pixeltracker

Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question

Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question

Myfavmeatpie Profile Photo
Myfavmeatpie
#1Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/24/08 at 8:32pm

There was a post the other day on All That Chat about the Original London Cast of Gypsy. And someone claimed there was a different recording of "Some People" where Angela takes the note up at the end. Now I have both the CD and the record and she does not take the note up at the end on either. Now being a fan of high belted notes by salty old broads I am curious if anyone can shed some light on this. My curiosity is in your hands people. Don't leave me hanging....and yes I checked the other board it is too old and no longer there.

antiandrewx Profile Photo
antiandrewx
#2re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/24/08 at 8:35pm

On the Youtube clip of her 'Some People', she does take the note up at the end.

Myfavmeatpie
#2re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/24/08 at 8:42pm

Thanks, I know. I love that clip. There is a site where you can turn FLV files into audio files. So I have that.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#3re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/24/08 at 9:45pm

Hmm.. interesting, a recording of that would be fantastic, I too love that video clip. Ms. Lansbury never ceases to amaze!

I especially love her dance break in "together wherever we go!"
Updated On: 4/24/08 at 09:45 PM

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#4re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/24/08 at 11:49pm

Salty old broads. Hahaha

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#5re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 12:06am

My only problem with the Lansbury cast recording of GYPSY is that most of the cast has trouble with American accents, especially the Tulsa.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

Urban
#6re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 6:04am

Other then Landsbury herself, I find the rest of that Cast Recording to be pretty lack-luster myself.

#7re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 6:29am

oh i love that Zan Charisse!
until Benanti, she was the best!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#8re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 7:04am

I rather like the cockney newsboys. The English are allowed to have trouble with the American accents (check out the original London BYE BYE BIRDIE) after all Americans aren't terribly good at British accents.

Back to topic, there were two releases of the Lansbury GYPSY album, one for London and another for the NY season. Many years ago a friend had both and played them for me. I have a vague idea that the higher note at the end was the first release (London) but for some reason that pressing was replaced by the one we all know.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#9re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 7:53am

I saw the London production of GYPSY in 1973, but don't remember any specifics, just the fact that I loved it all over again, having seen Merman in 1959-1961. When I saw Angela Lansbury in GYPSY in NYC, I felt that she exaggerated the part somewhat, as if American audiences needed that extra push, especially in "Rose's Turn". I am going to see Patti LuPone next week and can't wait to see her "Rose's Turn". I hope Bernanti will be in it, or is she still suffering from walking pneumonia?

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"
Updated On: 4/25/08 at 07:53 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#10re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 8:05am

Benanti is back. She's a terrific Louise.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

philcrosby
#11re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 8:47am

To answer the original poster's question, there WERE actually two versions of Lansbury's recording of GYPSY.

She was vocally strained (she thought) when she made the original London recording -- when it was released in the States to coincide with the pre-Broadway national tour, she went back and re-recorded several numbers.

The biggest differences can be heard on SOME PEOPLE and SMALL WORLD, if I remember correctly ... it's been years since I have heard the original OLC.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#12re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 1:53pm

I saw the Lanbury Rose in London in May of 73, and was blown away. The role was freshly minted (and to those who think she was too old -- she was younger than LuPone and Peters, I bellieve). Yes, she's an elegant woman, and performer, and she just used her elegance as part of Rose's MO. At key moments, we could see a less classy interior peep through. By the end of act one, you could see her red-faced rage. Maybe BECAUSE Lansbury is normally so genteel, her scenes of desperation were that much more startling. I thought she was scary. One other thing -- people claim that Lansbury conquored the role only via the "acting". I think her handling of the score is stunning. In traditional terms, her voice is prettier than any other Rose besides Peters'. But it also has a push to it, an energy in the phrasing, that makes is harrowing when it needs to be. I think her "Some People" is just the most 'listenable' of them all. I still think her Rose's turn was the most heartbreaking of them all.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Myfavmeatpie
#13re: Angela Lansbury in GYPSY question
Posted: 4/25/08 at 2:27pm

Thanks you all so much! I actually had to pull out my Theater Mania Cast Album Guide Book last night and of course, the author explains that she rerecorded several numbers. So I suppose now my question is, how does one distinguish which cast album is which. I must have this Original original London Cast recording.

Also I thought I would throw in my two cents on the various Gypsy's. I love every rose we have on disc, so far, for one reason or another. Merman is just perfection, and I think her recording is a gem, her Rose's Turn is my favorite. I love Angela period. But in the recording she has a grit and determination that just thrill me. Even Ros Russell and Bette I think bring something to the table that is worth being heard. Tyne Daley(sp) was no vocalist but I still treasure the album. And Bernadette (why was it so popular to hate her as Rose??? I thought we loved Bernadette) was just beyond compare. I loved her. So rather than argue about which is best, who did what better. I will just be glad that we have so many different interpretations of this classic score to choose from, and will wait with baited breathe for the LuPone recording!

Videos