How Many Tony noms for Young F?

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#1How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:03am

Surely best supporting actress and actor? Best Musical still possible?

Any others looking likely?

Yankeefan007
#2re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:07am

Best Musical? Not a snowball's chance in hell.

Best Featured Actor (Chris Fitzgerald)
Best Featured Actress (Megan Mullally and Andrea Martin)
Best Set Design
Best Orchestrations

Sleeper2 Profile Photo
Sleeper2
#2re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:16am

I'm going for two: Featured Actress and Set (maybe).

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#3re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:24am

Don't be so sure about Featured Actress. Alongside LITTLE MERMAID, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN was the most panned show of the season, and Mel Brooks is currently not well-liked in the Broadway community.

For Featured Actress, this is a busy season. There's Olga Merediz, Karen Olivo, Laura Benanti, Leigh Ann Larkin, Loretta Ables Sayre, Mary Beth Peil, Mary Testa, Jackie Hoffman, Sherie Rene Scott, and Leslie Kritzer, all of whom -- with the possible exception of Scott -- would probably get a nomination over anyone in YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, and there are only five slots in the category.

I think the whole show may get snubbed. Other entire productions are worthy of any nomination slots over YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

Last season, THE PIRATE QUEEN had beautiful costume design, but the Nominating Committee snubbed the entire production because they didn't think it was worthwhile. That may be the case with YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN (and LITTLE MERMAID, and CRY-BABY) this season.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 4/1/08 at 08:24 AM

Yankeefan007
#4re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:25am

Laura Benanti
Leslie Kritzr
Olga Meridez
Megan Mullally
Sherie Rene Scott

NDR
#5re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:27am

YF - Tony's????

This is an April fool's joke right?

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#6re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:28am

I'm thinking set and maybe Andrea, but It could get zilch.

Wanna Be A Foster
#7re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:33am

I think Sherie Rene Scott's performance in LITTLE MERMAID is going to go down as the worst performance by a theatre veteran on Broadway this season. She is just awful.

This season is just too filled with breathtaking performances by Featured Actresses in musicals to throw away a nomination on her throwaway performance in MERMAID.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

HBBrock
#8re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:50am

I bet a lot of you haven't even seen YF before talking crap about it on every single YF thread. If you are one of those people...you should be ashamed.

If YF, doesn't get atleast Featured Actor and Set nominations, I would be SHOCKED.
Updated On: 4/1/08 at 08:50 AM

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#9re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 8:56am

Best Set Design for sure.
MAYBE featured actor/actress (but a very strong year), that's it.
Updated On: 4/1/08 at 08:56 AM

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#10re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 9:23am

Maybe sets and orchestrations. That's about it. But I wouldn't be surprised if the whole production got snubbed like Pirate Queen last year. Like Wanna Be A Foster said, there are just too many outstanding productions and performances this year to include the mediocre Young Frankenstein and Little Mermaid.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Wanna Be A Foster
#11re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 9:34am

No way it will get Orchestrations. There are four nomination slots, and it is easily going to go to SUNDAY, SOUTH PACIFIC, IN THE HEIGHTS, and PASSING STRANGE.

Featured Actor is a busy category this season as well. There's Harvey Fierstein, Matt Cavenaugh, Robin De Jesus, Christopher Jackson, Matthew Morrison, Danny Burstein, Boyd Gaines, Daniel Breaker, and Tony Roberts, on top of Christopher Fitzgerald, and only five slots.

The Nominating Committee certainly wouldn't have any trouble filling the nomination slots while ignoring YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN.

And yes, HBBrock, I saw YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN and mostly enjoyed it. But this isn't about my opinion or your opinion. It's about how the show was received by the industry, and the way the 24 people on the Nominating Committee are going to feel about giving it any sort of recognition over more worthy productions and performances this season.

-Kad

MelissaF
#12re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:06am

I'm sure I wont be populor for saying this...but I enjoyed YF...Mullaly was out this weekend, and Heather Ayers stepped into the role...I thought she was fantastic....

2012: American Idiot 01/14, In The Heights 02/11, Warhorse 02/18, The Book of Mormon 02/23, The Gershwins Porgy and Bess 02/24, Anything Goes 02/25, Godspell 02/26, Shrek 03/31, Ghost (West End)04/11, Singing In The Rain (West End) 04/12, Matilda (West End) 04/13, Leap of Faith 05/02, Evita 05/03, Jesus Christ Superstar 05/04, Newsies 05/05, The Book Of Mormon 05/06, West Side Story 06/02, Beauty and the Beast 07/07, Million Dollar Quartet 07/28, La Cage 10/13, 10/27 Sister Act, 31/10 Once, 11/01 Rock of Ages, 11/02 Spiderman, 11/03 Newsies, 11/15 Jekyll & Hyde

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#13re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:14am

Best Set design... and that's about it. And that's coming from someone who really enjoyed the show.

