The Battery's Down

TannerONbw Profile Photo
TannerONbw
#1The Battery's Down
Posted: 1/30/08 at 12:45am

Has anyone heard anything about this new web-show that is going to be put out? Here is a link to the first trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4PKmI9uDAg

It looks like it is made, and filmed well and is going to have a pretty nice amount of guest stars on it. In the first episode alone Jon Groff and Mike Arden. Here is a copy of the description:

Jake Wilson is the creator of the show and will be writing, producing, and starring in the series. THE BATTERY'S DOWN will also feature friends and fellow young performers portraying themselves. However, the distinguishing idea of this series is that every episode will feature a fully recorded, produced, choreographed, and staged musical number that will be filmed much like a music video or a modern-day movie musical. Each new episode will have one written by a talented musical theatre composer or writing team. Already on board are: Benj Pasek and Justin Paul (EDGES), David Kirshenbaum (VANITIES, PARTY COME HERE), Josh Salzman and Ryan Cunningham (I LOVE YOU BECAUSE), and Ryan Scott Oliver and Kirsten A. Guenther (ALIVE AT TEN).

Also can we talk a little bit about how amazing these U of Mich graduates have done marketing themselves. Andrew Keenan-Bolger's Blog from the Spelling Bee, Videos from Reviews, Pasek and Paul, and Now this.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#2re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 1/30/08 at 10:04am

OMG! I am SO excited for this! Jake is incredibly talented as are the rest of the folks on that video! I can't wait for February 1! Thanks for posting! I'm sure all the fans of AKB know about this too!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

TannerONbw Profile Photo
TannerONbw
#2re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/1/08 at 5:03pm

Not sure why this was bumped up to the main page, but it was made before the new thread, so don't Flame me. :)

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#3re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/1/08 at 5:06pm

The first episode was fantastic!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#4re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/2/08 at 7:42pm

Uh just watched it, and the singing was kind of horrible. The dancing was good though, so props? I guess?

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

Theatre_Taste21
#5re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/4/08 at 10:30am

Honestly, I think this show had a great concept...and seemly a lot of support within the theatre community, but the production values of the show are poor, the talent was not shown off well (if there was any), and the story was not overly believable in many regards, and the attempted humor...bleh...

props for concept and apparent coordination, please get a better exec producer with a decent creative eye and better post production...

OK i am going to rescind some comments while keeping the first message....

In my defense... I only saw the first half the episode...why would they would did not do the premiere as a full episode is beyond me...i see now where all the production value went... into the musical number which was done very well (with a larger cast then expected)... I still stick to what i said about this show needing a better exec producer because the dialogue, (and frankly acting, which is lead by the dialogue) is way to campy and corny and reminds me of watching high school theatre...if they could have put as much work as they did in the choreography of the musical number (the locations) and so forth, this show would be infinetly better...

as i stated earlier, great concept, lots of kinks to be worked out...hopefully with the broadway support the show is getting it will turn aroud...
Updated On: 2/4/08 at 10:30 AM

SamuelJHextall Profile Photo
SamuelJHextall
#6re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/4/08 at 10:42am

hahah i love this show it heard it was coming for ages and i love courtney wolfsen shes amazing they all aree u of m keeps bringing new amazing talent!!

~But The songs are so happy!~ - Little Sally

Link Larkin Wanabe Profile Photo
Link Larkin Wanabe
#7re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/4/08 at 10:43am

Theatre_Taste21,

Perhaps you should ask for your money back. :P

Keep in mind these people are doing this for free, for your entertainment. This isn't their job or a source of income for them, so they can't be expected to produce the HIGHEST production values. If they charged that would be a different story.

I was entertained by it....particularly Part 2 way more than Part 1, ad would love to see where it goes. I am surprised that of all things, acrocksyo, you weren't impressed with the singing. I thought the singing was the best part. I mean...Cortney IS an understudy for Eponine on Broadway.

Akiva

Theatre_Taste21
#8re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/4/08 at 11:22am

haha... after hearing you say that they did this with out investors or money....maybe i should have paid to up the values a little... :)

haha... i just made a huge addendum to my statement above, as i had only seen part one... (was no real singing in part 1) I agree the musical number is actually what made the episode... and was done very well and the singing and acting and everything in the number was pretty top notch, if anything i wish the show could over all be like that number... i wasnt aware the show had no formal backing... i assumed with the press and names they had some money involved in the show... so will give it more credit for that too...

overall as i stated earlier... they need to work out the dialogue and flow to the show that happens earlier (comes across as overally corney and cheesey) but the musical number was great... and who ever the girl is who starts singing to the lead character jake in the begining f the number does have a beautiful voice, i agree...props to her and look forward to seeing where her career goes....

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#9re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/4/08 at 11:58am

It was just "eh" for me. The singing was not really that good, in my opinion. It was cute, but that was about it. No need to be on the attack LLW when I was just stating an opinion. The dancing was the best part for me. And Les Miserables isn't open anymore, wah wah.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like
Updated On: 2/4/08 at 11:58 AM

squeakyfromme82 Profile Photo
squeakyfromme82
#10re: The Battery's Down
Posted: 2/5/08 at 9:39am

I think they've done a great job for the most part. If there's any issue, I think the recorded track is just not that high of quality.

On that note, I'm a huge Haviland Stillwell fan, as pretty much anyone will tell you...and I know that the new musical she is doing, VOTE!, is filming a show not exactly like this from the way it sounds, but with similar elements. Some actual unscripted footage and then a full production number at the end. (First ep. is "Your Next President")

I think that those tracks from VOTE! are a bit better produced (the mix is a lot better for sure) so hopefully that will translate well into film.

All those Les Mis kids are into this kind of stuff!

Videos