Funny Girl

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#25re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:15pm

"I'm a liberal. That isn't what I said. And I wasn't speaking from a political standpoint."

And from a political standpoint, liberals can be just as close minded as conservatives, but I'm not here to start a politics war.

Anyway, I think a revival of Funny Girl could work, but not with Block, and not without many, many, changes. You may be looking at the show as if it were any old show, but producers know that audiences will compare the star to Streisand, and because of the problems with the book, audiences may not enjoy it. Streisand carried the show back then, and I can't think of anyone who could now.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#26re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:27pm

"But I want you all to actually put up a good fight. "

No one is looking to start a fight. Others and myself have given you our reasons as to why we don't think she, or a revival would work.

"People thinking negatively but never going into detail as to why."

We have given you details as to why.
1. Stephanie does not have the look. She's too pretty. She just doesn't embody Fanny. She doesn't have the "goofy" quality.
2. Stephanie has a great voice, but a good voice is not enough to carry a show.
3. The book has problems. Sure they can be fixed, but it could also require new songs, and since Jule and Bob are not around to do it, a producer would have to hire a new set of writers. In addition, a new book writer would need to be found. Even more money.
4. There are other people who are more fitting for the role, such as Kritzer.
5. Producers would need to find a star who can make audiences forget about Streisand and pay attention to the new star. I don't know if Block could do that.
6. Block doesn't have that innocent quality that Fanny always embodies.
7. It is believable that Streisand, who was not the most beautiful woman, could get into the Follies because of her amazing voice. It is not believable that Block could get into the Follies just because of her voice. She wouldn't need the powerhouse voice because she is already pretty enough to get in.
8. The screenplay from the film could be used, but Columbia Pictures probably won't allow it without many costs.

"Here is the question I pose:
Why is this board filled with Stephanie-haters?
"

Oh, simply because I do not agree that Stephanie could work in the role, I am a Stephanie hater? Grow up. I am a fan of hers. I think she has a great voice, and I would love to see her in more shows, just not Funny Girl. But because I do not agree with you, I must hate her, and all of her past performances.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#27re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:36pm

Stephanie J. Block has a nice voice, is pretty, and can act. FUNNY GIRL needs a STAR in the role. Block I'm sure would be great for a regional theatre production. For a top-notch revival you need to be wanting to get on your feet the second "I'm the Greatest Star" ends. Block simply lacks the star power and spark to keep the spotlight on her.
Leslie Kritzer stole the show right from under Laura Bell Bundy in a two-line role in LEGALLY BLONDE, that's the kind of actress you need to headline this kind of show. Debra Messing would have been a wonderful choice ten years ago.
As it has been said before, with such an awful book, the show should be revived by Encores!

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#28re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:48pm

xluckystar2107x -- I can't respond to your PM. You have your PMs blocked.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#29re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 5:48pm

What about Mimi Hines?

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#30re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 6:10pm

BrodyFosse123:
ok i'll fix it.
thanks.
Updated On: 6/17/08 at 06:10 PM

xluckystar2107x Profile Photo
xluckystar2107x
#31re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 6:14pm

thanks guys for humoring me a bit.
we'll see what happens in the future.

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#32re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 8:59pm

Here's Mimi Hines performing songs from "Funny Girl" on The Ed Sullivan show.

http://www.bluegobo.com/production.php?var=10103&mode=P&vid=0

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

thejcm Profile Photo
thejcm
#33re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 9:12pm

ray, I had never thought about Debra Messing (10 years ago)...that's awesome.

"Who says you can't bend over backwards and eat bugs if you want to? I guess the bugs would probably say you can't do that that, but assuming that they are willing and consenting bugs, then there's no problem. Let's wig out eating bugs." -RuPaul

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#34re: Funny Girl
Posted: 6/17/08 at 11:22pm

Thanks Sondheimboy, even if your screen name is scarey.
I saw Barbra as a teenager and she blew the roof off, then later I saw Mimi and she was so different but still took the part and ran with it.
Whoever said the book is terrible is clearly the book God of Broadway, NOT.
The book can work perfecly if the show is cast, designed, choreographed and directed well.
Block has the Star Power, Leslie has the chops and timing if not the stature, but the show and score is certainly ready for a Revival.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#35re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/21/08 at 6:23pm

Watching Martha Plimpton (who I find to be brilliant) in PAL JOEY, I couldn't help but think what a marvelous Fanny Brice she'd make in FUNNY GIRL if she had a bigger voice.

Though her range would probably top out at "I'd Rather Be Blue," she certainly has the unique look, comedic chops, and dynamic star quality that's needed for the role.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

BrodyFosse123
#36re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/21/08 at 6:43pm

"I'd Rather Be Blue" only appeared in the film-version of FUNNY GIRL.

It is not part of the Broadway score.

fflagg Profile Photo
fflagg
#37re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/21/08 at 7:03pm

when all is said and done you need a STAR.

