pixeltracker

The Toxic Avenger - the musical?

The Toxic Avenger - the musical?

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#1The Toxic Avenger - the musical?
Posted: 7/14/08 at 12:27pm

Yes, it's true. To be staged next season by the George Street Playhouse. Here's the scoop from Playbill.com Any thoughts?

David Saint, GSP artistic director, announced the 2008-09 George Street season, which will also include the previously reported world premiere of the season opener The Toxic Avenger, a musical, by Joe DiPietro and Bon Jovi's David Bryan.

The Toxic Avenger (Sept. 30-Nov. 2) is based on Lloyd Kaufman's classic cult film. DiPietro (I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change) and David Bryan (keyboardist and founding member of New Jersey's Bon Jovi) share book and score credit. Tony Award winner John Rando (Urinetown, Summer Stars' Damn Yankees) will direct.

"Can a big, green mutant superhero find true love?" George Street asks. "Only in New Jersey. Remember "Little Shop of Horrors"? Another favorite B-movie goes musical in this smart, clever and entertaining new take on Lloyd Kaufman's cult-classic. Tromaville is one exit you don’t want to take off the New Jersey Turnpike — but Melvin Ferd the Third is determined to change all that. A toxic waste accident transforms him into The Toxic Avenger — New Jersey's own superhero — righting wrongs, beating bullies and romancing his ladylove, Sarah the Blind Librarian."

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#2re: The Toxic Avenger - the musical?
Posted: 7/14/08 at 1:03pm

HAHAHA

that should be fun

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#2re: The Toxic Avenger - the musical
Posted: 9/17/08 at 6:29pm

Listening to the clips its pretty fun! Excited to see it. http://site.thetoxicavengermusical.com/blog/

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#3re: The Toxic Avenger - the musical
Posted: 9/17/08 at 7:09pm

You know...when every cult movie is made into a musical, the effect just begins to lessen more and more. Ashman and Menken were onto something fresh and new when Little Shop of Horrors was born, but this is getting sorta ridiculous.

TxTwoStep Profile Photo
TxTwoStep
#4re: The Toxic Avenger - the musical
Posted: 9/18/08 at 11:18am

what was the similar one at New World Stages a few seasons back, where the first rows were given plastic for the splashing fake blood? i saw that one.

Then there's ZOMBIE PROM, of course.

Will: They don't give out awards for helping people be gay... unless you count the Tonys. "I guarantee that we'll have tough times. I guarantee that at some point one or both of us will want to get out. But I also guarantee that if I don't ask you to be mine, I'll regret it for the rest of my life..."

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#5re: The Toxic Avenger - the musical
Posted: 9/18/08 at 2:36pm

That sounds brilliant. I think I need to revisit the movie.

On a sort of related Troma note, I'd love to see a stage production of Cannibal! The Musical.

Maraclea2 Profile Photo
Maraclea2
#6re: The Toxic Avenger - the musical
Posted: 9/18/08 at 9:25pm

Evil Dead, TxTwostep

But you are, my love, the astronaut/ Flying in the face of science/ I will gladly stay an afterthought/ Just bring back some nice reminders

perfectliar
#7re: The Toxic Avenger - the musical
Posted: 9/30/08 at 7:04pm

Previews were supposed to start tonight but have been delayed until tomorrow... anyone catching this? I'll be there on Thursday, 10/2.

Videos