Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08

callmemadam1953
#1Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:40pm

Today. February 25, 2008 marks The Ethel Merman Cenntenial. 100 Years of completion on the Broadway Stage and she still remains the queen of Broadway.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#2re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/25/08 at 2:56pm

....except she was born January 18?

callmemadam1953
#2re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:20pm

No she was born January 16, 1908. My birthday is on her birthday. Her cenntenial was anounced on Broadway's Best. And well of course I am Ethel's biggest fan and I know everything about her so I was guessing it had to be around the 25th.

philcrosby
#3re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/27/08 at 12:37pm

Madam, Ethel has lots of "biggest fans" on this board!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#4re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/27/08 at 1:15pm

"Hello, PalJoey, it's me, Ethel! WHO says she's my biggest fan? WHO?!? Never heard of her! Tell the stupid sockpuppet she can get in line. No, wait! Tell her I've cut off applications! She can get in line for the LINE!"

re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08

"I love you too, PalJoey. No, you don't. I love you MORE. No, I do. I said I DO! Ahhhh, shut up and let me love you MORE, or I'll tell callmemadam1953 she can have the title. Bye now!"

callmemadam1953
#5re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/27/08 at 10:53pm

Very Funny, for your information 3 women in My family new Ethel very well. My Great Grandmother and her sister did her hair and nails in the 50s when she moved out here to Colorado with Bob Six. My grandfather new Bob Six who was married to Ethel. My grandfather worked at Coors and was really good friends with The Coors president....Guess who he knew, Well of course he knew Ethel Merman. Miss Merman was at many parties my grand parents went to that he hosted. They new her very well. My Great Great Grandma was one of the hairdressers on the set of Kid Millions in 1934 as well as Top is the limit. In 1979 I had the pleasure of meeting the broad in New York. When I was passing a restruant Ethel was coming out of the door and I asked for an autograph (nice, funny lady). I have many archives of Ethel's autographs from the 50s when she played the Ampitheatre In Colorado and photographs that my grandma had. So you may call me stupid but I bet you or anyone else for that fact doesnt have a couple generations of family who personally new Ethel. And for all the fact meeting Ethel changed my life theatre wise I have never been so devoted to a person in my life. Even my 6 husbands. After that meeting I tried to see all Ethel's final performances from about 77-82. I even saw her all the time when I hadn't even met her yet. As a teenager I could not get enough of the women, I still love her to death and love to pass the stories that my grandparents and back some more passed down to me for my nieces and nephews. As far as my birthday goes I was born Jan 16th too. what a small world. So if you want to add any more smart ass comments PalJoey? I would think twice before lighting another fire. And as for you philcrosby I respect a lot of your posts reply's on Miss Merman Just an FYI. Anybody else like to go ape **** on me?

[IMG]re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08

callmemadam1953
#6re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/27/08 at 10:55pm

Updated On: 2/27/08 at 10:55 PM

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#7re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/27/08 at 11:22pm

wow impressive

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#8re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/27/08 at 11:56pm

So why don't all her fans here get together and petition the Shuberts to name one of their useless named theaters like The Broadway, The Winter Garden, Majestic, or Imperial after her?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#9re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/29/08 at 3:19pm

So if you want to add any more smart ass comments PalJoey?

Yeah. As Ethel would say...

"What the effin'-eff does any of THAT matter? I don't care if your grandfather was my obstetrician and had his HANDS up my hoo-ha, PalJoey is STILL my biggest fan!"

Updated On: 2/29/08 at 03:19 PM

philcrosby
#10re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/29/08 at 3:46pm

PalJoey, will you marry me? That is too funny.

Sorry it's at your expense, Madam, but it IS too funny.

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#11re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 2/29/08 at 3:49pm

Yay for Ethel!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

callmemadam1953
#12re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/1/08 at 12:29pm

Unlikely, so if your Ethel's biggest fan and I am her biggest fan I guess we will both have to get in line, right? Or wait you are probably going to reply back:

Ethel: back off bitch, PalJoey was here first. Shut Up and let me love you more and tell callmemadam1953 she can go **** herself!

Who the hell are you guys to tell me to get in line! You need to get in the goddamn line. I do know though that you PalJoey are the biggest asshole I have encountered on here and dont give a **** about what you have to say anymoe regarding this post. Have fun with your imaginary friendship with Ethel.

callmemadam1953
#13re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/1/08 at 12:50pm

Why dont we call a theatre after her? Well the Imperial, The Garden, and majestic have definitely been around way to long to rename them. Plus Ethel Merman opened a lot of shows in them so I dont think renaming them after her would be a good Idea. But if we built another theatre in NY we could possibly say something....

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#14re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/1/08 at 5:50pm

"Why dont we call a theatre after her? Well the Imperial, The Garden, and majestic have definitely been around way to long to rename them.

WHAT?

Plus Ethel Merman opened a lot of shows in them so I dont think renaming them after her would be a good Idea.

WHAT?

But if we built another theatre in NY we could possibly say something....

WHAT?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#15re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/2/08 at 9:31pm

Ethel says,

"Irving, I tell ya, that chick is BANANAS!"

#16re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/2/08 at 9:38pm

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAAA!!!!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#17re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/2/08 at 11:59pm

Yes we MUST have the Ethel Merman Theate! That's if the Shuberts aren't too busy naming theatres after business executives/accountants.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#18re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/3/08 at 7:59am

The Imperial should be re-named the Ethel Merman Theatre. She starred there in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, CALL ME MADAM, and GYPSY when it transferred there from the Broadway.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#19re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/3/08 at 8:40am

Here! Here! I second that suggestion.

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#20re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/3/08 at 11:25am

Just so my head doesn't explode, please spell "Knew" with a K, as in "I had prior knowledge of", and not "new" with an N, as in "for the very first time?"

Not pointing fingers, just deducting points for spelling....

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#21re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/3/08 at 1:11pm

Ethel, apparently, did not want a theatre named for her. Her estate at one time was blocking attempts to do so. Is her son, Bobby still alive?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#22re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/3/08 at 2:03pm

I knew that Ethel Merman did not specifically want the 42nd Street Apollo Theatre re-named for her, even though she appeared there in the 1930's. That seemed to be because she sensed the tawdry evolution that 42nd Street was to become in a pre-Disney world.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#23re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/3/08 at 3:45pm

It wouldn't even cost them anything to change the sign. I mean, that's a perfect example of what the restoration fee is for, right?

Tom148502
#24re: Ethel Merman Cenntenial 2/25/08
Posted: 3/3/08 at 4:12pm

CallMeMadam1953 said:
"I bet you or anyone else for that fact doesnt have a couple generations of family who personally new Ethel."

My aunt (98 years old now) knew Ethel Merman very well. She appeared with Merman in the Broadway musical TAKE A CHANCE. My aunt's 2nd husband also knew Merman for years and conducted her appearances on his television show, The Bell Telephone Hour. My cousins (the 2nd generation) also knew Merman because of the close connection with Merman that their parents had. I didn't know Merman but saw her on stage in HAPPY HUNTING, GYPSY, the Lincoln Center revival of ANNIE GET YOUR GUN, and HELLO, DOLLY! as well as two concerts when she was appearing around the country with symphony orchestras. The theatre needs someone like her, Mary Martin and Gwen Verdon today, but I doubt that people like that can ever be replaced.

Videos