Cry-Baby Preview

Rentfan931
#50re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 3:07pm

"I saw Dracula, Pirate Queen, Lestat, & High Fidelity and this is far better than any of those could ever hope to be."

Oh yea, you caught some of the big winners.

mels3192 Profile Photo
mels3192
#51re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 3:18pm

glad im making a few friends on here lol

oh and also..SueleenGay, i don't have "inside info" about next to normal, i was at an audition with a cast member who told me that. it't not a secret. i asked, they answered. Updated On: 3/18/08 at 03:18 PM

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#52re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 8:50pm

re: Cry-Baby Preview

If you didn't want someone to care about your opinion, you wouldn't put it out there.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

phantomo88 Profile Photo
phantomo88
#53re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:00pm

"I was just turned on to these message boards about two months ago and this is the first new musical I have seen since, so I thought I would post a review. "

"Let's me start by saying though, I have seen every musical for the past 3 seasons and this is probally the most fun I have had in that time. "

You insult my intelligence.

Yankeefan007
#54re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:10pm

And that's tough.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#55re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:30pm

Phantom88, that was very astute of you. I didn't even catch that when I read it!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#56re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 9:42pm

They need to hire me as their PR... I promise I wont make that mistake! re: Cry-Baby Preview

J*

mels3192 Profile Photo
mels3192
#57re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:30pm

^ even I have to admit that is pretty hilarious
Updated On: 3/18/08 at 10:30 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#58re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 10:38pm

I hope he doesn't lose his internship over that blunder!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#59re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:07pm

"I saw Dracula, Pirate Queen, Lestat, & High Fidelity and this is far better than any of those could ever hope to be."

Oh yea, you caught some of the big winners.

I think the point being made was that there are a few people on here saying this is the worst musical they have ever seen. Not liking a show is one thing. Saying it's the worst musical ever is a very big statement. Just like someone who liked the show should back it up, I think someone who makes a statement that strong should back it up with specific points. How is this worse than Good Vibrations, for example?

I laughed a lot at this show and I agree that the show needs work. The closing scene in Act II is a mess. I also agree that some of the actors need to take things to the next level before it opens. What I don't see with this show is a creative team with contempt for their audience the same way some of the shows on my "worst list" did. So, could someone who made that claim tell me specifically how it's worse that your other most hated shows?

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

Not Barker, Todd. Profile Photo
Not Barker, Todd.
#60re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:29pm

"Is it a masterpiece of the american musical theatre?.....NO. Does every show have to be though?"

When someone uses this phrase, I have to fight to take them seriously.

YOU ROCK PHANTOM! HAHAHA!

PLEASE! Do not post anything negative or dramatic! DidYouReallyHearMe has LOST the ability to ignore such posts and he will comment! Please, help him.

With Clay Aiken in Spamalot, all of Broadway is singing a collective "There! Right! There!" -Me-

"Not Barker, Todd is the only person I've ever known who could imitate Katherine Hepburn...in print." -nmartin-

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#61re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:42pm

^Thank you!

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

bwayguy22089
#62re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:49pm

You guys are all too weird. Why not just go and see the show and form your own opinions? If it looks interesting/you enjoyed the movie/you enjoy hairspray and/or grease...you should go and see it. Thats the great thing about Broadway. What one person hates, someone else could fall in love with. re: Cry-Baby Preview

cabcaresman
#63re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/18/08 at 11:50pm

I was thrilled to see a show where it is just a fun night out. I loved the show,the sets the costumes.

It is nothing but fun fun fun to me.

I would go again

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#64re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 12:44am

Cry-Baby preview.

1. a cute show
2. how far can a show go on "cute"?
3. nice set and costumes
4. not one song is at all memorable
5. Thank God for the underused Harriet Harris who gives this show some true wit and weight. The best song goes to her. It is brand new and only sung with piano so far.
6. some great male dancing hunks who flash some buns at some point in Act 1
7. there is not one truly innovative moment in the music, perfs, or choreography. You have seen it all before.

The bottom line is that the show is fun but how far can you go on fun for $100 a ticket once the show opens? The gay crowd will drool over the male dancers and the camp value of the show but. . . is that enough?

The crowd had a lot of young people who ate it up; if you are over 30 and straight you might be checking your watch.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

massofmen
#65re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 10:42am

brians you are beginning to annoy me.
I understood your first post on this subject, even though I don't believe that there should be a moral censor on this board. If people wanna say that something stinks and the people in that show stink and the pets those people own stink and their mothers stink, I don't have a problem with that. You do apparently. Which is fine. Free Speech and all.
My annoyance is with you getting up on your self-rightous soap box and telling people to be nice, and all this while you tell us (twice now) how bad Good Vibrations was.

