pixeltracker

Any Elisabeth fans on here?- Page 2

Any Elisabeth fans on here?

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#25re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 2:50pm

Oh my god

While this show isn't what I'd call bad (it isn't what I'd call good either), I hope it would get a translator who fixes the lyrics. And an orchestrator who banishes the overly synthesizeresque 80ies sound in the orchestrations.

ThankstoPhantom
#26re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 4:47pm

Uwe Kroger's der Tod was far more compelling in the Original Vienna Production than in the recent Essen production....it was as if he lost all spark and passion for the character.

That said, the original version is far more intense and erotic than what Mate Kamaras did. I enjoyed Kamaras' performance, however, the character calls for a very mysterious and subdued delivery to make him appear more supernatural.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Marianne Profile Photo
Marianne
#27re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 2/7/08 at 7:21pm

The first thing it needs is an English translation that doesn't suck. ("The Shades of Night are Growing?" Honestly?!)

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#28re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 3:37pm

Okay, I was thinking of downloading the Elisabeth cast recording, but which one? There is a blue recording from 2004 and a red one from 2005.

Which is better and why? What are the differences? Is Pia on both?

Thanks for any advice.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

exedore
#29re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 5:05pm

The 1996 Live, 2004 Highlights and 2005 Live CDs are with Maya Hakvoort who is definitely an acquired taste (and one I can't stand despite being the only one I've seen live). Personally I don't think she pulls off young!Elisabeth well and her style of emoting is painful to listen to at times.

Pia is on the 1992 Vienna, 1999 Netherlands and 2003 Essen CDs. The Essen CD is my favourite, and is really the OMGBIG numbers from the show. The 1992 CD fills in most of the gaps and has a lusher orchestration, but I really don't feel like the show came together until the 1996 revisions (and I prefer the German libretto overall vs. the Austrian one). The Netherlands CD is nice, but not my fave. If you do go for the 2003 CD, it was reissued in 2006 with a few new tracks from the Stuttgart cast featuring Maike Borderam as Elisabeth. A lot of people hate her, but I don't mind her when she's on such as her numbers on the Tenth Anniversary Concert CD (though she can sound like a strangled cat when she's having a bad night).

In terms of Japanese cast recordings (since you didn't ask), everybody has a favourite, everybody has ones they can't stand.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#30re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 5:10pm

"Pia Douwes is currently 43 years old, and will be playing Elisabeth again this April in Berlin!"

and I'll be seeing her in it on April 30, with absolutely AMAZING seats!

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#31re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 5:12pm

" ("The Shades of Night are Growing?" Honestly?!)"

well, that's the literal translation, but I took it to mean shadows

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Mattbrain
#32re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 8:15pm

doodle, the red CD is the entire show and the blue one is highlights.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

rabymon10
#33re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/11/08 at 9:36pm

Definitely agree with you there about Maike exedore! Sometimes she hits the notes beautifully, but other times she just makes me think WTH? Why did she try to announciate that particular word in that way?! Case in point being 'Ich gehor nur mir' and 'Wenn ich tanzen will' on the Stuttgart cast recording. She makes a very beautiful Elisabeth, and her charisma reminds me a lot of Pia (though somtimes it *seems* as if she's trying to copy Pia in a lot of ways) but lacks a certain dignity in the role, perhaps due to her youthfullness. The best comparison I can make of Maike is of Frances Ruffelle on the Les Miserables OLCR. She sounds incredibly whiny like that, and when she's in the upper-register...

Maya on the other hand; now that's a different story. I hate the Vienna Live Recording, and when I first saw Maya, she just reminded me of a 'feral' being for lack of a better word. It's the way that she held herself, and the way that she sometimes thrust herself around. She just wasn't quite the refined Elisabeth I was used to with Pia. Over the years though, I've quite warmed to her, at least to the way she sings, and the expression she puts into her words. I know she isn't much better (vocally wise) than Maike sometimes, but I think you expect it much more with Maya - it goes hand in hand not just with her actions, but also with her look; she has got these stern and straight facial features which translate well with the way she interprets the role.

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#34re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/12/08 at 9:16am

Thanks, all...so many recordings...it's confusing! I think I will actually order the cd instead, as I'd like some liner notes to help me out with the plot, etc.

I also will definitely get Rebecca which I just discovered. Sounds lovely, and I love the woman who plays Mrs. Danvers' voice.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

Lance2 Profile Photo
Lance2
#35re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/12/08 at 2:11pm

re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?

I love this musial and seen it several times.

Pia Douwes told me in an interview two years ago that she preferred the Essen version from 2001.

