May I have your opinions?

threatXthree
#1May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 12:53am

Me and my close friend are going to New York for the first time during August. Being that August is a popular vacation month (summer school is over, fall session wont start until the last week of August for a few), we decided to get tickets to the shows we definitely wanted to see now. We left the matinees open to anything.

Being two newbies to NYC, do you think we would have any luck rushing/student tix for a couple shows? Or should we go ahead and buy the tickets now and leave chance to those who live over there?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 2:07am

Well, it depends on the show of course. Sell out shows should be bought in advance. Those that are almost guaranteed with rush/discounts you could wait and see, only if you don't care where your seats are.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 3/5/08 at 2:11am

Updated On: 5/7/09 at 02:11 AM

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#3re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 9:50am

I would buy your tickets in advance. Wow! Your first time to NYC! Have a wonderful trip!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

#4re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 10:15am

One word...broadwaybox.com!

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#5re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 10:18am

Just get your tickets in advance and then if you want to see another show, just go to TKTS, because student rush lines can be insane! I waited in the Legally Blonde student rush line for 2 hours and ended up not getting a ticket because someone was holding a place for their friend. You should be out enjoying the city, not waiting in a line.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

jeremykushnier1fan Profile Photo
jeremykushnier1fan
#6re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 10:21am

I agree with all the others who have posted. If it's a popular, sell-out show, definatly get your tickets now. If you are interested in other shows as well that may not be as popular you should try the lotteries or line up at everyones favorite TKTS :) Have a fricken' blast!

threatXthree
#7re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 1:05pm

Tickets we have now (figured two of these would sell out during the summer):

Spring Awakening (my choice)
Spamalot (Our choice)
The Little Mermaid (her choice)

Tickets we might want to rush/student tix:

Xanadu
Hairspray
Cry Baby

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#8re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 4:05pm

xanadu rush is very easy, i got there at 11 (when the box office opened that day) and was the first one. So for that i would just rush, i dont know about cry baby or hairspray lottos though

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

#9re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 4:09pm

Check the grosses on here and buy tickets for the shows that are doing best that you MUST see. Ive found that if you REALLY have to see a show you can almost always get some tickets for it- except for the hottest shows on Friday & Saturday- even if you wait. I get tickets ahead for the hot shows I HAVE to see then hit TKTS for whatever they have at the last minute. I wait till there is no line (Less than an hour before show time) and I'm not afraid to ask "Anything laying around that's not on the board?"

Keep in mind too that often lowest regular price tickets can be cheaper than TKTS. I don't have to always buy main floor full price tickets.

Tom1071 Profile Photo
Tom1071
#10re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/5/08 at 5:04pm

Don't be fooled into thinking that you have to buy advanced seats to get good ones. My very first time to come to NY was back in 1998. I bought all my tickets in advance, it was my Christmas break from school was told that it would be difficult to get tickets to stuff during that week. Well, I didn't realize that that wasn't completely true and I made the mistake of buying a full priced advanced seat from Miss Saigon on New Years Eve. I had loved the shows cast recording and it was a must see for me at that time. I was so disappointed to see that half the theatre was empty. I could have gotten my ticket at TKTS. It also turned out that I hated the show and I paid full price. I have never listened to the cast recording again after that.

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#11re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/8/08 at 1:55am

It's all depending on how early you're willing to get up and what days you would want to go see the shows, and obviously how badly you want to see the shows.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#12re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/8/08 at 1:59am

The only thing I buy tickets in advance for are Encores! shows (don't know why since they always end up on TKTS anyways) and a few shows that I just really really want to see and there is no way I'm taking chances with ticket availability (aka LOVEMUSIK last season, DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE this season). Of course if you know the show is going to sell out, definitely buy tickets in advance (WICKED, JERSEY BOYS, perhaps even SPRING AWAKENING).

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#13re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/8/08 at 2:05am

or do standing room

ie if you want to see little mermaid, try fri or saturday

threatXthree
#14re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 7:10pm

Update on our situation. Thanks for the info again!

Tickets we have:

Spring Awakening
Spamalot
The Little Mermaid (I'm pretty sure this will be a hit during the summer)
Gypsy

Tickets we want to get when we're there:

Hairspray and Xanadu?

Do you think the above is doable?

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#15re: May I have your opinions?
Posted: 3/13/08 at 10:18pm

"Legally Blonde" is a ton of fun!

Sorry, that was corny.

It's fun, even if it's not the best show. You'll have a good time. Plus, they're almost always at TKTS. When I got them there, the wait was only about 20 minutes.

Blaxx, I don't want to hear it.