"But this creative team and cast are not insulting the audience a la "Good Vibrations" by shoehorning a ridiculous plot into a Broadway show. These are talented people trying to make a truly funny show (which is much harder than making another sad/romantic show). " Your Words.

"How is this worse than Good Vibrations, for example? " Your Words.

Were there not actors trying to "create" something in Good Vibes? Were there not people putting their heart and souls into that show to make it the best they could think of? I knew, know, many actors in that show who did the best they could with what they were given. Why can't I like good vibrations? Because you tell me that its bad? Didn't Mamma Mia do the same thing as Good Vibes by..oh what did you say..."shoehorning a ridiculous plot.." but you don't pick on that show?
So why are you allowed to tell us to be nice to shows trying to just "create something" (your words) but then in the same instance you can tell us how bad Good Vibrations is and how its the worst show ever?
I think its because you know people in cry-baby so you have a personal attachment to it. Just my assumation and maybe that you didn't know or didn't like someone in good vibes, or didn't get in it when you auditioned.
Even your quote on your board is false in regards to statemetns you make about Good Vibes:

"Working to get the haters on this board to smile since '07."

Are the people who were in Good Vibes smiling now because of you "hating" their show? Probably not.
So either its not okay to judge and be mean to shows and say they are awful (or hating on shows), or it isn't. You cannot pick and choose which shows you can bash just because your dear friend did the arrangements.

bbernardini
#66re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 10:49am

"You guys are all too weird. Why not just go and see the show and form your own opinions? If it looks interesting/you enjoyed the movie/you enjoy hairspray and/or grease...you should go and see it. Thats the great thing about Broadway. What one person hates, someone else could fall in love with."

Yes, but some people aren't happy unless they're lording their imagined superiority over somebody.

Humbert
#67re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 10:57am

I have heard some really mixed things, but to each his own, right?
Sounds like it COULD BE fun. I may go see something like this in the next few days. I love comedies. Embarrassingly enough, I actually never saw Hairspray - I know. But I've seen most other shows, if they've been open for a bit. Anyhow, thanks for the heads up.

What a great movie though, huh?

Crybaby has cheap tix I heard, right?

Peter
#68re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:01am

IMO, its far more ridiculous to proclaim a show a DISATER after a couple bad posts of its FIRST preview than to out a shill...

For what its worth, a couple of my friends also saw the first preview and loved it. I saw the show in La Jolla and although I didnt think it was perfect, thought it had enough going for it that it was worth seeing. I found it quite clever and witty at times..the lyrics did win an award in San Diego..along with two others I believe. Its funny enough, and the choregraphy is worth the price of admission alone. It's hardly the disaster that some would like you to believe.

And no..Im not a shill..

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#69re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:41am

I saw it last night and it is a terrible show. The book is bad, the score is unlistenable and completely forgettable, and the lyrics completely innane. Good choreography, good dancers, but lead performances leave something to be desired. I thought the show was a big mess from start to finish and couldn't wait for it to be over. What saddens me, however, is that how low the standards have gotten ... the audience went wild over this incredibly mediocre show. It obviously doesn't take much to get an audience screaming and on their feet.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#70re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:44am

Was Carly Jibson back in the show?

WestVillage Profile Photo
WestVillage
#71re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 11:45am

No, Carly is still out ... and better off for her .... this show has turkey written all over it.

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#72re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 1:29pm

mass,

I'm sorry I annoyed you. I've said the same thing twice because no one was willing to step up. I have no problem with hating a show. You don't have to be nice. But I have yet to read in 9 threads on Cry-Baby WHY they thing it is the worst show they've ever seen. It's easy to say something is completely awful. It's a little harder to give a lucid explanation as to why. I feel like people like writing "Worst. Show. Ever." more for the dramatic effect to get their BFF on the thread to write "OMG, right!" than because they really feel that this is the worst show they have seen on Broadway. And so far, their actions back up my statement.

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

#73re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 1:34pm

i didnt say it was the "worst show ever" & i even pointed out some things i liked.

i dont want to see anyone get hurt or fail.

massofmen
#74re: Cry-Baby Preview
Posted: 3/19/08 at 3:27pm

brian,
that makes complete sense. I agree that when people destroy a show with no coherent thought process supporting it is kinda silly and inane.
thanks for replying in a civilized manner. Makes discourse so much more fun.
-Mass