Company and teenagers

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#25re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 7:10pm

I'd say yes to Wicked, no to the other 2, unless they saw Legally Blonde on MTV.

I don't think Legally Blonde is a bad show, and would take a non-theatre person to see it. I think it is smarter than most people give it credit for. My favorite show last season, by far.

Craww
#26re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 7:11pm

Find Raul Esparza singing 'Defying Gravity' and play it for them. Wicked fans will follow one of their beloved Elphabas into any show.

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#27re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 7:17pm

Just a random note:

When I first saw this topic I thought it was going to be about rewriting "Company" and making it about teenagers lives, but then I thought that maybe it was about "Company" being performed by teenagers, and then I saw what it actually was about!!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#28re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:02pm

I saw the revival when I was 17 and fell in love with it. I didn't know a thing about the show when I saw it.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Perfectly Marvelous Profile Photo
Perfectly Marvelous
#29re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:12pm

On Raul being a stud - show them the "Hair" video. re: Company and teenagers

Back on topic; Company doesn't have to be marketed, in a sense, because it's essentially an easy show to piece together. It's about relationships, about being the odd one out despite being surrounded by friends. I think everyone has at least felt like Robert at some point in their lives. (Personally, I always seem to find myself indentifying with Robert, for one reason or another.) And if the students don't like it, you can't say you didn't try, right? re: Company and teenagers

[On a side-note; one of my friends, who only likes a few shows, was completely taken with Company because I told him "It's a show about relationships." His response? "I had no idea there was a musical like that!" So, there is hope.]

"I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams." - Doctor Who

"Yes, the brutalities of progress are called revolutions. When they are over, men recognize that the human race has been harshly treated but it has moved forward." - Les Miserables

Updated On: 2/18/08 at 09:12 PM

sylvesterbird Profile Photo
sylvesterbird
#30re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 9:29pm

"Find Raul Esparza singing 'Defying Gravity' and play it for them. Wicked fans will follow one of their beloved Elphabas into any show."

Nice :) Show how awesome a singer he is AND how hilarious he is re: Company and teenagers and as someone who lives farther away from new york as i would like, i can't wait for wednesday!!! (and the raisin in the sun broadcast!)

thereisnofuture Profile Photo
thereisnofuture
#31re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:04pm

I'm 13 and I'm watching it completely voluntarily...

ben1986 Profile Photo
ben1986
#32re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 10:11pm

Again, thanks to everybody who answered. To clear up a point, these kids are freshmen in college, who are all studying different aspects of the performing arts. A majority of them are actors who want to go into musical theatre. That being said while they have been taught theory, many of them have never been taught the history of musical theatre.

An example, is that when 'Sweeney Todd' came out they had no idea that it had been done on the stage decades before. I agree, shame on them and their previous teachers for failing to point out the history of the theatre. My goal though is to use this event and start teaching some musical history to them with the goal of sparking their interest.

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#33re: Company and teenagers
Posted: 2/18/08 at 11:18pm

FRESHMAN PERFORMING ARTS MAJORS IN COLLEGE!!!
That completely BAFFLES my mind!!!

How in the world could any of them not know so little about musical theatre!? If they're choosing this as their college major they have had to have liked it for awhile, how could they go about loving musical theatre and not bothering to look beyond the first few shows they fell in love with? ...I'm completely thrown...I mean...when they bought the cast recording in the store...it was next to other shows...wouldn't they...I mean...it makes no...but...how...

*sits to ponder*

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott