pixeltracker

South Park... The Movie... The Musical

South Park... The Movie... The Musical

jagfkb
#1South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/3/08 at 11:34pm

Honestly, if the unintelligent Mel Brooks humor could be put on Broadway, why not an intelligent cartoon movie? Honestly, the score is so ready to transfer to Broadway, it almost seemed that it WAS written for a musical. Also, it really has some interesting messages, about censorship and meaningless wars. The only problem I see is how to convey the children. They could do what they did in Spelling Bee, but I think it would go well with the message of the show to use actual teenagers (13 year old, not 1South Park... The Movie... The Musical. Also, could you imagine the casting? How about John Tartaglia and Barret Foa as Terence and Phillip, Cheyenne Jackson as Satan, Edward Hibbert as Big Gay Al, and... Patti LuPone as Shiela! Also, so many of the jokes could be fitted for today. When they refer to the year 3000, it almost cals out for a Jonas Brother joke. Or, at the end, when Cartman starts swearing to electricute Saddam, replace him saying Barbra Streissand with Patti LuPone (Alot of Patti, no?).

Thoughts?

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#2re: South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/3/08 at 11:43pm

Yeah, I'm a big South Park fan, but it would never work.
And please don't ever compare Matt Stone and Trey Parker to Mel Brooks.
They have said they love musicals...and aren't they working on something with the writers of Avenue Q?
I feel much of the humor lies in the style of animation, and would not work on a stage.
No, definitely wouldn't work.
Your casting is hilarious though, but who the hell would play the kids?
And they would not replace Babs with Patti. The anti-barbara jokes are there for a reason, have you ever seen the mecha-streisand episode?

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#2re: South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/3/08 at 11:56pm

"Honestly, the score is so ready to transfer to Broadway, it almost seemed that it WAS written for a musical."

Exactly what part of the movie gave you impression it wasn't a musical to begin with?

jagfkb
#3re: South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/4/08 at 6:59am

^^I see your point, but lets remember the Academy Awards, where robin williams sang Blame Canada with a chorus made of the rockettes, and in the end, in my opinion, it looked better than the animated sequence for that song.

^What I meant was that score almost seemed that it was written for a professional Broadway musical (Tommorrow Night? Five part harmony?).

WickedBoy2 Profile Photo
WickedBoy2
#4re: South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/4/08 at 7:23am

It was always seen as a movie musical. Not many see it as otherwise!

A young actress with Noel coward after a dreadful opening night performance said to him 'Well, i knew my lines backwards this morning!'' Noels fast reply was ''Yes dear, and thats exactly how you said them tonight'!'

Cutielyricist Profile Photo
Cutielyricist
#5re: South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/4/08 at 10:11am

I always thought that it would be great material for an actors fund one night only benefit. I could see all sorts of stars up in it. I vote Mary Testa as Kyle's Mom. Jesse Tyler Fergusen as Kyle, Dan Fogler as Cartman, Shuler Hensly as Satan,

anyone else?

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/4/08 at 2:04pm

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 02:04 PM

Enjolras77 Profile Photo
Enjolras77
#7re: South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/4/08 at 3:46pm

Lonny Price as Gerald Broflovski? Debra Monk as Sheila?

"You pile up enough tomorrows, and you'll find you are left with nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays. I don't know about you, but I'd like to make today worth remembering." --Harold Hill from The Music Man

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 7/4/08 at 3:48pm

Updated On: 5/3/09 at 03:48 PM

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#9re: South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/4/08 at 3:50pm

People like to not see it as a movie musical, because that would mean *gasp!* they liked a musical (oh noes!). But an excellent parody always excels at what it is lampooning, and so it is with 'South Park: The Movie'.

I don't think much of the composer though; you'll never hear any of HIS works on the Great White Way!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#10re: South Park... The Movie... The Musical
Posted: 7/4/08 at 5:54pm

Marc Shaiman?

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

Weez Profile Photo
Weez

Videos