pixeltracker

Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now- Page 2

Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now

Pianist3912
#25re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 4:28pm

Actually, the highest belt for Elphaba in the score is an F, which I disagree as being easy to belt/sustain.

Also, Idina is the EPITOME of the vocal destruction brought on by the score. Surely you've heard her sing the score at the beginning and ends of both her B'way/London runs, no?
Updated On: 6/9/08 at 04:28 PM

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#26re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 4:51pm

all this discussion seems to be about the toughest song for a female. Im curious what you think it is for a male.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

oohshizz146 Profile Photo
oohshizz146
#27re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 4:55pm

DONT FORGET...SO MUCH BETTER IS ALSO A REALLY HIGH SONG TOO!
=X

Purple Summer if as a group, have you guys seen the sheet music? Epic harmonies.

"I told you, NO Rodgers and Hammerstein!"- Bart Simpson

FosterChild Profile Photo
FosterChild
#28re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 5:06pm

Not only is it laughable that so many have mentioned "so much better" it's actually sad that this is what the kids on this board know to be musical theater at it's most "difficult". Poor Laura Bell Bundy is fried and makes it *sound* about 300 times more difficult than it is. All the understudies who've gone on make it sound like a completely different song and far from "difficult". How has no one mentioned the entire score of EVITA? Those songs and songs in Gypsy, Sunday, that's what you call difficult. Not, Xanadu and Legally Blonde. I'm ashamed for some of you, really.

Grand Motel Profile Photo
Grand Motel
#29re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 5:09pm

It was laughable when they said it on the "reality" show and it's laughable this thread exists with all it's stunningly absurd answers but good for you Foster for posting what you just did.

heathurrr
#30re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 5:11pm

On the Company DVD bonus features Raúl Esparza talks about how, in Company, 'Someone is Waiting' is harder to sing than 'Being Alive' because it's a very light, flowing song. He says something along this lines of Bobby floating above the music. He says this is harder to sing because Bobby is still holding back and then, by the time 'Being Alive' happens (and is earned, in Esparza's words) he is allowed to completely let himself out - he is free to let it all spill out.

"As we all should probably have learned by now, to be a Stephen Sondheim fan is to have one's heart broken at regular intervals" - Frank Rich

Dearest, how can this be so? You were dead, you know. - Candide

Oh my god, this show has everything! Half naked guys and girl on girl action! - [title of show]

(My avatar? Why, yes! That is Laura Benanti making out with a chick!)

IsolatingAge
#31re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 5:32pm

I know it's not on Broadway anymore, but I think Les Mis probably has some of the hardest high female belts... ever.

On Broadway, I'm gonna say "It Won't Be Long Now" is harder than SMB, but since I'm not really trained in musical theory and I haven't listened to every show on Broadway right now I can't say what the hardest is.

You must think I'm still sixteen. I dropped out of high school for a reason. And I don't care if you're pretty. I'm not admitting you are right. My soul is not a stage. I won't pretend I'm anything I'm not

COOOOLkid
#32re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 5:41pm

How has no one mentioned the entire score of EVITA?

I think the OP was asking for a show that is still running on Broadway.

I think Rose's Turn is the most difficult to perform well without looking like an amateur.

"Hey, you! You're the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber!" -Family Guy

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#33re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 5:44pm

I think the most vocally difficult song to sing on Broadway right now is "So Much Better" because it is written entirely for the chest voice, is all over the break, with lots of long lines and tons of aspiration all over lyrics. "Everything's Coming Up roses" is difficult for similar reasons, but there's less consonant aspiration that allows you to save more air.

Hardest song to learn, without a doubt, is "It's Hot Up Here", and probably the most difficult song for an ensemble on Broadway right now due to all of the extremely difficult harmonies and you have to count like CRAZY due to all the difficult entrances.

Hardest song to perform, "Rose's Turn" - although maybe not as vocally challenging as some other songs, the number takes an INCREDIBLE amount of endurance to finish - it's a one act play in itself.

However, this thread isn't very fair, as most of the material in Broadway shows today is very difficult to perform. To be honest, to perform any number to the standards of a Broadway show is very difficult and draining. Other honorable mentions:
Paciencia y Fe
All of "In the Heights" in general
This Nearly Was Mine
All of "Wicked"

christhefish Profile Photo
christhefish
#34re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 8:44pm

Anything from Sunday in the Park

and anything sung by Karen Olivo in In the Heights - How she belts like that 8 times I week I will never have any idea.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#35re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 9:09pm

"Not only is it laughable that so many have mentioned "so much better" it's actually sad that this is what the kids on this board know to be musical theater at it's most "difficult". Poor Laura Bell Bundy is fried and makes it *sound* about 300 times more difficult than it is. All the understudies who've gone on make it sound like a completely different song and far from "difficult". How has no one mentioned the entire score of EVITA? Those songs and songs in Gypsy, Sunday, that's what you call difficult. Not, Xanadu and Legally Blonde. I'm ashamed for some of you, really."

What's laughable is your condescending attitude. I mentioned the role of Elle Woods, not just the song "So Much Better," and I'm no "kid" as you described me. The understudies for the role of Elle make it sound less difficult because they're not singing it eight times a week. By the way, I've enjoyed both of the Elle Woods understudies I've seen (Becky Gulsvig and Haven Burton) immensely.

Was the reality show using some hyperbole when describing it as the hardest song to sing on Broadway? Absolutely. However, I stand by my assertion that there is no more demanding female role on Broadway right now than the role of Elle Woods. I don't even think it's the best female role on Broadway, but it absolutely is the most demanding to play. No other actress spends that much time onstage and does as much singing and dancing as the actress playing Elle does.

Evita was not mentioned, because, as far as I know, there is no production of Evita playing on Broadway right now, and the poster asked about shows currently running.

What I'm "ashamed" of is your air of superiority and inability to recognize a difficult female role in a show written after 1985.

husk_charmer
#36re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 9:29pm

TO answer the question about male songs...while it isn't currently on Broadway, "Molasses to Rum" in 1776 is the male equivalent to "The Music and the Mirror." Rutledge goes the ENTIRE show with very little sung, and very little and then has to pull out that epic song with tons of passion, and it's draining. Most productions with any length go through multiple Rutledges.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

fabala3
#37re: Toughest Song to Sing on Broadway Now
Posted: 6/9/08 at 11:25pm

I totally disagree that no one other than Idina Menzel or Stephanie Block "acts" in Defying Gravity. Carmen Cusack is by far the best Elphaba of all closely followed by Lisa Brescia and Eden Espinosa. I am an alto so most of the Elphaba songs would be difficult for me, other than "I'm Not that Girl" and "For Good", which I actually performed with a friend of mine at a coffeehouse. It is easy to feel the emotion in both of those songs too. I think No Good Deed is definitely a difficult song to perform due to the emotions of grief and anger taking place. Just my opinion.

Videos