pixeltracker

Has Anyone Seen The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heights?- Page 2

Has Anyone Seen The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heights?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#25re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 6/28/08 at 9:44am

I saw Javier Munoz the Wednesday night after they won the Tony for best musical. I honestly think that this show would be fine without Lin playing Usnavi. I half jokingly call it the Bob Martin factor. There were people on here who were saying that there is no way Drowsy could continue when Martin was leaving to do the show inLondon because no one could replace him etc. However, the show did more then fine after he left and he had some replacements who did a good enough job to keep it going.

I feel the same thing for Lin. Yes, he created the part but it can be done by other people. I remember hearing a story from him at the stage door about how he originally never intended to do the role of Usnavi. He said that he was doing a work shop where the actors only had 20 hours to learn their parts. And, they were having trouble finding an actor who could handle the rap so he did the role in the workshop and sort of just took it from there. I don't think that by not having Lin in the role that the show suffers at all. The music is stil the same. The story is still the same and the message is still the same.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#26re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 6/28/08 at 11:04am

It's good to see all the Javier Munoz love!!!

Fiyero2 Profile Photo
Fiyero2
#27re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 6/28/08 at 11:33am

I saw an understudy on Wednesday night
he was really good and had a really nice voice, but, as expected he jus did not have Lin's presence. I personally felt that he fell into the background and really did not become the "star" of the show...
but for having such big shoes to fill, he did well!

How Do You Doent Real Life When Real Life's Getting More Like Fiction Each Day??

verynewyorkcurious Profile Photo
verynewyorkcurious
#28re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 12:06am

My friend and I won the lottery tonight (7/29), and got the understudy for Usnavi, Shaun Taylor-Corbett.

I hate to say this, but the show loses so so much without Lin-Manuel Miranda, who was brilliant when I first saw ITH back in February. Shaun Taylor-Corbett, first of all, didn't look right for the part. He and Robin De Jesus were practically the same size. He didn't have that charm, and presence (as the poster above said) that Lin-Manuel has. There also wasn't much chemistry between him and Karen Olivio. He was a decent understudy, but this is a role that is very hard to mimic.

Everyone seemed to love it though, but then again, most of the people there tonight saw ITH for the first time.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#29re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 12:31am

I disagree about Lin being Usnavi. I think people felt the same way about Bob Martin in Drowsy. That no one else could be the role. Yet, when he left do do the show in London people who said that were proven wrong and the repalcements did a wonderful job.

I am sure the same will happen for In The Heights if and when Lin leaves.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

verynewyorkcurious
#30re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 12:38am

I'm sure they'd cast a good replacement for Usnavi, but right now, I'm just telling it like I see it.

BNN
#31re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 12:45am

To parrot everyone else, I saw Javier Munoz as well and thought he was wonderful. I hope he becomes the replacement.

And I don't mean to brag but I did perform in two shows with him... when he was my counselor at Camp Broadway.

Tick Tock

verynewyorkcurious
#32re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 1:03am

I guess I got the wrong understudy.

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#33re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:29am

Were there a lot of people at the lottery?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#34re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 5:57am

I like how Winston just repeated himself totally. Sure, the posts were, like, a month apart. But then, they were also only three posts apart. What, we can't scroll up now?

I find it interesting how lately we've had three Broadway shows all starring their creators (ITH, PS, [tos]). And we can include 'Drowsy' if we want to go a little further back. Does this happen often? I still consider myself new to Broadway, so don't really know if there's historic precedent, or if this is a whole new thing going on.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#35re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 10:24am

Isn't this the first time that Shaun has been on in the role of Usnavi since the show opened on Broadway?

I take it that Javier is still out of the show. Anyone hear how he's doing?

