Adam Guettel update?

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#1Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/15/08 at 5:59pm

Sooo... what has he been doing since he and William Goldman tragically fell out and will not be completing what would have been the greatest musical since man first banged two rocks together and thought "that sounds kinda groovy"? It's been a while, and I'd like to think he's working on something brilliant that'll come out sometime in my lifetime.

(... dammit, I still get depressed about it. Adam Guettel update? )

Updated On: 7/17/08 at 05:59 PM

SporkGoddess
#2re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/15/08 at 6:07pm

Me tooo. re: Adam Guettel update?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#2re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/15/08 at 10:22pm

He's a "composer/lyricist living in Seattle" according to his most recent bio. Hopefully he's a composer/lyiricst living in Seattle working on something. But don't expect anything from him for at least five more years. He's veeeery slow.

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#3re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/15/08 at 10:24pm

Guettel has said that part of his enjoyment of composing is writing a song, and then tinkering with it ad naseum. So even if he is working on something, don't expect it for a long long long while.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

UAisGREAT
#4re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/16/08 at 12:26pm

I personally know Adam. He splits his time between Seattle/New York/ and Vermont. He is an artist in residence at the Intiman Theater in Seattle where he has recently written a score for Bart Sher's production of Uncle Vanya. Adam is always working on something. Expect really great things from him in the future. 'Piazza' and Floyd Collins' were only the first of many things for Adam. I have heard some of The Princess Bride score and it is beautiful.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#5re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 12:14pm

Give Adam my regards UAisGREAT. I can't wait to see what he comes up with next. If only The Princess Bride had worked out, or is it working out again?

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#6re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 5:41pm

apparently he has been having lunch with my friend...
I am just reading his facebook status o_O

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

SporkGoddess
#7re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/17/08 at 5:45pm

If The Princess Bride ends up getting a second chance I will be the happiest girl in the world.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

UAisGREAT
#8re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 7/18/08 at 10:50am

As far as I know Princess Bride will not happen. The reason things fell through is because William Goldman (the original screenwriter and writer of the book for the musical) wanted 75 % f the profits. Adam is a smart businessman and would obviously not agree to that.

However, the good thing is that some of the songs from Princess Bride can be used for a different show given the context.

But I assure you Adam is always working on something...I am sure he will have something as big or even bigger then 'Piazza' in the future.
Updated On: 7/18/08 at 10:50 AM

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#9re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 8/6/08 at 1:25am

Well, it's good to know that the Richard Rodgers gene rubbed off on his grandson. Give him my best UA.
And I'm sure Sondheim has told him how impossible those Goldmans are. Jim Goldman supposedly had a fight with Sondheim over the book of Follies because he wanted to revise it for the '87 London production and Sondheim liked it as it was, etc. I believe they made up before Goldman's death though.

Mike3 Profile Photo
Mike3
#10re: Adam Guettel update?
Posted: 8/6/08 at 3:07am

There's a staged concert version of LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA next week at the Lyric Theatre here in Sydney. It will be great to hear that score again.

All proceeds will be donated to the Actor's Benevolent Fund of Australia.
Link

Videos