pixeltracker

William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.

William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#1William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/29/08 at 12:06pm

(per playbill)
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/114658.html

Tony Award winner Frances Ruffelle will be among the stars of the London premiere of Make Me a Song: The Music of William Finn, which is scheduled to launch March 3 at the Off West End Players Theatre.

Ehem... but when are they going to release the OfBC? I'm still waiting !!! London will have a different director not Rob Ruggiero- speaking of him... I will see his THE LITTLE DOG LAUGHED at Hartford's Theater Works with CHAD ALLEN this weekend..
Can't wait!

J*

Updated On: 1/29/08 at 12:06 PM

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#2re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/29/08 at 3:08pm

Yay! Especially if they record it! Anyone singing more Bill Finn is wonderful in my book... although I can't imagine which songs Frances Ruffelle would be singing.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#2re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/29/08 at 3:20pm

The London production added 1 more actor too.. the off-broadway has 4?!
re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.

Updated On: 1/29/08 at 03:20 PM

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#3re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/29/08 at 3:38pm

Well, there was also the pianist who occasionally sang as well... does that count?

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#4re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/29/08 at 3:39pm

Frances Ruffelle can do no wrong, IMO. We need more albums featuring her. One can only listen to "On My Own" so many times.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#5re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/29/08 at 3:53pm

It seem like the London production has a higher caliber cast. Not only Frances Ruffelle but Ian "H" Watkins(of the uber successful UK pop ban Steps), I wonder how they managed that in the UK when the NY cast wasn't as high profile.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

mrkringas Profile Photo
mrkringas
#6re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/29/08 at 4:18pm

H isn't exactly my favourite to see in this show but bless him he did take the postgrad at RAM after being a celeb and learned from the best for a year. So shall go see him with an open mind. The others are solid pros who should deliver..Gareth Snook has been around for years and never lets you down..Dearman also has a large voice that should really soar on Finn's music. I know what I am doing in March!

chrissydee Profile Photo
chrissydee
#7re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/29/08 at 4:57pm

Higher caliber?! H from steps does not count as high calibre musical theatre performer, and Francess Rufelle can do plenty wrong. She was possibly the worst Roxi Hart ever on stage, she was dreadful in the review show "Schwartz Stories" and is generally pretty awful/lacklusture/uninspired/boring/god damn bad in everything she does. No offence to the woman (who i have met and is lovely!) But she , and H from steps do now way count as a high calibre casting.

sorry for the rant!!! No offence or annoyance intended for anyone!

luceecool
#8re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/30/08 at 7:05am

What theatre is this actually at as I tried googling the "Off West End Players Theatre" and it didn't find anything re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON. (I personally think the addition of H from steps is a bonus, not in a musical way but a I used to have a crush on him as a child way)

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#10re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/30/08 at 9:58am

H is a name. People in London know who he is. He was part of one of the best selling bands in the UK. So don't tell me he's not high caliber, because he is. And though some people may not personally like Frances, she is a name as well. A-list theater performer in the UK. So both stars are high caliber, just as Clay Aiken is high caliber in Spamalot, it doesn't mean he's the most amazing performer, but he is a name. Oif!

*end defense of former teen idols, Les Miserables veterans, and American Idol Runner-ups*

Updated On: 1/30/08 at 09:58 AM

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#11re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/30/08 at 10:00am

Great news!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

markymatt
#12re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/30/08 at 10:03am

High calibre and high profile are not synonymous.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#13re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/30/08 at 10:07am

The rest of the cast is pretty high calibER(not re), just saying why couldn't they pull in some stars for the NY run.

markymatt
#14re: William Finn's MAKE ME A SONG will be stage in LONDON.
Posted: 1/30/08 at 10:23am

I have no doubt that the cast is high caliber or calibre, but your reasoning was that "H is a name. People in London know who he is. He was part of one of the best selling bands in the UK. So don't tell me he's not high caliber, because he is." Just because "people know who he is" does not mean he is "high caliber". Just like someone who is not well known is not necessarily of lesser quality. They are independent of one another.

Your original statement may very well be valid (although, even though no one knew who they were, I thought the off-Broadway cast was excellent). However, your following comments do nothing to back up that statement.

And, from dictionary.com: "Also, especially British, cal·i·bre."
Updated On: 1/30/08 at 10:23 AM

Videos