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#36re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 10:28am

Shaun's been on at least once on Bway that I know of- back in May.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#37re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 10:28am

Last night was Shaun's first time on, I believe. He's also going on both shows today.
Updated On: 7/30/08 at 10:28 AM

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#38re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 7/30/08 at 10:40am

ok, found it: it was May 21st matinee- Shaun (u/s Usnavi), Janet (u/s Nina), Krysta (u/s Carla).

no idea if he's been on on Bway other than that though.

AntonEgo
#39re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:02am

Does anyone know if Lin Manuel Miranda is back from vacation? Thanks.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#40re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 8/5/08 at 11:10am

I think he's back today.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler
Updated On: 8/5/08 at 11:10 AM

ChelseaP Profile Photo
ChelseaP
#41re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/10/08 at 11:22am

I usually don't write on the boards, I'm more the reading type :) But I have to share that I saw Javier Munoz last night go as on Usnavi and I was beyond impressed. I thought he was perfect in the role and was so charmed with his charisma. I'm crossing my fingers that he takes over as the replacement, he is perfect for the role!
Updated On: 12/10/08 at 11:22 AM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#42re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/10/08 at 1:43pm

That's good to hear. I might get to see him this weekend.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#43re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/11/08 at 11:50pm

I just got back from seeing the show via lottery and have to say Javier was phenomenal as Usnavi.

Tonight's understudies were: Javier as Usnavi, Eliseo as Kevin, and Tony C. as Piragua Guy

This was my sixth time seeing the show, and I have to say it was revitalized compeltely by Javier and Eliseo. Around the 4th time, I found scenes with Carlos Gomez (especially the book scenes)to drag and although I've seen Eliseo as Kevin before, I really didnt appreciate him until tonight. His lower range is good, but he really shines in the higher notes and it really makes his moments and his songs special. I especially love his "NINA!" at the dinner scene right before "The Club". Carlos' "Nina!" has always been really lackluster and lacking effort. Eliseo screams it to perfection (think: Nessa in Wicked after Wicked Witch of the East, when she says "Elphaba!") It's just one line but really powerful if done correctly. Javier really annunicated the part, more so than Shaun or Lin have ever done it - which I liked - and he played it with a lot of emotion and heart (unlike Shaun Taylor-Corbett who I saw a few weeks ago, and I felt he completely phoned in the performance). I have to say I found Javier's Usnavi more likeable than Lin's. Javier played it with a bit more innocence that really made you care about his character and his journey. If you can make it, I'd definitely try and see him in his last show tomorrow night - Lin is back on Saturday. I'd also like to add, Marcy's Vanessa is getting much stronger. The last half of "Champagne" was absolute perfection - she played the combination of desperation (for Usnavi to stay) and anger (at herself for possibly being too late) phenomenally.

And yes, Javier is seXxxy

rentheadca
#44re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/12/08 at 8:13am

I loved Javier, Shaun, and of course Lin. I saw Shaun before I saw Javier, and I liked him better, but Javier was still great. Of course Lin was the best, but that's expected...
You're lucky you got a Kevin understudy!

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#45re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/12/08 at 8:32am

I agree with every word that dshnookie has said. I saw the same cast at the Wednesday matinee and absolutely loved it. I liked LMM a bit better vocally, but not being an English native speaker, I appreciated the fact that Javier Munoz was easier to understand than LMM when singing.

rentheadca
#46re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/13/08 at 8:33am

is Lin supposed to be out tomorrow? The last time I saw the show with my Aunt we saw Shaun, and I'd feel bad having her bring me again and not see Lin.

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#47re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/13/08 at 9:38am

I believe he's out the whole week

math678
#48re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/13/08 at 12:28pm

This is my first time posting, and after a quick search, I don't see any updated information ... has there been any word on when in February Lin-Manuel Miranda is leaving? Thanks in advance.

rentheadca
#49re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
Posted: 12/13/08 at 12:35pm

ohh re: Has Anyone Gotten The Understudy for Lin Manuel Miranda in In The Heigh
thanks! I think we'll be seeing something else :/