RENT review 1/13/08

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#25re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:01pm

Kenna Ramsey has the most amazing female voice I have ever heard. I saw her way back in the day many times in La Jolla. nobody has ever matched up to her Joanne!!!!

anyone know if Sharon Brown is ever or has ever been a part of the Broadway cast? She was by far ,the best Seasons of Love soloist I have ever seen.

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#26re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:01pm

Kenna Ramsey has the most amazing female voice I have ever heard. I saw her way back in the day many times in La Jolla. nobody has ever matched up to her Joanne!!!!

anyone know if Sharon Brown is ever or has ever been a part of the Broadway cast? She was by far ,the best Seasons of Love soloist I have ever seen.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#27re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:30pm

kenna and merle are by far the two best joanne's.....

masb19872
#28re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 4:31pm

"anyone know if Sharon Brown is ever or has ever been a part of the Broadway cast? She was by far ,the best Seasons of Love soloist I have ever seen."
She hasn't as far as I know. But I could be wrong :)

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#29re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:50pm

caren is incredible, I saw her twice as mimi over vacation and I can only imagine how great her maureen must be.

And winter, I agree with you. Who are you anyway? I probably know you.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#30re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 5:59pm

i would kill to see caren's/caryn's mimi

Pascal/Menzel/Bundy Profile Photo
Pascal/Menzel/Bundy
#31re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 6:04pm

RentBoy (and anyone else who may have said it throughout the course of this thread that I did not fully read): I totally agree with you about Declan. He was not very good on tour at all. The accent thing was my biggest problem though. I hope he really is doing better...

"It means nothing to come and sit in a theater night after night and immerse yourself in fantasy, only then to walk out the door and be unchanged in reality. This show will live on in our hearts. But where it truly must survive is in our actions, our compassion and our generousity of spirit towards one another." - Adam Pascal on the closing of RENT

winter_sky Profile Photo
winter_sky
#32re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 6:04pm

CAREN. not CARYN. re: RENT review 1/13/08

Becky
#33re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 6:46pm

Declan was the best Roger I had seen in 9 years. I was thrilled when they moved him to NY - his characterization/vocals were spot on in my opinion.

Kenna and McElroy are back? I may have to pay the Neder another visit soon......

Ole Chum
#34re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 7:11pm

Kenna and Caren must have been EARTHSHAKING.

Sharon Brown was the soloist in the 2nd national tour- and she was AMAAAAAZING, at least her solo in Seasons was. not sure if she ever went on as joanne.

masb19872
#35re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 7:27pm

Caren was a little under the weather last night, but she and Kenna were still killer. Their TMOLM was so fierce, it was great to see and hear.

A lot of people seem to have a problem with Dec's accent. Is it the fact that he has one, or that it's hard to understand?

Becky
#36re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 7:39pm

Is it the fact that he has one, or that it's hard to understand?

I'm not sure what the problem is, really. There are a few times where it slightly affects a word here and there - but it's really nothing to even note. To be honest, I'm surprised that people even comment on it - because you barely notice it and it doesn't get in the way of understanding anything. Huh.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#37re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 7:46pm

Kenna is amazing. Ugh now I'm jealous I would kill to see Kenna/Caren.

Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

jezi Profile Photo
jezi
#38re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 7:48pm

I actually did have a problem understanding Declan, it would've been a lot worse if I didn't know the show so well. I felt like he sounded like he had marbles in his mouth or something... I dunno. I think maybe it was worse when he tried to hide the accent. Really not sure. I did only see him once, perhaps it was an off day. Maybe I'll enjoy him more next time around. I at least liked him more than Tim, but that isn't saying much...

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#39re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 7:54pm

see now if i had said that ^ it would be saying a whole lot!!

masb19872
#40re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 7:54pm

I'm not sure what the problem is, really. There are a few times where it slightly affects a word here and there - but it's really nothing to even note. To be honest, I'm surprised that people even comment on it - because you barely notice it and it doesn't get in the way of understanding anything. Huh.

No, I've never really had a problem either. He such a wonderful actor and singer, I barely notice it. There are lines that he does seem to have a bit more trouble with, but nothing distracting.

From what I have heard, he tried to hide it early in the tour, which was a disaster. Perhaps that's what people are talking about. I don't know.

Craww
#41re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 8:11pm

I don't know that the accent was the reason, but I did find Declan's enunciation very poor. I also found it startling that he sang so much in falsetto. Made it seem like he couldn't really tackle singing the score in a full, supported voice.

jbdc
#42re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 9:40pm

Has anyone seen Kyle Post go on as Roger? I think he's the swing. A friend of mine said he was her favorite, and she's seen it like a hundred times.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#43re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 9:50pm

I saw Kyle just over a year ago and he was DREADFUL. Truly an awful performance.

RentBoy86
#44re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/15/08 at 10:28pm

Well, I might see it again in March just because it's RENT, but Declan was awful on the tour. I saw it twice while it was here - because I love the show: not the cast - and both times he was horrible. I thought the Mark u/s on tour was actually way better than Harley Jay. But hell, maybe they are both "spectacular now," but the words "best" favorite" "awesome" "spectacular" are not words that I would use to describe the two leads.

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#45re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/16/08 at 9:59am

Matt Caplan phoning it in... Surprise, surprise. Grant it, he's been in that show nearly 10 years. But it's unfair to the people who come to see the show. I wish him the best and hoping he finds a new project or an opportunity for his music but I'm so glad he won't have RENT to fall back on anymore.

masb19872
#46re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/16/08 at 3:27pm

I've seen Kyle's Roger and Mark a few times. He's a great singer, but he can't act his way out of a bag. On his good nights, he's bearable, but on his bad nights... it's painful. I feel bad for him, honestly.

RentBoy86
#47re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/16/08 at 3:44pm

It sucks that this is the last cast that will play these characters. An utter shame.

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#48re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/16/08 at 4:11pm

Tamyra CANT close the show. that's just not fair bring Karmine on!!!!

kyle. Profile Photo
kyle.
#49re: RENT review 1/13/08
Posted: 1/16/08 at 5:07pm

Matt Caplan should never have been hired back. He should be embarrassed for himself. His performances have been an absolute joke for years now.