HBBrock
#14re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:15am

WBaF, do Tony voters make the decisions for themselves, or do they read the reviews and go into the show with a bad taste in their mouth already? Honest question because I'm not sure.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#15re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:15am

I have to agree with foster, the orchestrations were big, but completely cliche. There wasn't any originality whatsoever in them.
(For the record I love them personally, but critics and voters tend to be more discerning).

I do think Mulally is a shoe in and Martin could sneak in as well.
Sherie Rene, bless here heart, will be sitting this one out.

Christopher Fitzgerald will score one, and the sets and lighting too. (IMO).

I actually do think it will get a Best Musical given the weak season.

....but the world goes 'round

Wanna Be A Foster
#16re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:37am

HBBrock, there's a difference between the Tony voters and the Nominating Committee.

There are 750 Tony voters across the U.S.

They can't vote for a show unless it's been given the all clear by the Nominating Committee, a group of 24 New York theatre snobs, very close to the opinions and goings on of the industry.

-Kad

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#17re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:38am

We're talking about nominations here, not wins.

I believe it will get a lot of nominations. I believe it will get at least 8. But as far as wins go? Maybe a few here or there. Young Frankenstein isn't the best show of the season, but it definitely isn't the worst. Susan Stroman knows how to put on a helluva produciton number.

I bet its nominated for:
Best Musical
Best Leading Actor (Roger Bart)
Best Featured Actress (Andrea Martin)
Best Featured Actor (Christopher Fitzgerald)
Best Book of a Musical
Best Scenic Design
Best Lighting
Best Choreography

I can't see it winning too many of those. It wasn't as bad as The Pirate Queen. Audiences still enjoy it. It's no Producers, but its still good, has a stellar cast with solid and impressive performances and a killer set. You can't argue with that.

We'll see what happens next month when the nominations come out.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#18re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:46am

"I think Sherie Rene Scott's performance in LITTLE MERMAID is going to go down as the worst performance by a theatre veteran on Broadway this season. She is just awful."

Foster, I am shocked and disappointed that you could call Sherie's performance awful. She had a new fresh take on Ursula and it was far from awful. Are you just saying this because the critics did not enjoy her? I know you enjoyed the show, but are you trying to give the members of BroadwayWorld the impression that you didn't enjoy it? Just say what you truly feel...not what you want others to hear. Thank you.

Wanna Be A Foster
#19re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:49am

I enjoyed MERMAID for the most part. I think Sherie's performance was the worst part about it.

The critics hated MERMAID. It won't get nominations because the critics hated it. Sherie won't get a nomination because she gave an uneven, overblown performance and because the critics hated her and the show.

-Kad

MelissaF
#20re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 10:51am

I find some individuals on here tend to be harsh, and forceful in their opinion. I enjoyed The Litte Mermaid and SRS's performance. I also enjoyed YF, and tend to want to see and form my own opinion, not just read posts and reviews. To each his own.

2012: American Idiot 01/14, In The Heights 02/11, Warhorse 02/18, The Book of Mormon 02/23, The Gershwins Porgy and Bess 02/24, Anything Goes 02/25, Godspell 02/26, Shrek 03/31, Ghost (West End)04/11, Singing In The Rain (West End) 04/12, Matilda (West End) 04/13, Leap of Faith 05/02, Evita 05/03, Jesus Christ Superstar 05/04, Newsies 05/05, The Book Of Mormon 05/06, West Side Story 06/02, Beauty and the Beast 07/07, Million Dollar Quartet 07/28, La Cage 10/13, 10/27 Sister Act, 31/10 Once, 11/01 Rock of Ages, 11/02 Spiderman, 11/03 Newsies, 11/15 Jekyll & Hyde

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#21re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:12am

Re-watching the show, it occurred to me that Andrea Martin gave a very endearing old-school performance. Chris Fitgerald is also very charming in his role. Surely there must be some goodwill behind Roger Bart, too?

So how are the Best Musical noms lining up then: A Catered Affair, In the Heights, Passing Strange(?)- surely there will be at least one old-style musical comedy in the mix?

MelissaF
#22re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:13am

I thought Andrea and Chris stole the show, and I stage doored afterwards and Chris was a complete doll...

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#23re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:18am

I don't remember all of the critics hating Sherie, I remember people calling her "overqualified" for the role, which is a compliment to her.

HBBrock
#24re: How Many Tony noms for Young F?
Posted: 4/1/08 at 11:32am

WBaF, critics definitely did NOT hate SRS. They thought the show was only ok, and SRS was the best part about the show. Where did you get that they hated her performance?