GLORY DAYS reviews

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#50re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 8:45pm

The man liked IN MY LIFE...

Only because he has a lemon fetish.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

thetinymagic2 Profile Photo
thetinymagic2
whatever2
#52re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 8:52pm

blaxx: that's just my point, though ... if by anyone you mean "the known universe" then that's one thing; but if by anyone you mean "anyone in their position" or even "anyone in the business with a shot at the brass ring" then i respectfully disagree.

artists spend their whole lives hoping for a shot at the brass ring -- when someone dangles it in front of you, you grab, baby! you grab with GUSTO!!!

what do i know, though -- i *am* a management geek in a technology company ....

"You, sir, are a moron." (PlayItAgain)

sferezy
#53re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:03pm

I really enjoyed the show...

BUT

I don't think it belongs on broadway...it works better as an EDGES or (i know it's a stretch) a BARE in that it just isn't meant for broadway, but is still a great piece of work for regional theatres and colleges, etc.

I don't think its a crap show, I just don't think it is a BROADWAY show...it sucks that the reputation of this show will always be negative because it went to broadway. I feel if it didnt go to broadway, it would be talk of the town and every college/conservatory with a large theatre program would want to get their hands on it.

Kalimba Profile Photo
Kalimba
#54re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:03pm

Perfectliar, at least Hot Feet had good music and choreography, something Glory Days does not.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#55re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:04pm

Variety is Negative:

An irritating offshoot of the digital revolution is that it's democratized the filmmaking process, opening the floodgates for kids straight out of school with no life experience and no stories to tell to start making navel-gazing movies. Beyond the small-time local level or the ubiquitous solo show, theater is mostly spared that indignity because it costs more, requires more collaborators and demands an audience. But occasionally, one such immature self-indulgence slips through, such as "Glory Days," which slipped all the way through to Broadway...

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117937054.html?categoryid=33&cs=1

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#56re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:05pm

An irritating offshoot of the digital revolution is that it's democratized the filmmaking process, opening the floodgates for kids straight out of school with no life experience and no stories to tell to start making navel-gazing movies. Beyond the small-time local level or the ubiquitous solo show, theater is mostly spared that indignity because it costs more, requires more collaborators and demands an audience. But occasionally, one such immature self-indulgence slips through, such as "Glory Days," which slipped all the way through to Broadway.
Variety

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#57re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:07pm

Theatermania is Mixed:

The 90-minute tuner will likely be of primary interest to young men who still consider Superman's powers in contrast to Batman's a worthwhile debate or those who find the group's growing pains hitting them squarely where they live. As for older audience members, some may consider the whole enterprise laughably inconsequential, while others may very well decide Glory Days is not only a likable undertaking, but even a valiant one...

http://www.theatermania.com/content/news.cfm/story/13812

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#58re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:09pm

Why does the Variety review say "Anonymously directed by Signature a.d. Eric Schaeffer"? Does Shaeffer's name not appear in the Playbill?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#59re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:10pm

artists spend their whole lives hoping for a shot at the brass ring -- when someone dangles it in front of you, you grab, baby! you grab with GUSTO!!!

Sorry man, I know artists who would never embarrass themselves by taking on a big project if they're not ready.

You may think that if any of us was asked to be on a Broadway stage right now we would do it without considering the consequences, but for the mere opportunity.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

whatever2
#60re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:14pm

last thought: they got good reviews in DC ... the fluffers fluffed ... unlike youre noble hypothetical, im willing to believe they didnt believe they had a turkey in the oven.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#61re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:16pm

The songs with a message to impart are worse, however, notably "Other Human Beings," in which Jack responds to a harsh slur: "There are certain things/You never do to other human beings/That no one needs to learn/Cuz it's part of who we are." Huh?

I can't believe that's an actual lyric...that's just bad writing.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#62re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:17pm

And that my friend, is what separates good and poor artistic judgment.

The Insider
#63re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:18pm

the times is gonna destroy it for good

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#64re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:20pm

is it at all possible that this will close tonight?

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#65re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:20pm

I just submitted my review for my school's online paper... it was not positive.

whatever2
#66re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:24pm

sorry, but i cant let that one go:

my impression from your comments is that youve set the bar on self-awareness painfully high. kudos if you can live up to it, but i cant fault people whove been so widely told theyve "done good" for believing it.

that's a level of professional "judgment" i just cant hold others to ... sorry.

ok, now im done.

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#67re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:25pm

"Why does the Variety review say "Anonymously directed by Signature a.d. Eric Schaeffer"?

Maybe the lack of direction?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#68re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:30pm

my impression from your comments is that youve set the bar on self-awareness painfully high. kudos if you can live up to it, but i cant fault people whove been so widely told theyve "done good" for believing it.

It's Broadway, love, that bar is at the highest it can be. Painfully high? Perhaps, but I'm glad it is.

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#69re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:32pm

westcoastdrama- calling someone 'hypocrite' is little uncalled for....WBaF just prefered GLORY DAYS over CRY-BABY. He is not raving about the show..He just said... I think...the word he describe it...as having a "potential" yet it does not belong on Broadway and he was just hoping that the critics will be nice to the show...he does not control Ben Brantley or other critics..SO no matter what.. if its a BAD SHOW~ it will still get panned tonight. My point is let's not make this personal!

and YES.. I have learned from my past mistakes. Let everyone expressed their opinions, if you read something you dont like...just let it go...

like you said .. LET'S MOVE ON! re: GLORY DAYS reviews

J*

Updated On: 5/6/08 at 09:32 PM

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#70re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:33pm

Blaxx, somehow whenever I read your comments, I just hear Janice saying them!!

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

whatever2
#71re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:34pm

blaxx, LOVE, please stop baiting me with non-sequiturs ...

i didnt question how high the bar was for reaching broadway, i questioned how high you were setting the bar on others' capacity for self-reflection.

westcoastdrama
#72re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:35pm

There is nothing wrong with calling anyone a hypocrite based on his/her postings here. I have seen much worse . . .

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#73re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:36pm

I did like the band. Updated On: 5/6/08 at 09:36 PM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#74re: GLORY DAYS reviews
Posted: 5/6/08 at 9:37pm

Sure, love. I just think that any professional theatre artist would at least have a notion of what it takes to take a show to Broadway. My perception, of course. I end it here.