News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Pippin Revival Dream Cast

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#1Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:51am

If there was to be a revival who would you want in it.

After seeing the Clip of Julia Murney as Fastrada I would want her to be my mommy and she has the pipes to do it
WHO else do you think? Also it would be interesting if they had a powerhouse female leading player

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#2re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:55am

Matt Morrison or Aaron Tveit as Pippin.
Boyd Gaines as King Charles.

Leading Player is tough.
I would want someone like Raul, but with a different voice.
Pre-Company Raul. Like, Taboo-style, but not as weird.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#2re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:01am

hahhahaha

but do you agree on Murney?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Jesus
#3re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 1:05am

The only person working right now who I'd like to see as the Leading Player is Billy Porter.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#4re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 3:25am

There was a revival that played Toronto a year ago and never made it to Broadway.

The show just doesn't doesn't work.

It has a fantastic score but it's an empty piece, and the NY critics would masacre it.

The best you could hope for would be a concert staging where the songs and performers could really shine.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Fat Actor Profile Photo
Fat Actor
#5re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 5:40am

Crucify me if you must, but...waht about Wayne Brady as the Leading Player.

"Who do ya gotta F#%k to get a break in this town?!!!"-Max, The Producers.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#6re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 7:19am

I know he's a genius but could he handle it?

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#7re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:27am

"The show just doesn't doesn't work."

Yeah, I guesss it didn't work for 1949 performances, 11 Tony nominations and five wins, not to mention making Ben Vereen a star. What a shame.

husk_charmer
#8re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:31am

Amoni-
If I am remembering my facts correctly, it was Fosse's staging that kept the show alive and running. So, sure it got 11 noms, and 5 wins...but that doesn't mean it works.

And, Ben Vereen was a "star" before PIPPIN. He was pretty well thrown into controversy when we was cast as the original Judas in JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR, and was nominated for a Tony in that.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#9re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 9:31am

Ya I mean I did it in high school and I don't think it is an empty show. So I don't know what your talking about. It would be a great star vehicle. Kate Shindle as leading Player

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#10re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 11:36am

Amoni,

The original production got mixed reviews and business was slow. The TV commercial, plus a low weekly nut kept it afloat long enough to catch on. But it was never a smash hit.

The Tony Awards it won were for Best Actor, Director, Choreographer, set and lighting. None of those seem to be a pat on the back for the writing of the show.

Have you seen the show? Honestly, it really is a mess. A shame because the score is really good.

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#11re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 11:56am

I want it to be in the Circle in the Square, with Bobby Steggert as Pippin, James T. Lane as The Leading Player, Emily Skinner as Fastrada, Norm Lewis as Charlamagne, Krysta Rodriguez as Catherine, Matthew Risch as Lewis, and Elaine Stritch as Berthe.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#12re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 12:27pm

"Have you seen the show? Honestly, it really is a mess. A shame because the score is really good."

Yes, I was lucky enough to see the original cast as a kid. I also have the DVD signed by Vereen and William Katt. I know the score and have talked with Stephen Schwartz about it. I don't see a mess. The show was before the British invasion, at a time when Broadway was but declared dead. The commercial, a brilliant idea, introduced the show to the public. The show ran for years because people liked it. Most people don't go and don't count steps and measure octaves. They go to enjoy the show and there are many things to enjoy in "Pippin". Doesn't mean their taste is any more important than anyone else's. Even the greatest of shows can have bad productions. As for Vereen, he was not a star before. He was a working actor. He left "Pippin" for a brief time to do "Funny Lady" with Streisand and after, got "Roots", both he might not have even been considered for without the acclaim and attention he received at The Imperial Theater.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#13re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:01pm

I was so think Stritch could be Berthe she would be wonderful

scaryclowns223 Profile Photo
scaryclowns223
#14re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/10/08 at 8:51pm

I would agree that the show has some major flaws, flaws that would prevent it from really succeeding on Broadway today.

I mean, the plot is really a mess.
Doesn't Pippin kill his Dad, and then usher him back to life?
Sure, that makes for one funny line ("Just don't let it happen again."), but it makes a mess of the plot.

It's a good show, but I don't see it going any farther than an Encores! mounting. (Which, now that I think of it, wouldn't be a terrible idea.)

threatXthree
#15re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/11/08 at 12:53am

This is a totally random question not even remotely related to the topic, but in y'alls opinion is the star of the show the Leading Player or can it be Pippin?

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#16re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/11/08 at 1:05am

I'd say it's almost equal importance in terms of stage time between Pippin and the Lead Player. But, the Lead Player has better material. Ethan Mordden wrote that, for the character of Pippin to hold your interest, you would have to cast a male Gwen Verdon in the part.

Speaking of Gwen Verdon, I was hoping that, when they put together the show "Fosse", they would have included "Time To Start Livin'" and that Gwen would have played Berthe. It would have been nice to have her on Broadway again. She would have won her fifth or sixth Tony Award and, when she left, they could have brought Gretchen Wyler back to Broadway to replace her.

Elaine would be marvelous as Berthe, but I would ADORE to see Kaye Ballard play it.

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

delucad15 Profile Photo
delucad15
#17re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/12/08 at 3:49pm

Id like to see Roger Bart as The leading Player

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#18re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/12/08 at 5:02pm

"Id like to see Roger Bart as The leading Player"

lol.... wait u aren't serious are you....

Flaunt It
#19re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/12/08 at 8:17pm

Think outside the box!

Stephanie Pope or Valarie Pettiford as the Leading Player

And Sara Ramirez needs to be Fastrada!

musicalmaster703 Profile Photo
musicalmaster703
#20re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/12/08 at 8:28pm

"Sara Ramirez"

Wow, good choice.

delucad15 Profile Photo
delucad15
#21re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/12/08 at 9:08pm

haha hey im just saying!

#22re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/12/08 at 11:43pm

I don't know, I may be biased, but I'm a big Michael Arden fan, and he already knows the role..

snl89
#23re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/13/08 at 5:30pm

I don't know, I may be biased, but I'm a big Michael Arden fan, and he already knows the role..

I don't even know Pippin that well, but anything that will get Michael Arden back on Broadway is good with me :P

no seriously though, I've heard that he was really really amazing in the concert thing or whatever that they did, and I totally believe it

EDIT: NICE! just found this
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uhGAOp0y93w&feature=related
and yup, I am sold. big time re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast

Arden!Pippin FTW

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.
Updated On: 3/13/08 at 05:30 PM

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#24re: Pippin Revival Dream Cast
Posted: 3/13/08 at 5:37pm

Cloris Leachmam for Berthe!

Videos