pixeltracker

Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)- Page 4

Wicked Tonight Jan 8th Major Flub :)

FindingNamo
#75re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/10/04 at 10:57am

Not to mention calling people who raise these issues "uptight." I thought I was having a '60s flashback, man. Great posts Auggie and Iflit. Bravo/a.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#76re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/10/04 at 11:27am

ladyjane ive seen the show with 3 different fyeiros (norbert,kris and taye) and i think Kris was the best.

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#77re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/10/04 at 11:57am

DefyingGravity2 "Deep breath, exhale...Um, my dear discerning theater goer, it's called "character growth" as in Fiyero having the low brow philosophy of "Dancing Through Life" when he first appears. Not to give any spoilers, but just let me ask you if at the end of "Wicked" Fiyero is still living by that philosophy? There is a reason that song is in the show and there is a reason for the very choreography that accompanies it. Geez."

A reason for the choreography? OZ-DUST BALLROOM hence Ballroom dancing. The choreography so much reminded me of West Side Story's big dance number. If Cilento did his research on simple ballroom dancing and added some twists in there (i.e. Twirling every 5 seconds) since it's Oz and all, it would have been a) decent and b) in period and c) a better representation of what Shiz students are like. It's not Norbert's fault Fiyero was cheesy. He just acted out lines. The fault lies in Winnie and Stephen. His "character growth" is terrible! What "character growth"? Winnie just gives us one incident that shows the BEGINNING of some character growth possibility but other than that, what? He barely talked to Elphaba as it is in the entire show. Maybe they should have cut out some non-essential songs lie "One Short Day" and "What is this Feeling" and replaced them with more book.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

bestofbroadway
#78re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/10/04 at 5:07pm

"The choreography so much reminded me of West Side Story's big dance number."

What West Side Story did you see?

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#79re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/10/04 at 6:04pm

so clearly i'm late seeing this thread... but i'd expect them to take it much more professionally than that.

either way though, I can't help but laugh. It IS funny.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#80re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/10/04 at 6:48pm

I don't think it sounds very funny at all. I'm not a stiff person but it doesnt sound very funny. I would've been upset that they were breaking character and ruining the moment.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#81re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/10/04 at 11:51pm

I think she shouldn't get to wear the ruby slippers anymore because of this.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

FindingNamo
#82re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/10/04 at 11:56pm

The what?

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#83re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 12:14am

Speaking of ruby, has anyone been to Ruby Foo's? I wasn't crazy about it. Where is the lovely Corine2 when you need her?

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher
Updated On: 1/11/04 at 12:14 AM

BroadwayNYC
#84re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 12:22am

I agree. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment but self composure is the key and you can't let that go. I'm sure all they tried to do is make people laugh, and we all want to make people laugh, but there are times where you just can't let the moment go...for the sake of your audience, of course.

"Everything's coming up roses, this time for me!"

Peter
#85re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 12:55am

Ordinarily if there's one flub in a show, I'm not bothered. But Kristin's behavior last night is just added proof to me of how overrated she really is. In my opinion, shes nowhere near the second coming some critics may lead you to believe.

I saw the show for the second time on Wednesday night, and although there wasn't the huge flubs of last night, Kristin really doesn't miss an opportunity to ham it up. The scene where she sings "Popular" was way over the top that night..in fact, I expected her to break out laughing at any moment. Add to that her new tactic of injecting high notes into any song she possibly can and I left with renewed appreciation for Menzel, who created a complete touching character without the easy laughs, or showoffy antics.

lyndyjane Profile Photo
lyndyjane
#86re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re:
Posted: 1/11/04 at 12:56am

Updated On: 1/11/04 at 12:56 AM

actorboy
#87re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 8:03am

lyndyjane, his older brother is a good friend and yet you'd go on a public forum and tell people Norbert's "true" feelings about some of his material in the show? Do you think Norbert and his brother would think this is appropriate?

Some friend you are! Hope posting this "inside" information made you feel important.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#88re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 11:08am

We have all learned the hard way that many people "higher up" in show biz and involved in certain productions DO READ these boards and how would Norbert feel to get balled out for what was on a little board... and then him going back to his brother telling him what happened... his brother then knows who said it.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#89re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 11:10am

BINGO! I should have had a V-8!

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#90re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 11:12am

Yep. An unfortunate post.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10
Updated On: 1/11/04 at 11:12 AM

FindingNamo
#91re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 11:22am

It could actually not be true. Or like a giant game of telephone. I know this guy who knows this guy whose sister's cousin was the lover of a MAJOR Broadway star who has drug issues. I'm not naming names, but rest assured it's all true.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#92re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 11:37am

yeah... there's some stuff that's for public knowledge and some that's definitely not. If Norbert wanted that known, it would be. These people may be stars that we admire and whatnot, but they're people too, and it's not right to be sharing what they said in personal conversations.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

FindingNamo
#93re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 12:01pm

IF they said those things. Or even if they didn't, I guess.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#94re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 12:03pm

As soon as I find that house I misplaced, I'm going to drop it on this thread!
broadwayguy2- Is that a house in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

broadwayguy2
newyorkuniq Profile Photo
newyorkuniq
#96re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: Wicked
Posted: 1/11/04 at 12:19pm

I think all of us have either worked with some "name people" or at least have friends in theatre. It's not really cool to post private or "inside" info on a public forum.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#97Lindy the Accidental Mole
Posted: 1/11/04 at 12:52pm

I think Lindy Jane may have posted her report innocuously, but it points up that there's always fire to be played with here.

We speculate freely about motives for taking roles/leaving shows. Our opinions have no weight. But actors work not just for the thrill and glory, but to support themselves. People take jobs that aren't dream roles or in ideal circumstances because careers moves have paychecks attached. Health insurance, housing costs, you name it, often determine decisions. Insider knowledge of disappointments and regrets makes good posting -- but reporting such info stands to jeopardize livelihood. We could all see this as a cautionary tale.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/11/04 at 12:52 PM

BillFinn Profile Photo
BillFinn
#98re: Lindy the Accidental Mole
Posted: 1/11/04 at 1:09pm

I can't believe you guys are crucifying poor LyndyJane for just letting us know Norbert isn't happy with Fiyero's character development as well as his fans. If Norbert didn't want his feelings known about the subject, he wouldn't have said anything in the first place.

Bill Finn rocks. Woot.

iflitifloat Profile Photo
iflitifloat
#99re: re: Lindy the Accidental Mole
Posted: 1/11/04 at 1:24pm

According to her post, he said it to HIS BROTHER, not during an interview. However, I don't think for a second that the Lyndyjane meant to cause any problems for Norbert, or even that she was, as someone suggested, trying to feel important by knowing inside information. I believe she felt she was defending him and lost sight of the fact that this is an anonymous forum, not a group of close friends or acquaintances. I've been guilty of this and I'd imagine a lot of us have, at one time or another. I agree with Auggie. It's a good lesson we should all keep in mind...to think about the 'big picture' when posting.

Sueleen Gay: "Here you go, Bitch, now go make some fukcing lemonade." 10/28/10