Quilters

cfmiller Profile Photo
cfmiller
#1Quilters
Posted: 5/14/08 at 10:17pm

Has anyone actually seen this show? Thoughts?

Does anyone know of any recordings, original or other productions? My vinyl guide does not mention any cast recording made.

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#2re: Quilters
Posted: 5/14/08 at 11:03pm

I saw this many years ago in a production at the Empire Theater in Richmond, VA. I remember it being an enjoyable evening of theater for what it was, but cannot remember a tune to save my life. I would suppose it is good for a subscriber-based theater (especially here in Virginia) based on its appeal and themes. I do not know of any recordings.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#2re: Quilters
Posted: 5/14/08 at 11:25pm

I love Quilters. It is a great piece. There is no recording, however. You might be able to find some clips on Youtube or something. I love the music. It is a very good show in my opinion :)

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#3re: Quilters
Posted: 5/15/08 at 12:31am

In contrast to matty, I remember a lot of the tunes. I found it absolutely delightful. Stories of pioneer families have always fascinated me. Um...Hmm. I can't think of anything better to say. At times it was quite dramatic, with one woman dying in agony from a self-induced miscarriage, a young girl's sister and father dying while she sat in the dugout, a fire destroying a town. But it had lots of really lovely moments, too, many quite playful and whimsical.

Also, the show can be done with 7 women, but when I saw it there were more than twice that amount.
Updated On: 5/15/08 at 12:31 AM

pndmnd
#4re: Quilters
Posted: 5/15/08 at 9:23am

I did a production of Quilters, and actually had a lot of fun with it. For people who don’t know, it’s a cast of 7 women who play all the roles (male and female). It’s not a Broadway style show, in my opinion, but great for regional theatre! In my opinion there is some good music, and, unlike some period shows, the style is very appropriate to the show. If you’ve ever seen the “Sunbonnet Sue” monologue, that’s from Quilters. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

NDR
#5re: Quilters
Posted: 5/15/08 at 10:39am

Before seeing the show, I had serious reservations just based on the name, but the show is quite good. Some beautiful harmonies, solos, group numbers, heart warming and tragic stories, etc.
I would definitely recommend seeing it.

PottstownTeacher
#6re: Quilters
Posted: 5/15/08 at 10:53am

I saw this show about 100 years ago at Allentown College. I really liked it, and if you have a female-heavy company, definitely give it a look. I have the score and I think somewhere in a box I have a cassette tape of the entire score which was done at a dinner theatre in Pennsylvania. No, I KNOW I have it. It's just a question of finding the correct box.

me2 Profile Photo
me2
#7re: Quilters
Posted: 5/15/08 at 9:27pm

I saw it done very beautifully and was saddened by the fact no recording has been made. It's a beautiful score.
Broadway Mouth: 20 Great Broadway Songs of the Past 10 Years: “Dividing Day”

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#8re: Quilters
Posted: 5/15/08 at 9:39pm

Now, I do think I need to clarify, though I don't remember much of the music, the show left an impression. I did enjoy it. Best of luck finding a recording.

PottstownTeacher...good luck digging through boxes, I have been there on many an occasion! It can be frustrating and bad for allergies (and for mental state when you know it is there, but you can't find it)!