pixeltracker

BWW March Madness results... final!- Page 3

BWW March Madness results... final!

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#50re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 3/27/08 at 5:59pm

Seeds are sort of like rankings, but not strictly so. the committee that puts together the field of teams in the NCAA tournament breaks them into 4 groups, and then ranks the teams within the groups from 1-16 (actually, I suspect they rank them first, then put them in groups, but anyway). This is meant to give the higher-ranked teams an advantage in the early rounds and keep as many favored teams in as long as possible. So, for example, #1 plays #16, #2 plays #15, etc. Being #8 or #9 is usually seen as a real curse, as you as assured of playing a team that is roughly your equal. Teams with low seeds that advance are considered Cinderellas, meaning nobody expected they'd be invited to the ball, yet here they are and winning the prince, so to speak. In basketball, seeding is done based on records, division championships, and overall ranking at the end of the season. In this tournament, slimandslam used total #of performances to seed the shows into his brackets.

ETA: bandit beat me to the punch. Updated On: 3/27/08 at 05:59 PM

slimandslam Profile Photo
slimandslam
#51re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 3/29/08 at 2:48am

Bumped to reflect the (incipient) posting of results for Round 3, games 3, 4, 5, and 6:

Game 3: Miss Saigon defeated Titanic, 60-34.
Game 4: Parade defeated Putting It Together, 65-2.
Game 5: Ragtime defeated Rent, 89-50.
Game 6: Kiss of the Spider Woman defeated Crazy for You, 34-17.

A few notes:
I said "incipient" because, unlike most nights, I did the bump post first and will update the initial post later. Apologies for any confusion, which will probably last maybe ten minutes, if that.

Because of my day off, I won't post any results tomorrow night (Saturday, 3/29), and I therefore won't bump this thread. I will, however, post two new games.

bandit964 said:
I was searching for some themes for next year, and on ibdb.com it was so hard to find a category with a number close to 64. the 90s was a nice one. Bravo to you.
Thanks for the compliment. Yes, "Broadway Musicals of the '90s" was the category this year, among other reasons, because the initial pool was so close to 64. However, especially in the early rounds, this actually was a little problematic, and was less than fully analogous to the NCAA basketball tournament.

In the NCAAs, the 64 basketball teams are selected from an overall pool of over 300 eligible college basketball programs, so (with the exception of a fluky conference-tournament winner or two) there aren't any teams in the basketball tournament that are unambiguously cruddy. By contrast, a fair number of the entrants in this here BWW March Madness thingy would probably be fairly described as substandard Broadway musicals. Granted, most of the really weak entries got eliminated in the first round and weren't going to win anyway, but it still filled the first round with blowouts. Picking 64 entrants for the next tournament from a larger, stronger field should make the tournament more interesting from round 1 onwards.

slimandslam
#52re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 3/30/08 at 10:23pm

Bumped to reflect the posting of results for Round 3, games 7 and 8:

Game 7: Passion defeated The Who's Tommy, 36-34.
Game 8: Falsettos defeated Jekyll & Hyde, 39-15.

The four games comprising the quarterfinals are now all active (or will be in a few minutes, if you're reading this immediately after posting).

The semifinals are currently scheduled to begin the evening of April 2nd, with votes due by 11:00pm EDT on April 4th. The final game should be posted on April 5th, with votes due by the conclusion of the NCAA men's basketball championship game on Monday, April 7th.

slimandslam
#53re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 3/31/08 at 11:11pm

Bumped to reflect the posting of results for games 1 and 2 of the quarterfinals:

Game 1: Side Show defeated Beauty and the Beast, 53-45.
Game 2: Miss Saigon defeated Parade, 52-47.

No new games are being posted tonight.

slimandslam
#54re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:16pm

Bumped to reflect the posting of results for games 3 and 4 of the quarterfinals:

Game 3: Ragtime defeated Kiss of the Spider Woman, 76-19.
Game 4: Falsettos defeated Passion, 38-35.

The Final Four is (are?) now set. Chronologically, they are:
Miss Saigon
Falsettos
Side Show
Ragtime

The two semifinal games will be posted tomorrow night (Wednesday, April 2nd).

And if you're wondering why March Madness extends into April... hey, I'm just following the NCAA's lead on this one.

(Edited to correct the date.) Updated On: 4/1/08 at 11:16 PM

slimandslam
#55re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/4/08 at 11:15pm

Bumped to reflect the posting of the results for the semifinals:

Game 1: Miss Saigon defeated Side Show, 53-34.
Game 2: Ragtime defeated Falsettos, 69-16.

The final game will be posted tomorrow night (Saturday, April 5th).

slimandslam
#56re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/7/08 at 11:06pm

Bumped to highlight the final result:

The people have spoken. As the winner of BWW March Madness 2008, I can confidently say that BWW habitués’ favorite Broadway musical of the nineties is…

Ragtime!

It was fairly convincing. In their six-matchup march to the championship, Ragtime not only won each game, but won each game with at least 64% of the vote. The score in the final-game win over Miss Saigon was 86-32.

I’d like to thank all of you who participated. I’m especially thankful to those of you who felt that the whole March Madness thing was overcrowding the boards and generally annoying... and who voted anyway. Thanks also to those who took the time to suggest improvements and provide encouragement.

It was a good deal of fun. Time permitting, let’s do it again next March. (But not before.)

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#57re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/7/08 at 11:42pm

Thanks a ton slimandslam!

You obviously worked very hard on this, and I for one am apprecative and grateful.

Good work!

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#58re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:18am

I second that!

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#59re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:30am

Thanks for doing this, slimandslam.

I thought it was great fun!

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#60re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/8/08 at 1:35am

It's ****ing over. Holler.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Baine Profile Photo
Baine
#61re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/9/08 at 5:45am

YAY to "Ragtime!" I'm so happy that such a deserving musical won. I really thought some of the shows with, uh, bigger fanbases were going to do it, so I was pleasantly surprised.

"Ragtime" is love.

Thank you again for all of your hard work and dedication. You made March fun! Ignore anyone who says otherwise. I'm looking forward to next year! ^_^
Updated On: 4/9/08 at 05:45 AM

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#62re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/9/08 at 9:10am

Thanks for doing this, slimandslam re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread

It was fun.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#63re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/9/08 at 12:32pm

"Remember, vote your heart!"

Even though you said that a month ago, I have that song in my head now.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#64re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/9/08 at 12:50pm

Thanks slimandslam and Yea for Ragtime!
It's funny I followed the 'Broadway March Madness' and not the 'other' March Madness, basketball I believe?

The other day I was wondering what now closed show from the 90s and 2000s would be the next to be revived. Ragtime just may be it.
Updated On: 4/9/08 at 12:50 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#65re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/9/08 at 12:55pm

I was only able to vote a few times based on what I saw in the 90's, but I agree, it was fun. When I couldn't vote, I still read the threads. I remember there being a negative thread about this and I will say that seeing all of the threads for this didn't bother me at all. Good job!

Just give the world Love.

chrysler99 Profile Photo
chrysler99
#66re: 'Broadway March Madness' results thread
Posted: 4/9/08 at 2:06pm

thanks slimandsam for running this. Broadway March Madness was more fun than most of the NCAAs this year. looking forward to next year's edition.