pixeltracker

ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def- Page 3

ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def

#50re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 4:53pm

So does anyone know? Is In The Heights going to have to give back any of their Tony's because of this plagiarism?

BDavis0092
#51re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:26pm

I read this whole thread and still don't really know what the purpose is...

We have people saying ITH is like Rent...so now no one can write a show set in a NYC neighborhood. Oh wait, Avenue Q is like Rent which would mean ITH is like Avenue Q.

And seriously, Lin isn't stealing other peoples music. He (as does EVERY writer) has inspirations. He even gives reference to Cole Porter (Give him some credit!). So what if his music resembles some of his inspirations? Every songwriter models their sound after their inspirations. His music is going to sound like the music he listens to. If he has that 1-2-3 line stuck in his head when he's writing 96,000 maybe he's going to use it. I don't think stealing a melody with 3 numbers is taking someone elses song.

www.youtube.com/BwayNY225

Craww
#53re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:34pm

I submit that it wouldn't be an authentic hip-hop score without a little sampling.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#54re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 9:29pm

I thought the act one finale of In the Heights was very similar to Rent. Nina and Benny find each other in the chaos of the blackout and share a kiss and Roger and Mimi find each other amidst the riot and share a kiss. But, it could have very well been an homage. It's clear from the Tony performance that Lin is a fan of Rent.

SporkGoddess
#55re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:08pm

Eh? Aren't the characters at the cafe during the Act I finale?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 6/17/08 at 11:08 PM

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:10pm

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 11:10 PM

BWayJunkie
#57re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/18/08 at 1:58am

lol.. the progression of this thread is kinda funny. I don't know if I am the only on who is leaving a comment here who actually lives in Washington Heights, but if I opened my window right now and listened for some music, I'd basically here some of the ITH orchestrations. If Lin wrote the ITH show that was 100% true to Washington Heights, most of the people who saw it wouldn't understand it. Bachata and merengue probably aren't in the repertoire of music typically found say in a family from Kansas who are seeing a Broadway show for the first time. Its general knowledge that Lin-Manuel is a fan of Rent and even more so, West Side Story. I love ITH and don't care really where he got what from. What music is totally original anymore? Sampling music in this show actually works to its advantage because not only does the show cross musical boundaries by combining genres, it also makes the show relatable to a broader audience by referencing different things... plus, everyone called Spring Awakening the new Rent. Its all a matter of opinion. With Rent closing, its good to know that something that can have the same impact is up and running. And if ITH is like Rent, the target audience is much different. Oh well, just my $.2

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#58re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/18/08 at 2:20am

Very well said BWayJunkie
(except that $.2 would be 20 cents, not 2 which is $.02 but thats just me being picky)

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 6/18/08 at 2:21am

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 02:21 AM

rgaywrites Profile Photo
rgaywrites
#60re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/18/08 at 4:50am

96,000 samples from several well known hip hop songs from the late 80s and early 90s, quite likely the same songs that Mos Def et al sampled. One section, in particular is from a song by Boogie Down Productions. I am trying to remember the names but am completely blanking. I don't think this is a secret or a theft because anyone who listened to hip hop from that era is quite familiar with those songs. In fact, when I first heard 96,000, I started singing the BDP song.

The original lyrics were "1, 2, 3. The crew is called BDP but if you want to take it to the tip top, stop the violence in the hip hop, Y O."

In 96,000 the lyrics are "1, 2, 3, what would you do with 96Gs blah blah blah esa pregunta es tricky. I know."

The song is an homage to the musical influences that shaped the composer.

seventypercentcocoa
#61re: ITH's 96K = rip off of Black Star/Mos Def
Posted: 6/19/08 at 5:25pm

THANK YOU rgaywrites.

The only thing worse than sniveling little musical theatre crackheads who think they know EVERYTHING about musical theatre are sniveling little musical theatre crackheads who think they know EVERYTHING about HIP HOP.

Hip Hop as an artform has been rooted for over two decades in paying homage to those who have made valuable statements, or even hot beats, before them.

Gee, kind of like theatre. Who woulda thunk it?

"It could be worse. You could have majored in TECH theater...then you'd really be poor."