pixeltracker

"Come Back, Little Sheba" = S. Epatha is fantastic

"Come Back, Little Sheba" = S. Epatha is fantastic

Theatre101 Profile Photo
Theatre101
#1"Come Back, Little Sheba" = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 11:58am

I'm finally getting around to posting my thoughts about Little Sheba. I saw the second preview and was quite moved by this worn play, especially S. Epatha Merkerson's Lola.

Again, I saw the second preview, and there were some things that definitly needed worked on, but I thought it was in great shape.

I would reccomend it for S. Epatha's performance alone, but there is a lot of other goodness in it too. Not to mention some delicious eye candy. They don't write them like this anymore, and it's ashame.

I don't think everyone will love this revival. I'm going to generalize and say that folks over 30 will appriciate it more than those younger, but I certainly was moved by it.

I know there was some talk on here a week or so ago after the first preview, has anyone else seen it yet?

nitsua Profile Photo
nitsua
#2re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 11:59am

I haven't seen the show, but when ISN'T S. Epatha fantastic?

I'd love to see her in Caroline, or Change.

"Writing is like prostitution. First, you do it for love, then you do it for a few friends, and finally you do it for money." ~ Moliere

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#2re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:02pm

Hi Theater 101- what do you mean by ..."Not to mention some delicious eye candy." ?

Are you refering to guys with no shirt! I am just wonderin'...

Thanks..

J*

Updated On: 1/10/08 at 12:02 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#3re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:03pm

I think she would be good in Caroline!

Just give the world Love.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#4re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 12:24pm

She is SOOOOO good !!! I really wanted to jump on the stage and hug her ! Going back next Sat (thanks, TDF)

Its on TDF again, but dates are disappearing quickly.

Definitely worth seeing for her performance !

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#5re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 2:13pm

I'll be there Sunday, can't wait.

Theatre101 Profile Photo
Theatre101
#6re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:14pm

There is some eye candy. The guy who plays Turk, and the man who plays the Milkman are both extremely good looking men. Even if they play aint your thing, those two guys certainly will turn a few heads.

Walt-enjoy, it really is a moving, old-fashioned and well done evening of theatre.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#7re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 4:35pm

Seeing it the 26th with my former roommate from DC. She's taking the bus up and I'm getting up way early to wait on the rush line.

CANNOT WAIT!!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

cliffarico
#8re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/10/08 at 5:49pm

I would have loved to see Patty Duke play this part. I think she would have been wonderful..
I also read that Patty Duke would have loved to play this part, so maybe one day....

bkonbroadway
#9re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/11/08 at 2:34pm

I am seeing the show tonight with a friend. What's the rush like? Is it busy...I have another friend who wants to come and get a cheap ticket. If we get there around 6 do u think they will still have them? I can't wait!!!!

baddadnpa Profile Photo
baddadnpa
#10re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/13/08 at 11:29pm

I saw the show tonight and enjoyed it very much. Acting was terrific and the aforementioned eye candy was a pleasant surprise. One of the best male bodies I've seen on stage in a while - and barefoot to boot! It was hard to take my eyes off of him to concentrate on the dialogue taking please in the kitchen.

The truly beautiful should be lawfully restricted from wearing clothing; and the truly butt-ugly should be lawfully mandated from going naked.

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#11re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:19pm

I agree. Epatha is fantatsic in this play. Call me crazy, but so far I think she is strong enough to comepete head to head with Deanna Dunnagan (sp?) - who seems to be missing some performances over at August: Osage County - for a Tony Award.

Epatha is so simple and so effective here that it just really works. Her pain of growing old and aching sexual frustration, made so real by the close-at-hand vision of youth in the form of the couples boarder leading to the climactic act 2 when Epatha as Lola and Anderson as Doc get to display a blunt interplay of genuine life. Her resilient work here is really, really superb.

And it looks like bwayworld just posted a few pics of the production. And 1/2 of the eye delicious eye candy you're all talking about. Mmmmm!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=24282

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#12re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/14/08 at 8:26pm

Headed to NYC this weekend and seeing this show. I can't wait!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#13re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/14/08 at 9:24pm

I am definitely gonna see this show now... thanks guys ! I am looking at my schedule now.... re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic

...something about a male barefoot is tantalizing to see!

(from BWW)
re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic

re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic

Updated On: 1/14/08 at 09:24 PM

LaCageAuxFollesFan2 Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan2
#14re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/14/08 at 10:10pm

and u should see the milk man too. i dont remember my milkman looking nearly as good when i was a kid.

Testing1232
#15re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:44pm

Revisited yesterday. LOVE this show !!!!

S. Epatha's Lola is just so good !!

As LaCage mentioned... her Lola is played with such wonderful simplicity. It's effortless.

Anderson MUCH better since the initial preview, and Kazan really grew on me this time !

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#16re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:49pm

Saturday!!!!!! Cannot wait!! I will be up early and waiting at the Biltmore for rush!!

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Testing1232
#17re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:55pm

Jordan,

I think you're gonna love it !!! ENJOY !!!

Yankeefan007
#18re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/20/08 at 6:59pm

I'm seeing it Wednesday matinee.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#19re: 'Come Back, Little Sheba' = S. Epatha is fantastic
Posted: 1/20/08 at 7:07pm

Thanks testing! I'll report back!

LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

Videos