Personally I hate the original Vienna version for as far as it concerns the horrible sets. I guess if you’re from Germany or Austria you’ll ‘get it’, to me it was just awful. They released an official dvd with the complete Vienna show in 2005. It features Maya Hakvoort as Elisabeth (she’s played the part in Vienna since Pia left) and Mate Kamaras as The Death (He’s a hunk, but he's off key a lot!)

I think the 2006 cast recording (red cover, white logo) is the most complete to get. It sounds less dated. The original 1992 cast recording sounds as if it’s 25 years old.

Personally I love the Dutch version, with Pia performing the songs in her own language. But the dutch cast recording is a very flat studio recording. There’s also a Dutch soundboard of the first preview floating around which is very good.

There’s a very good synopsis on this site: http://www.theatre-musical.com/

PS. There’s an English demo of the musical Rebecca with Pia Douwes as Mrs. Danvers, Maike Boerdam as Ich/I and Uwe Kroeger as Maxim de Winter. It gives a good impression of the show.

PPS. Picture of Pia as Elisabeth and Addo Kruizinga as Rudolf in the dutch version of Elisabeth.

Updated On: 3/12/08 at 02:11 PM

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#36re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/12/08 at 2:54pm

Thanks!

ThankstoPhantom
#37re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/12/08 at 10:58pm

Pia Douwes' Elisabeth is absolute perfection. She ages the character so graefully and nails every idiosyncracy. Maya Hakvoort plays the role very straightforward and potently. I prefer Douwes by miles, but Hakvoort certainly has her moments. The only problemis, Douwes is believable as a royal, Hakvoort, not so much.

I feel that the best scenario would be the Essen libretto with the Vienna look (with revisions for the world market). The Essen sets dwarfs its characters, and Vienna always focused a lot more on the politics of the story. With the Vienna set's sharpness, the characters' emotions could be all the more emphasized.

I've thought of how some song titles could be changes. "Die Schatten..." could be anything such as "The Darkness Creeps and Conquers"....or whatever.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Lance2 Profile Photo
Lance2
#38re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 8:33am

The Vienna sets are just a circus. Literally. I don't get the politics in it. Seeing a full restaurant set on bumper cars or a bunch of prostitutes on a caroussel just makes it goofy to me.

I overall prefer the Essen version.

I still think the funiest part is that in Austria, Swiss and Germany the first cast Elisabeth has always been Dutch... re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#39re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 9:08am

I'm a HUGE fan of this piece. When I got it I spent about 3 months doing my own translation of it. (I took Germen in school) As much as I love it, it would need some revisions to play well on Broadway.

Urban
#40re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 9:30am

So is Pia to Elisabeth like what J.Hol is to Dreamgirls? One role she repeats over and over and over and over again?

pirrar
#41re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 11:06am

Pia will not play on April 30....

exedore
#42re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 11:13am

Pia has returned to the role a few times, but has done many other roles including Evita, Sally in Cabaret, Roxie(?) in Chicago, and more.

pirrar
#43re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 11:15am

She wasn't Roxie, she played Velma.

ThankstoPhantom
#44re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 10:21pm

Urban, although Elisabeth is her most famous role, she has not allowed it to take over her career. She has played countless roles internationally since then, and has also recorded a CD.

She will be in Elisabeth from April-August, followed by a Dutch production of Sunset Boulv., where she will play Norma Desmond.

By the way, Lance, where could one find your interview with Douwes?

And yes, Douwes, Hakvoort, Maike Boerdamm, Wietske von Tongeron are all Dutch! Hmm....:)

pirrar
#45re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/14/08 at 11:27am

i read on her fansite that Pia will play Elisabeth till juli 6.
And April 16,17,18, 23,24,25,30 and Mai 1, she will not play

Mattbrain
#46re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 3/20/08 at 9:41am

Bought the cast recording off of iTunes

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#47re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:56am

Okay...so I have tried to digest all of your wonderful analysis of the different recordings AND the various Sissy's, but I remembered a friend had seen it, loved it, and bought the recording. It is indeed the 1996 recording with Maya. Since that one was free, if I like the music, I will get the Essen recording. I'm not sure if I can stop listening to "Rebecca" however. That Rigvava-Dumas does things to me!

pirrar
#48re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 4/16/08 at 1:27pm

i'm so happy!! i'm going to Elisabethre: Any Elisabeth fans on here?re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?, juli 5.

BkCollector
#49re: Any Elisabeth fans on here?
Posted: 4/16/08 at 1:28pm

I am SO jealous. Is the staging still the same as the 2005 DVD? SOme of it is kinda hella lame, in my opinion.