Questions About BUSKER ALLEY

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#1Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 7:56am

Over 10 years ago I remember watching sign painters working on the facade of the St. James Theatre, advertising the soon to arrive BUSKER ALLEY with Tommy Tune. Then the papers announced that Tune had broken his ankle or leg, and later reported that the show was on hold. It never did make it to Broadway.

Yesterday, BWW announced a luncheon and show devoted to the "Broadway Bound BUSKER ALLEY", starring Jim Dale, and also announcing a cast album of the presentation to be held this Friday, including Glenn Close.

What happened to Tommy Tune's involvement in the show, as actor and director-choreographer? Why has it taken so long to finally come to Broadway; the film on which it is based, the wonderful 1938 ST. MARTIN'S LANE, would seem a natural source for a musical. Who else is slated to be in the cast? When is it trying to come to Broadway, this season or next?

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#2re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 8:12am

Its not inending to come to Broadway it was just a one off presentation of which they made a CD.

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#2re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 8:22am

But BWW announced that BUSKER ALLEY was Broadway bound.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

The Boy From Ohio Profile Photo
The Boy From Ohio
#3re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 9:40am

I saw the pre-Broadway tour with Tune in Tampa. I don't really remember much about it except the dancing. Lots of dancing around lamp posts. I have a program and Playbill for it somewhere.

9/10 - Next To Normal, Ensemble Theatre
9/18 - Brian Stokes Mitchell, Cincy Pop's
9/28 - Death Of A Salesman, Wright State

Corine2 Profile Photo
Corine2
#4re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:38pm

Gypsy,
It is a cd event. BWW was not suppossed to leak this info.

Mag Wildwood
#5re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 12:40pm

So does that mean it's true or not?

I too remember the VERY high profile painting of the theater to announce it, and then it never happened.

justme2 Profile Photo
justme2
#6re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:15pm

I remember the show in SF during it's tryout in 94 (I think that was the year). Saw it three times as they tinkered with it. It was an ok show, but I had a lot of trouble with the romance aspect between Tune and Darcie Roberts. No chemistry. Marcia Lewis was a busker, and I think Jeff Calhoun was in the show as well.

Some good tunes, and lots of high stepping dancing (which is really Tune's forte). When he broke his ankle during one of the last stops on the tour before it was to hit Broadway, there was a lot of negative press around it. Some claimed he really didn't break it, and was just trying to get out of the show, as it was troubled. I don't buy that.

Then I remember reading that one of the producers (a Stevie somebody) wanted to sue regarding the insurance around Tune's injury. Then the show died and no more news about it. Tune only briefly discusses the show in his autobiography Footnotes (a dissapointing read if you want to read about his creative process around the shows he choreographed and directed) and that's all I remember about it.

I've seen St Martin's Lane (on TCM years back) and it's also just an ok film. I could see the nugget for musicalization though, and understood why somone would want to put it on Broadway.

"My dreams, watching me said, one to the other...this life has let us down."

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#7re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 2:21pm

I saw it in Denver in its "Stagedoor Charlie" phase. Not the best show I have seen but I was happy to have seen Mr. Tune onstage. The lamp post swinging actually made me dizzy. really, it did. If the show I saw had gone straight to Broadway, it would have been crucified by the critics. It didn't get great reviews here.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 11/27/07 at 02:21 PM

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#8re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 6:36pm

Gypsy9, check your PMs.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

notyourself
#9re: Questions About BUSKER ALLEY
Posted: 11/27/07 at 7:33pm

Does anyone have any photos of the painted facade?

Videos