEmcee
#46re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 12:53pm

Ah, so you must have caught the really hardcore fans. re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING We're not all like that. re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING

I think they're right that it's the kind of play where when you rehearse it by yourselves over and over again, you sort of lose sight of whether it's funny or ridiculous or crazy or WHAT. And I think that's why they needed fresh pairs of eyes and ears to give instinctual reactions to it. I really hope we were helpful to them. re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING

luvtheEmcee
#47re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 4:45pm

Bump. I want to hear what more people thought.

luvtheEmcee
#49re: Weighing in on the run-through of THE HOMECOMING
Posted: 11/26/07 at 8:31pm

Raul looks like he's trick-or-treating.