GYPSY Reviews

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#100re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:24pm

And again, I'm jumping in before reading the dates. Sorry.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE
Updated On: 3/27/08 at 10:24 PM

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#101re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:25pm

How is Brantley's review mixed to positive? There's nothing remotely mixed about his review.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#102re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:26pm

That was my bad, sorry. It is obviously a rave - I was reading a review from one of the concerts.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#103re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:26pm

That's what is called a Valentine, Brantley rarely gives one of these unless your name is Kristin Chenoweth.
Congrats to LuPone. But also congrats to Laura Benanti, Leigh Ann Larkin, and Boyd Gaines, recipients of love letters signed by Brantley as well.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#104re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:27pm

YAY!!

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#105re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:28pm

nvm

yay patti Updated On: 3/27/08 at 10:28 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#106re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:28pm

Here is the good one:

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/13303

In a performance that'll have musical comedy fanatics buzzing for months, LuPone executes a show-biz finish to end all finishes. And -- get this! -- it's even been heightened by the 89-year-old Laurents, now the show's director, since it was presented as part of City Center Encores! Summer Stars series last year. If this brilliantly jarring fade-out doesn't cop LuPone her second Tony Award, we can assume there's truly little justice left in the world.

Rave.

Updated On: 3/27/08 at 10:28 PM

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#107re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:29pm

But I was so caught up in the emotional wrestling matches between the characters (and within themselves), that I didn’t really think about the songs as songs.

That should put an end to the canard that Patti is just making big sounds.

We are witnessing the greatest Rose of our lives.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#108re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:30pm

Patti LuPone might just have a chance for that Tony after all.

Laura Benanti has it. She just does.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#109re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:30pm

and yes PJ... I hope those Patti-haters here will finally keep f****mouth shut!

Soo glad... I saw Miss Pattty's glorious performance last Saturday!! re: GYPSY Reviews

Congrats again to the cast!!!

J*

Updated On: 3/27/08 at 10:30 PM

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#110re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:31pm

re: GYPSY Reviews re: GYPSY Reviews re: GYPSY Reviews re: GYPSY Reviews

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#111re: GYPSY Reviews

Gypsaters!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#112re: GYPSY Reviews

If this brilliantly jarring fade-out doesn't cop LuPone her second Tony Award, we can assume there's truly little justice left in the world.

WOW!

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#113re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:32pm

nope.. theyre called SH*T-stirrers!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#114re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:33pm

Patti LuP-haters?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#115re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:35pm

LOVE this quote from TheatreMania.

LuPone hits no false notes as the now -sympathetic, now-monstrous Rose. LuPone hits no false melodic notes either. There was a time when the plush-sounding songbird caressed vowels as if they were silk sheets but treated consonants in the off-handed manner that Rose treats Louise, but no more. Furthermore, whereas at City Center, she sometimes delivered numbers as if she were on a nightclub floor, she now gives herself over entirely to Rose's monomania.

I agree.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#116re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:37pm

Could we have a trio of acting winners?
Lupone, Benanti and Gaines?

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#117re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:37pm

Congratulations to Patti, Laura, and all others involved! I'm so happy about these reviews! I can not wait to see this next month!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#118re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:38pm

I think all 3 could and should win. They are all getting raves.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#119re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:40pm

though I still think that the BEST REVIVAL will go to Sunday in the Park and Lead Actress to Patti LuPone & Featured to Laura Benanti.. They probably would split it meaning SITPwG getting the REVIVAL while the two actress for GYPSY getting the acting awards.

J*

BroadwayEnthusiast2 Profile Photo
BroadwayEnthusiast2
#120re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:41pm

I am so happy for everyone involved in this production.

"I mean, sitting side by side with another man watching Patti LuPone play Rose in GYPSY on Broadway is essentially the equivalent of having hardcore sex." -Wanna Be A Foster. "Say 'Goody.' Say 'Bubbi.'" ... "That's it. Exactly as if it were 'Goody.' Now I know you're gonna sing 'Goody' this time, but nevertheless..."

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#121re: GYPSY Reviews

I think at least Benanti and LuPone will win. Boyd Gaines is a Tony-darling so it wouldn't surprise me if he won too.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

courtnyj Profile Photo
courtnyj
#122re: GYPSY Reviews

Bring on the Tonys!

"Boyd Gaines is a Tony-darling so it wouldn't surprise me if he won too."

I'd love to see him win!

Is it wrong that I find Boyd Gaines very attractive...dare I say it...sexy?

Updated On: 3/27/08 at 10:41 PM

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#123re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:42pm

I am rooting for all three as well! But as Jaystarr pointed out I think it would be only fair if Sunday won best revival.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#124re: GYPSY Reviews
Posted: 3/27/08 at 10:42pm

CurtainUp (for whatever it's worth):

Following in the footsteps of numerous stars, LuPone has put her own amazingly unique footprint on the role. She's made the volcanic second act aria, "Rose's Turn," an unforgettable "Patti's Turn." And Laurents has managed to find new depths in his own brilliant book, so that for all of the tuneful hit-upon-hit Styne score and inspired, character defining Sondheim lyrics, this is as much a play with integral music as a musical with a strong story line.

Thanks to the enduring brilliance of the book, music and lyrics, the excellence of the cast headed by the galvanic LuPone, Arthur Laurents' nuanced direction and the on the mark stagecraft. . . everything at the St. James is indeed coming up roses. With all this talent no gimmick is needed and awards galore are a sure thing.

http://www.curtainup.com/gypsyencores.html