pixeltracker

The Search for the Next Elle Woods: The Spoiler thread- Page 48

The Search for the Next Elle Woods: The Spoiler thread

latitudex1 Profile Photo
latitudex1
Posted: 6/2/18 at 2:38am

Ahhh...

Bailey Hanks vs. Autumn Hurlbert was the original Karen Cartwright vs. Ivy Lynn.

I miss this show and I wish someone would try this concept again. Who knows how many little careers this single show sparked. It certainly lit up these boards for a time. It's how I found the place initially. (Autumn Hurlbert is still has a divine voice and needs a Broadway shot. She's right for so many things now.)

It's probably never going to happen again considering how seriously those in the community take the craft, however.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Posted: 6/2/18 at 9:37am

That’s some rather interesting revisionist history Bailey Hanks has on the Chick-fil-A incident.

Updated On: 6/2/18 at 09:37 AM

AEA AGMA SM
Posted: 6/2/18 at 10:41am

adamgreer said: "That’s some rather interesting revisionist history Bailey Hanks has on the Chick-fil-A incident."

Of course, blame those nasty people for blowing it out of proportion. Chick-fil-A's stance was such a secret thing that was NEVER talked about on social media or any news outlets.

They can talk all they want about Bailey "being" Elle, but this statement of hers confirms a theory I've had about her winning since it happened: "It was a lot of money for a 20-year-old! Looking back, it’s not much now. Knowing what I know now, I probably should’ve asked for a bit more. But I was 20; you learn your lessons."

I'd be willing to bet she was making the Equity minimum, and that's why they went with the 20 year old with no experience and no agent, because she wouldn't know to ask for more, as opposed to the other contestant who was already well on her way to establishing her career and would have known that she should be making well above minimum to carry that show. (I also disagree that she simply was Elle, since the night I saw her, a few weeks before it closed, her southern accent crept in far, far too often for a girl who was supposed to be from Beverly Hills.)

binau Profile Photo
binau
Posted: 6/2/18 at 11:15am

What a wonderfully detailed, insightful and nostalgic look back at the past. I'm shocked that someone had the motivation and effort to co-ordinate everyone involved to produce this article - but I'm so glad they did. It's just brilliant.

RE: Hanks. If she really wanted to clear her name I wonder why she didn't choose to state that actually, she does support gay marriage. I suspect if she hasn't, she doesn't. And there is no need to look very far about why she doesn't. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Posted: 6/2/18 at 11:18am

I confess to actually rather enjoying her performance as Elle, much more than I did Becky Gulsvig or Kate Rockwell, but not nearly as much as I loved Haven Burton or LBB. That being said, it became apparent almost immediately afterwards that Broadway was far too forward thinking for her and not just because of the Chick-fil-A episode. She posted a lot of comments on her public social media pages about how “immoral” so many shows were and how Broadway was “over sexed.” She was also pretty public about her failed auditions for both the Bye Bye Birdie revival and Wicked, which I think was the last straw for her. She was a decent talent, at best, someone who maybe could have made a career in ensemble/ understudy tracks. She was certainly not destined to become Laura Osnes, and I think she fancied herself a star like that. Broadway is managing just fine without her.

Ultimately, I don’t believe that her inexperience was the reason she was cast. The article makes very clear that the final choice was Jerry Mitchell’s alone, and this has been corroborated by everyone associated with the show. I do think they believed she was the best choice, though I wish they’d gotten her a dialect coach. She certainly didn’t sound like a girl from Malibu.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
Posted: 6/2/18 at 11:21am

qolbinau said: "What a wonderfully detailed, insightful and nostalgic look back at the past. I'm shocked that someone had the motivation and effort to co-ordinate everyone involved to produce this article - but I'm so glad they did. It's just brilliant.

RE: Hanks. If she really wanted to clear her name I wonder why she didn't choose to state that actually, she does support gay marriage. I suspect if she hasn't, she doesn't. And there is no need to look very far about why she doesn't.
"

Her initial post on the subject had nothing to do with saying hello to an old friend. She actually wrote something to the effect of “proud to support them today” and then seemed genuinely surprised at the backlash. I couldn’t believe she was that naive. Given where she was from and the fact that her father was a Baptist preacher, this should not have been  great surprise to anyone, though. 

toddchris Profile Photo
toddchris
Posted: 6/2/18 at 6:38pm

I was such a huge Lauren fan, but I understand how her youth was an issue.  I was happy to find out she made it to the touring production of Legally Blonde as the Elle understudy.  I went to see it at the Kennedy Center (Becky was Elle).  They did a great job.  It was interesting that shortly thereafter, Becky had some kind of injury and Lauren played Elle for quite awhile after that.  I even took a train ride to Delaware to see her perform, but was disappointed as by then she had left the show to take over the lead role of Sandy in the touring production of Grease.  Luckily, that show came to DC and I ended up seeing her three times at the National Theater.  Her voice had matured and continued to get better year after year.  I’m glad that she’s been able to have a successful career in musical theater.  Loved her version of Hopelessly Devoted.  https://youtu.be/X1wluH5oRbk

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Posted: 6/6/18 at 3:24am

She has totally rewritten history. Her original post can be found online. What a liar.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1761279

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
Posted: 6/6/18 at 3:25am

The way I remember it, there was a specific day that people on social media chose to get Chick-fil-a and post about it in support of their homophobic views. Did I make that up?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
Posted: 7/23/18 at 10:34am

Anyone plan on attending the 54 Below reunion concert tonight or tomorrow? Be sure to report back!