No one on Bway is a b/o star who is also Jewish who is also a magnificent actress and singer and who would bring in the people.

Do you know what happens when you let Veal Prince Orloff sit in an oven too long?

somethingwicked
#38re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/21/08 at 7:26pm

BrodyFosse123, I'm aware. I was just citing an example from within the arena of the show to compare to Plimpton's vocal range.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#39re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/21/08 at 7:37pm

It's Diana DeGarmo. Anyone who saw her Penny Pingleton will know she is up to the job.

somethingwicked
#40re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/21/08 at 7:41pm

Diana DeGarmo doesn't have anywhere near the maturity to pull off a role like Fanny Brice, nor does she have the right look. Are you telling me she'd be believable as a Jewish girl who is compared to "a bagel on a tray full of onion rolls"?

Just because she has solid comedic abilities and a stellar voice doesn't maker her right for something on this grand of a scale. Penny Pingleton and Fanny Brice are in two completely different ballparks.

Leslie Kritzer seems to be the best choice of the crop of actresses who could actually do the role today. Some of the reviews from when she did it at Papermill almost ten years ago said she even eclipsed Streisand in her performance, but September 11th killed any hopes of a transfer for that production.

Updated On: 12/21/08 at 07:41 PM

Broadway Baby 2
#41re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 12:24am

I would welcome a Funny Girl revival.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#42re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 12:51am

I love the idea of Martha Plimptom in the role, but one of the thrills of FUNNY GIRL is to hear the exciting vocals during songs like "Cornet Man" (one of my favorite showtunes ever written), "Don't Rain On My Parade," and those big exciting numbers.
I do agree that Plimptom has the looks, acting skills, and comedic chops for the role. Then again that's why the role is so hard to cast, who has the looks, acting, comedy, presence, AND vocals down that can actually carry this show?
I'm all about Kritzer. Now that she did ON THE TOWN, maybe City Center can bring her back for FUNNY GIRL.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

jejr
#43re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 12:54am

The problems with the book were mostly because Ray Stark, one of the producers, was married to Brice's daughter and kept a tight control on what could and could not be used in the show. Also Nick Arenstein was still alive and they had to be careful about how his character was done.

A new book for a revival could correct these problems.

As for the look, I saw a production with Carol Lawrence, a beautiful woman, who played it without make up or with enough to play down the beauty and she was excellent.

BrodyFosse123
#44re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 1:02am

You all ARE aware that Barbra was almost 22 years old when she did FUNNY GIRL, right?

Barbra with Sydney Chaplin's abrupt replacement, Johnny Desmond:
re: Funny Girl

#45re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 1:36am

"The best way to see FUNNY GIRL is to watch the film. "

Well sorta. I don't find the film super satisfactory either. They did fix some of the book probs but, as classic and identifiable as My Man is for me, sacrilege to say as it is, to use it and cut two of my Styne all time faves, Who Are You Now and the sublime Music that Makes me Dance is unforgiveable.

I saw a semi pro production of Funny Girl a few years back and I agree and disagree with this thread. Yes, it's a flawed show--one reason Gypsy is revived so much even though it's never had a massive long run is book and score wise it's close to perfection, so to compare the two (even if Funny Girl was in some ways an attempt at another Gypsy--show biz based on fact story, Styne music, Sondheim approached to write the lyrics, and Jerome Robbisn ended up largely saving it with his doctoring out of town)isn't quite right.

That said I thought it was charming and fun live. I could see a revival--with the right star--being a success though not a big one.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#46re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 8:03am

"Diana DeGarmo doesn't have anywhere near the maturity to pull off a role like Fanny Brice, nor does she have the right look. Are you telling me she'd be believable as a Jewish girl who is compared to "a bagel on a tray full of onion rolls"?"

Oh brother.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#47re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 8:18am

I still think Ana Gasteyer should play Fanny. I know she's too old, but I don't care. If a 50 year-old Bernadette Peters can play Annie Oakley, Gasteyer can play Fanny Brice.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

somethingwicked
#48re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 11:25am

madbrian, Gasteyer has played Fanny.

She starred in FUNNY GIRL for Pittsburgh CLO back in 2003 opposite Robert Cuccioli, who was also Nick Arnstein in the Papermill Playhouse production with Leslie Kritzer as Fanny in 2001.

Updated On: 12/22/08 at 11:25 AM

BrodyFosse123
#49re: Funny Girl
Posted: 12/22/08 at 11:28am

Having seen Gasteyer perform the entire restaurant/"You Are Woman" sequence on the BCEFA/Actor's Fund concert of FUNNY GIRL, I'll have to say no to her as Fanny.

I don't know if it was nerves or jitters that night, but her acting and comedy bits were forced, fake and embarrassing to witness. She just didn't get the scene -- she was a mess and sadly attempted to be funny. Even her forced "I'm wanna be funny" yiddish touches in the song just didn't work on her.